Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Aliens!!!

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

5 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It’s a cool video but if you don’t have time to watch let me know.  I’ll sum it up in four words.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Deranged Rhino

https://thedebrief.org/mysterious-new-warp-drive-patent-surfaces-online/

After appearing for decades in science fiction, then moving into an actual theory, a new patent for an updated warp drive was published last year to no fanfare. Like many other false starts in cutting-edge research, the patent may represent the next step in the expanding theory, or it could mean the practical, real-world design of a functioning warp drive is on the horizon.

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

After appearing for decades in science fiction, then moving into an actual theory, a new patent for an updated warp drive was published last year to no fanfare. Like many other false starts in cutting-edge research, the patent may represent the next step in the expanding theory, or it could mean the practical, real-world design of a functioning warp drive is on the horizon.

While cool, a couple quotes from this Suchard guy gives me pause:

“They wouldn’t take it,” he said of the response by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). “I think they didn’t understand the physics.”

and:

When asked where his patent will go from here, Suchard was particularly critical in his response. “I don’t trust anyone else to do the experiments,” he said, “because too many do them in the wrong way.”

Something smells fishy, especially since he doesn't want anyone but him to do the experiments (even though he admits he is not qualified to carry them out.)

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

This is a patent application, not a patent. You can file an application for anything. 

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

4. If military scientists, engineers, and technicians do possess paradigm-shifting alien materials technology, then the amount of progress made studying it must have slowed to a crawl as a consequence of not being allowed to share knowledge and insight with their civilian counterparts in academia and in the private industry. The extreme degree of authoritarian oversight and micromanagement needed to keep such a secret from the public for all these years just seems unsustainable to me. The psychological stress imposed upon the personal lives of all involved parties would be unreal, too.

Good stuff and welcome to (what should be) a ten year+ thread that jokingly started with this story (not this exact story, but subject): 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Technology/shipwreck-baltic-sea-ufo-millennium-falcon-disc-shaped/story%3fid=15471558

:classic_laugh:

This is my favorite out-there-topic by far because it’s the most fun, especially the more fringe you get with the “what-ifs”. In terms of just shooting the shit, the what-ifs are the most fun for me to consider, even if - no, especially if - it’s just for entertainment value. 

Which is why I highlighted the section of your post above. One possible “answer” to it that I’ve come across in my dives is also the one that would most fundamentally impact our world if it turned out to be true. In ways way beyond absolute proof that we are not alone, even on our own planet. 

There are lots of theories about a Secret Space Program existing in some, or multiple, fashions. Lots of “insiders” and people claiming to have been a part of it. A lot of hucksters too, of course. But the nuts and bolts of their answer to your question would be that most of the work was done off planet to prevent the problems you rightly raise. Or at least mitigate them.  

The idea being that the R&D into the “phenomenon” which was being done by the US government since the early 1930s (at least) was, over a period of three and a half decades, moved into private government contractors’ hands. From a secrecy perspective, this makes sense in theory. The more of the project that’s in private control, the less oversight from bodies like Congress, the more compartmentalized you could keep it.

But as you point out, extreme compartmentalization doesn’t make the research or development move very quickly. If anything, it hinders it. To that, the Secret Space Program theorists would say that over that same period of time when the private contractors (who are largely gov’t cut-outs rather than truly private) were wresting control of the projects, they were also making such rapid  advancements and breakthroughs with the tech through direct interaction with other intelligences, that they were able to move the operation off planet starting in the 1950s through the 1990s. To the moon at first, then Mars and beyond. At these locations you could guarantee that no one can talk (because they’re stuck off world), and also no unauthorized civilian can accidentally stumble upon any sort of test flight like they could if the work was being done on Earth in the age of Google satellite. 

Again, not saying that’s what’s happening or that I buy it - but that would be the “how” of it in terms of your question. Or at least one way to answer, there are likely others.

This one is my favorite though because if it’s true, and if it were ever disclosed to the masses, it would almost instantly change the world for (what I believe) to be the better. The kind of tech required to make that theory real, given back to the people who funded it in the first place, would offer solutions to so many different problems. So I root for it. 

But who the heck knows. 

