Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Discussion: Best Places to Live in USA

Dubs

I recognize this is a very subjective topic, but I’m curious to have a discussion about states/cities/locations within the United States that would be appealing to relocate to. 

I’ve lived in three deep blue states, two of which I lived in deep blue cities within those states and have finally reached the point where I’m not sure I want to put up with it anymore. 

The Cato Institute Freedom index is a helpful guide to some potentially attractive states, but not a substitute for some first hand input or thoughts on the matter. 

So, just throwing this out there for discussion: Does anyone have thoughts on a great place to live that boasts low taxes, relatively hands off state and local governments, strong economy, decent weather, around a mid-sized city?

PS - not sure where this topic goes so I put in The OT section. Feel free to move if appropriate. 

Edited by Dubs part Dub

12 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Well, I can't be of much help. I was born in NY, moved to NJ, and now live in MA.

That's a blue streak if ever I saw one. 

sounds similar to me. That’s why I’m looking for input. 

Following states are interesting to me:

- Tennessee

- South Carolina

- South Dakota

- Idaho

- New Hampshire

Absolute no:

- NY

- CA

- IL

- MA

- NC

Edited by Dubs part Dub
  • Like 1

In the not too distant future we're going to move to one of the lakes in Southeastern Tennessee, close to Knoxville.  I've been all over the country in my adult travels and there's really nothing that compares to it.

The area truly checks all my boxes.  Climate is good through all the seasons, cost of living is cheap, liberty is high, and there's tons of things to do. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

In the not too distant future we're going to move to one of the lakes in Southeastern Tennessee, close to Knoxville.  I've been all over the country in my adult travels and there's really nothing that compares to it.

The area truly checks all my boxes.  Climate is good through all the seasons, cost of living is cheap, liberty is high, and there's tons of things to do. 

thanks!!

it’s so strange you say that. I’ve been looking at Knoxville and really liked what I’ve seen. There are a few areas outside the city I’ve been intrigued by. My concern is just that I don’t know a ton about it and when I was in Knoxville for work one time I remember thinking the city seemed kind of dirty and grimy. 

i looked at this years ago, since I could live where I wanted, with a few restrictions.

I've always thought Virginia was the perfect place. Mountains on one side, ocean on the other.

Four seasons, with the two best, spring and autumn, being relatively lengthy.

Reasonable state gov., and wanted to live in a university town.

We settled in Charlottesville, and have never regretted it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

i looked at this years ago, since I could live where I wanted, with a few restrictions.

I've always thought Virginia was the perfect place. Mountains on one side, ocean on the other.

Four seasons, with the two best, spring and autumn, being relatively lengthy.

Reasonable state gov., and wanted to live in a university town.

We settled in Charlottesville, and have never regretted it.

like the sound of that. Thanks. 

Whats your take on Richmond?

My wife’s sister and husband moved to Delaware from Pa       . He was a captain in the navy and In Pa when he retired.  
they love Delaware. 
 Our son loves Virginia. 
Our daughter and husband want go buy a getaway place in Vermont. 

I wrote about this in another thread (in politics). We want our winter road trip to be a scouting trip for a new place to live. Virginia would be the obvious place, but I do not want to jump from the NYS being ruled by NYC political frying pan, to the Virginia being ruled by metro-DC fire. May as well stick with the devil we know.

We are very familiar with the St Augustine area in Florida having had a condo there for years. We are looking for a few other spots in Florida, but... Florida.

We have areas in SC, NC, KY, and OH we are going to investigate further. We have gulf coast spots in Alabama and Mississippi circled, but if I have to deal with hurricanes, I may as well live in Florida.  And once again people are trying to talk us into Idaho.  We love South Dakota but we'd be right back to winter travel if we moved there.

• Like 1

Just now, Ann said:

I wrote about this in another thread (in politics). We want our winter road trip to be a scouting trip for a new place to live. Virginia would be the obvious place, but I do not want to jump from the NYS being ruled by NYC political frying pan, to the Virginia being ruled by metro-DC fire. May as well stick with the devil we know.

