Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Book Club

GG1

Making a concerted effort to get back into heavy reading.

Current book is The Red and The Blue, by Steve Kornacki.  It details the start of the color divide with the rise of Clinton and Newt.  Brings a lot of things into fuller context.

A tidbit that I didn’t know is that Bill & Hill’s famous Stand By My Man 60 Minutes interview was aired immediately after the Bills Skins Super Bowl, as Bill was in full damage control.   

• Like 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Currently I’m working my way through the life work of Lysander Spooner, both essays and legal theory.

As far as fictional works, I’m reading Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Currently I’m working my way through the life work of Lysander Spooner, both essays and legal theory.

As far as fictional works, I’m reading Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series.

I'm picking up my copy of Rhythm of War this weekend. I'll be binge reading it on my year end vacation. Each book has been amazing. The end of Oathbreaker had me all choked up.

Sanderson was brilliant in finishing The Wheel of Time for Robert Jordan. His Mistborn series was also well done. Stormlight is a much more epic undertaking.

• Like 1

My wife has been reading a lot of books I’ve the last 6 months. 
Her sister sends her books every couple weeks and she sends them to other family members after she reads them. 

• Like 1

I’m reading Germs, Guns and Steel by Jared Diamond. It goes through ancient societies (so far) and describes how natural resources geography, and people’s adaptations of these guided the way that different societies flourished or didn’t. I think next I may follow that up with a naval development history.  There’s a book I ran across not too long ago about this.  Unfortunately, I done recall the name or the author, but it will come to me somehow.

As for fiction. I’m re-reading a few in the Patrick O’Brian series.  I like to read those along with my iPad so I can look up maps and the flora and fauna that they describe, as well as man-o-war ship rigging, parts, and tools. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mead107 said:

My wife has been reading a lot of books I’ve the last 6 months. 
Her sister sends her books every couple weeks and she sends them to other family members after she reads them. 

Thats a great idea. My wife has them piled up in the bedroom. 

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

My wife and sister-in-law read about 20 books a month between them.  We end up donating them to the local "friends of the library," and taking a tax write-off.  We just took 300 there last month.

We hit used bookstores in the area, too...so they pretty much break even on books every year.

Thanks for the suggestion. About 1 time a year we visit the Salvation Army

22 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I have really enjoyed this series. This also reminded me to look to see if the new one was out yet (just last week!). Amazon thanks you for my purchase.

• Cheers 2

leh-nerd skin-erd

Newt/Clinton.  The life and times of Arthur Spooner.  The Western Front. Germs, Guns and Steel. I’m damn disappointed I clicked on this topic. 

I was about to read a book on financial planning, but got distracted by the Wizard of Oz and was still surprised when Dorothy and Scarecrow got roughed up by some very badass trees.  I’ve seen it multiple times and still those trees surprise me.  

The most recent book I read was “The Graves are Walking”—the story of the great potato famine in Ireland in the 1840s. To suggest it was a tale of a cataclysmic failure of government amplified by a “Don’t baby them!” attitude off the well-to-do of the day  would be an understatement.