:beer:  

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

however, without someone mentioning the Fermi Paradox: the mystery of why humans haven’t had definitive contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life, despite the seemingly near-certain probability of them being out there due to the absurd vastness of our universe (see: Drake Equation). Let’s briefly review some of the potential answers to the Fermi Paradox, shall we? All right then, here we go:

Now you've gone and done it. I suspect you have evoked what will be a sitcom maths reaction from @4merper4mer.

:chuckle:

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

4merper4mer
On 3/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, ComradeKayAdams said:

Oooh, I’m a big fan of the topic too! This thread appears to have everything: missing monoliths, memes, metamaterials, memory metals, inscrutable (to me) inside jokes, and fantastical links from our mad odd-toed ungulate friend. You can’t have a proper internet message board thread on aliens, however, without someone mentioning the Fermi Paradox: the mystery of why humans haven’t had definitive contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life, despite the seemingly near-certain probability of them being out there due to the absurd vastness of our universe (see: Drake Equation). Let’s briefly review some of the potential answers to the Fermi Paradox, shall we? All right then, here we go:

1. Aliens already have contacted us, but our nations’ governments are keeping it a secret from their citizens because they want to maintain social order.

2. Aliens are out there, but they haven’t contacted us yet because standard subluminal propulsion and speed-of-light communication via electromagnetic waves just take too darn long over galactic/extragalactic distances. Also, we’ve only had the technology to send and receive radio waves for about a century.

3. Aliens are out there, but they are afraid of contacting us for some reason (are we perceived to be too violent?).

4. Aliens are out there, but they don’t find us remotely interesting or unusual and therefore not worthy of their precious time to even bother contacting.

5. Aliens are out there, but their means of communication are simply beyond the detection capabilities of both our current technology and our biological senses.

6. This one is fun: aliens are out there, but they all tend to eventually build virtual worlds for themselves and thus never develop the motivation to explore the universe.

7. This one is also fun: the humanoid “aliens” are actually time-traveling human ancestors from a long-forgotten advanced civilization in Earth’s past (special relativity says you can do this by traveling very close to the speed of light), or perhaps even time-travelling human descendants from the future (not actually possible with the known laws of special relativity, but whatever…just roll with it).

8. Intelligent extraterrestrial life has existed numerous times before in our universe’s history, but they all fell victim to the same fate of killing themselves off before fully developing the technology to explore the universe. The moral assertion here is that highly organized/complex societies with highly advanced space-traveling technology require behavioral evolution away from selfish tribalism and toward peaceful cooperation.

9. Aliens are NOT out there because biological life is extraordinarily fragile and intelligent biological life is way too rare, with the implication here being that life never has enough time to fully evolve without being wiped out from terrestrial events (supervolcanoes?) or from extraterrestrial ones (large meteorites?).

There are lots of other theories, of course, that I won’t bother listing because of laziness. My ethical disposition poignantly draws me to Reason #8. In the unimaginative spirit of Occam’s Razor, however, I find some combination of Reasons #2 and #9 unfortunately most compelling. The most realistic way for aliens to exist in the manner that we commonly imagine them is for faster-than-light spacetime travel to be both physically possible and technologically attainable. This would mean that either special relativity is somehow wrong (er, incomplete) or that the wormholes theoretically allowed by the laws of general relativity can somehow open up and allow biological life to traverse them without our errant carbon-based friends getting destroyed (i.e., 4-dimensional spacetime is analogous to a piece of paper, and you can move from one side to the other by folding it). In either case, our current conceptions of spacetime must be shown to be very wrong (er, very incomplete). My Dad was a physicist at one point in his life, so…maybe he should be making this post instead of me. Oh well. All I know is that U.F.O. stands for “Unidentified Flying Object,” and that can easily mean all sorts of boring terrestrial things. Some of the more unexplainable sightings could merely be eccentric aerospace projects tested near military bases that are kept secret for national defense reasons, sans all the alien coverup explanations.