We are very familiar with the St Augustine area in Florida having had a condo there for years. We are looking for a few other spots, but... Florida.

We have areas in SC, NC, KY, and OH we are going to investigate further. We have gulf coast spots in Alabama and Mississippi circled, but if I have to deal with hurricanes, I may as well live in Florida.  And once again people are trying to talk us into Idaho.  We love South Dakota but we'd be right back to winter travel if we moved there.

All of those things are pretty much why we choose TN.  Va is turning more blue each year as more government employees flood the state.   So it's a matter of time before costs go crazy. 

Florida isn't much different from winter places - there are 4 months a year when you just don't want to be outside,  only they are in the summer.  I also hate driving there if there is any population whatsoever.   

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

All of those things are pretty much why we choose TN.  Va is turning more blue each year as more government employees flood the state.   So it's a matter of time before costs go crazy. 

Florida isn't much different from winter places - there are 4 months a year when you just don't want to be outside,  only they are in the summer.  I also hate driving there if there is any population whatsoever.   

My husband refuses to look at Tennessee.  I have liked every area of Tennessee we have visited, but for him it is a no go.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

My husband refuses to look at Tennessee.  I have liked every area of Tennessee we have visited, but for him it is a no go.

haha. Why the refusal?  Hates Payton Manning?

2 hours ago, Ann said:

We are very familiar with the St Augustine area in Florida having had a condo there for years. We are looking for a few other spots in Florida, but... Florida.

how bad is the winter in SD?  We talking Buffalo bad, slightly better, slightly worse, much worse?

36 minutes ago, Dubs part Dub said:

how bad is the winter in SD?  We talking Buffalo bad, slightly better, slightly worse, much worse?

Wind.  Dear God.

7 hours ago, Dubs part Dub said:

like the sound of that. Thanks. 

Whats your take on Richmond?

Richmond is warmer and more humid in the summer.

We prefer the mountain access we have here, and often hike in Shenandoah National Park along Skyline Drive. Did so this past Wed. and last Monday.

Simply beautiful, and only twenty five mins from here. 

We like the rolling hills, vistas horse farm areas and vineyards in this area.

I run a small commercial vineyard here. Only 1000 vines producing petit verdot, but it produces good product.

Quite like the Napa and Sonoma Valleys in CA. We used to live just south of Napa, and this reminds me of that without the political nonsense, traffic and crowds.

I enjoy astronomy, and this area, (I live about seven miles north of town), has very little light pollution, affording great opportunities.

I always wanted to live in a University town, and the University of Virginia is fantastic. 

Jefferson's Monticello and Madison's Montpellier estates are in this area.

Virginia  politics, taxes and other social issues are very reasonable. Roads are great, winters relatively short and quite mild.

Probably the best judges are my three kids who have all lived away after college, and two have moved back as soon as employment opportunities allowed, with the other unable to as yet due to her husband's career, but they love it here also.

No place is perfect, but I really like it here, enough to have commuted to either Miami, New York or Chicago my last fifteen years for work.

• Like 2

We had many ideas as I was approaching retirement.  I had seen most of the country with personal or work travel.  Almost any location has positives.

We ended up splitting our time: summers in NY (no place nicer in summer) and winters in Texas.  No snow or high temp/humidity to deal with so best of both worlds.  We are legal residents of Texas so get the tax benefits.  We end up about 7 months in Texas and 5 in NY.

What was the driver for Texas was family: kids were down there so it was a natural.  We get see to our grandson often and celebrate holidays with the family.  Best case scenario.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Any of you have considered living outside of America?

I have.

I spent my career in other countries about  twelve days per month, and have seriously considered it, for at least half the year.

Billsandhorns

I have not really been outside of the country. I live in a border town and have crossed over into Mexico but never beyond that. Where would a good place to live be?