Metamaterials and memory alloys were mentioned in this thread, so I want to talk briefly about them too because my own academic background very peripherally dealt with advanced materials design. I’m a biomedical engineer by training, but I once had the good fortune of working with novel materials in a cleanroom (same technical environment where semiconductor-based computer chip devices are made) for a summer. The research group with which I worked was broadly interested in bio-MEMS (an acronym for Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) diagnostic transduction devices (sensors and actuators and what not). We had to construct some of the materials we used from the bottom up, literally atomic layer by layer. Graphene (sheets of specifically arranged carbon, basically) was one of those novel materials. While our own specific devices intended to operate at the micrometer level, there are others that perform at the nanometer scale and so must account for various exotic quantum mechanical effects. It was definitely an amazing summer experience that introduced me to the wide range of microfabrication and microcharacterization techniques used in modern materials science/small devices technology. Anywho…a few aliens-related points to wrap up my post:

1. Research into metamaterials has been happening since the early 1900’s. Research into the shape memory phenomena in metal alloys has been occurring since the early 1930’s (and metallurgy, of course, has been a field of study since the beginning of the Iron Age). The earliest known work with the shape memory effect in the nitinol alloy occurred in the late 1950’s. Since the Roswell UFO crash happened in the summer of 1947, the presence of nitinol would be the only unusual one of these listed materials found there. However, that could just simply mean that private military research into nitinol predated what was known publicly about it by a full decade…no alien conspiracy explanations needed.

2. Modern cleanrooms weren’t around until the 1960’s, advanced fabrication techniques like MBE (molecular beam epitaxy) didn’t begin to take off until the 1970’s, and some of the advanced characterization techniques like SPM (scanning probe microscopy) weren’t possible until the 1980’s. So any evidence of materials carefully engineered at the atomic layer level from the 1950’s and earlier would absolutely be very unusual!

3. There’s no possible way for metamaterials alone to answer the technical problem of near-speed-of-light/light/faster-than-light propulsion. These materials are engineered to “play tricks” with photons (light particles), but this only changes how the light travels through the material and not the actual speed of the photons themselves. Nor can any of these alterations affect the movement of the particles with mass that comprise whatever crystal lattice the metamaterials have. While practically an infinite number of material designs exist that can manipulate mechanical, electrical, light, and energy conversion properties at the bulk/macro scale, none of these can change fundamental laws of physics. Any media reports suggesting otherwise are being sensationalistic, unethical, and scientifically illiterate.

4. If military scientists, engineers, and technicians do possess paradigm-shifting alien materials technology, then the amount of progress made studying it must have slowed to a crawl as a consequence of not being allowed to share knowledge and insight with their civilian counterparts in academia and in the private industry. The extreme degree of authoritarian oversight and micromanagement needed to keep such a secret from the public for all these years just seems unsustainable to me. The psychological stress imposed upon the personal lives of all involved parties would be unreal, too.

Totally random aside: thank you for choosing to wear pants, Mr. The Guy in Pants! During this frustrating new Zoom era of uber-casual workplace culture, it’s especially nice to meet other like-minded individuals who still value dressing the part. I also appreciate the ironic undertone in your profile avatar to the left!

I can name that tune in four notes:

Except math

Accept math

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

The Guy In Pants

Oooh, I’m a big fan of the topic too! This thread appears to have everything: missing monoliths, memes, metamaterials, memory metals, inscrutable (to me) inside jokes, and fantastical links from our mad odd-toed ungulate friend. You can’t have a proper internet message board thread on aliens, however, without someone mentioning the Fermi Paradox: the mystery of why humans haven’t had definitive contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life, despite the seemingly near-certain probability of them being out there due to the absurd vastness of our universe (see: Drake Equation). Let’s briefly review some of the potential answers to the Fermi Paradox, shall we? All right then, here we go:

1. Aliens already have contacted us, but our nations’ governments are keeping it a secret from their citizens because they want to maintain social order.

2. Aliens are out there, but they haven’t contacted us yet because standard subluminal propulsion and speed-of-light communication via electromagnetic waves just take too darn long over galactic/extragalactic distances. Also, we’ve only had the technology to send and receive radio waves for about a century.

3. Aliens are out there, but they are afraid of contacting us for some reason (are we perceived to be too violent?).

4. Aliens are out there, but they don’t find us remotely interesting or unusual and therefore not worthy of their precious time to even bother contacting.

5. Aliens are out there, but their means of communication are simply beyond the detection capabilities of both our current technology and our biological senses.

6. This one is fun: aliens are out there, but they all tend to eventually build virtual worlds for themselves and thus never develop the motivation to explore the universe.

7. This one is also fun: the humanoid “aliens” are actually time-traveling human ancestors from a long-forgotten advanced civilization in Earth’s past (special relativity says you can do this by traveling very close to the speed of light), or perhaps even time-travelling human descendants from the future (not actually possible with the known laws of special relativity, but whatever…just roll with it).

8. Intelligent extraterrestrial life has existed numerous times before in our universe’s history, but they all fell victim to the same fate of killing themselves off before fully developing the technology to explore the universe. The moral assertion here is that highly organized/complex societies with highly advanced space-traveling technology require behavioral evolution away from selfish tribalism and toward peaceful cooperation.

9. Aliens are NOT out there because biological life is extraordinarily fragile and intelligent biological life is way too rare, with the implication here being that life never has enough time to fully evolve without being wiped out from terrestrial events (supervolcanoes?) or from extraterrestrial ones (large meteorites?).

There are lots of other theories, of course, that I won’t bother listing because of laziness. My ethical disposition poignantly draws me to Reason #8. In the unimaginative spirit of Occam’s Razor, however, I find some combination of Reasons #2 and #9 unfortunately most compelling. The most realistic way for aliens to exist in the manner that we commonly imagine them is for faster-than-light spacetime travel to be both physically possible and technologically attainable. This would mean that either special relativity is somehow wrong (er, incomplete) or that the wormholes theoretically allowed by the laws of general relativity can somehow open up and allow biological life to traverse them without our errant carbon-based friends getting destroyed (i.e., 4-dimensional spacetime is analogous to a piece of paper, and you can move from one side to the other by folding it). In either case, our current conceptions of spacetime must be shown to be very wrong (er, very incomplete). My Dad was a physicist at one point in his life, so…maybe he should be making this post instead of me. Oh well. All I know is that U.F.O. stands for “Unidentified Flying Object,” and that can easily mean all sorts of boring terrestrial things. Some of the more unexplainable sightings could merely be eccentric aerospace projects tested near military bases that are kept secret for national defense reasons, sans all the alien coverup explanations.

Metamaterials and memory alloys were mentioned in this thread, so I want to talk briefly about them too because my own academic background very peripherally dealt with advanced materials design. I’m a biomedical engineer by training, but I once had the good fortune of working with novel materials in a cleanroom (same technical environment where semiconductor-based computer chip devices are made) for a summer. The research group with which I worked was broadly interested in bio-MEMS (an acronym for Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) diagnostic transduction devices (sensors and actuators and what not). We had to construct some of the materials we used from the bottom up, literally atomic layer by layer. Graphene (sheets of specifically arranged carbon, basically) was one of those novel materials. While our own specific devices intended to operate at the micrometer level, there are others that perform at the nanometer scale and so must account for various exotic quantum mechanical effects. It was definitely an amazing summer experience that introduced me to the wide range of microfabrication and microcharacterization techniques used in modern materials science/small devices technology. Anywho…a few aliens-related points to wrap up my post:

1. Research into metamaterials has been happening since the early 1900’s. Research into the shape memory phenomena in metal alloys has been occurring since the early 1930’s (and metallurgy, of course, has been a field of study since the beginning of the Iron Age). The earliest known work with the shape memory effect in the nitinol alloy occurred in the late 1950’s. Since the Roswell UFO crash happened in the summer of 1947, the presence of nitinol would be the only unusual one of these listed materials found there. However, that could just simply mean that private military research into nitinol predated what was known publicly about it by a full decade…no alien conspiracy explanations needed.

2. Modern cleanrooms weren’t around until the 1960’s, advanced fabrication techniques like MBE (molecular beam epitaxy) didn’t begin to take off until the 1970’s, and some of the advanced characterization techniques like SPM (scanning probe microscopy) weren’t possible until the 1980’s. So any evidence of materials carefully engineered at the atomic layer level from the 1950’s and earlier would absolutely be very unusual!

3. There’s no possible way for metamaterials alone to answer the technical problem of near-speed-of-light/light/faster-than-light propulsion. These materials are engineered to “play tricks” with photons (light particles), but this only changes how the light travels through the material and not the actual speed of the photons themselves. Nor can any of these alterations affect the movement of the particles with mass that comprise whatever crystal lattice the metamaterials have. While practically an infinite number of material designs exist that can manipulate mechanical, electrical, light, and energy conversion properties at the bulk/macro scale, none of these can change fundamental laws of physics. Any media reports suggesting otherwise are being sensationalistic, unethical, and scientifically illiterate.

Totally random aside: thank you for choosing to wear pants, Mr. The Guy in Pants! During this frustrating new Zoom era of uber-casual workplace culture, it’s especially nice to meet other like-minded individuals who still value dressing the part. I also appreciate the ironic undertone in your profile avatar to the left!

Great insight and post! Appreciated and you are definitely well versed in the topic. I am not sure I fit within one of the beliefs listed; maybe a combination of some.

Science is capable of answering so many of our questions and you are right; able to rein in theories and add explanations to speculation. The metamaterial discussion is only one of the many and it does not allow for the speculation to stand because it put definitive restrictions on those speculations. 

Straying away from the physical conditions we apply to the topic; what if we have taken the entire alien concept out of context? What if they are not part of our physical world? Instead; their existence is a spiritual one. Able to manifest visibly and audibly to interact within the confines of the restrictions of our physical world. That's kind of where I am at. I do not technically believe the "life" out there exists on the same physical plane we do. It may be visible to us; we may even be able to interact with it, but I think we naturally want to apply our own physical restrictions on something that may be much more than that. 

I love science and without it; we would be completely lost. I also think there are some things science will never be able to completely answer. So, when it comes to aliens, ghosts etc; science may be able to scratch the surface but may never allow us to understand everything. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4merper4mer

On your Fermi list 1-6 are all highly implausible because, in large part, to something you alluded to in point 2.  Signals from long ago could reach us well after a society had succumbed to items 1, 3, 4, 5, or 6.  They should be coming from all over but exactly zero have been detected.  7 is fun.  

8 falls victim to 2 as well but beyond that, it is clear that we are within 1000 years of sending self replicating probes into the galaxy.  1000 is probably a big exaggeration, 50 is actually plausible.  We have certainly wasted enough potential that we could have already been doing this.

9:is the correct answer.  Sad but true.

• Cheers 1

Just Joshin

On #7, getting closer to the speed of light does not allow time travel. It appears you have time travelled because while you were going really fast, time proceeded at normal rates.  So when you return to normal speed, you in effect are in the future relative to where you started.  We may be saying the same thing.

#2 makes the most sense to me except the early universe expanded faster than the speed of light so it may be possible but we are not get advanced enough to discover.

#9 is also feasible combined with #2.  A very small set of things need to occur in order to develop intelligent life.  When it does it will statistically be a long distance away or a long time ago.

Interesting topic.

8 hours ago, Just Joshin said:

On #7, getting closer to the speed of light does not allow time travel

Unless your Stargate wormhole intersects with a solar flare

4 hours ago, devnull said:

Unless your Stargate wormhole intersects with a solar flare

Or you slingshot around the sun backwards in a captured Klingon Bird of Prey... or something.

• Haha 1

Beer__League__Hockey

Watched this docu-something last Friday:

https://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Disclosure-Secret-Technology-Behind/dp/B08WJQMJH9

That Dr. Greer guy has an odd way of presenting his "facts", but the basic takeaway is the gov't has this UFO technology but they are afraid to unleash it on the masses as it will cause mass chaos.  But once they do disclose, the tech will save the planet.  As we are obviously heading towards a climate DISASTER!!!!!

I have never seen an intersection of UFO conspiracy and greenie save the whales BS before.  Points for the custom mash up of fringe idears.

Alaska Darin
On 3/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Watched this docu-something last Friday:

https://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Disclosure-Secret-Technology-Behind/dp/B08WJQMJH9

That Dr. Greer guy has an odd way of presenting his "facts", but the basic takeaway is the gov't has this UFO technology but they are afraid to unleash it on the masses as it will cause mass chaos.  But once they do disclose, the tech will save the planet.  As we are obviously heading towards a climate DISASTER!!!!!

I have never seen an intersection of UFO conspiracy and greenie save the whales BS before.  Points for the custom mash up of fringe idears.

Uh, Star Trek IV?  Even the government is trying to recycle old plots and pass them off as new.

Beer__League__Hockey
14 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Uh, Star Trek IV?  Even the government is trying to recycle old plots and pass them off as new.

Sorry, I checked out of Star Trek as a kid after seeing worms getting pulled from an ear or two (KHAN!).

• Haha 1