Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Discussion: Best Places to Live in USA

Dubs

Nouseforaname
40 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

I have.

I spent my career in other countries about  twelve days per month, and have seriously considered it, for at least half the year.

If you had to choose?  If the job market would permit it, I'd be living in Rome. I'd also consider New York and Florida.

Nouseforaname
1 minute ago, Billsandhorns said:

I have not really been outside of the country. I live in a border town and have crossed over into Mexico but never beyond that. Where would a good place to live be?

Depends what you're looking for.  As a Canadian who sees shitty weather for 8 months a year, I've always wanted to live somewhere with warmer weather or the "european" style of living but moving away from my family (especially now that it is growing) is holding me back.

Billsandhorns
36 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Depends what you're looking for.  As a Canadian who sees shitty weather for 8 months a year, I've always wanted to live somewhere with warmer weather or the "european" style of living but moving away from my family (especially now that it is growing) is holding me back.

Where I live we do not really get shitty weather IMO. It gets really hot in the summer and not that cold in the winter. Every now and then we get a little snow 

2 hours ago, Meazza said:

Any of you have considered living outside of America?

I've looked at Spain, Portugal, the Azores, and islands off Honduras.  All of them are easily doable but there are some downsides. 

Nouseforaname
38 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I've looked at Spain, Portugal, the Azores, and islands off Honduras.  All of them are easily doable but there are some downsides. 

I’ve never been to the azores but it is in my to-do.  I’m guessing it’s similar to sardegna?

Barcelona is probably where I’d choose to live.  Spanish seems easier to pick up than Portuguese.

1 hour ago, Billsandhorns said:

Where I live we do not really get shitty weather IMO. It gets really hot in the summer and not that cold in the winter. Every now and then we get a little snow 

I take it that you're in the Austin metro area?

4 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I have not really been outside of the country. I live in a border town and have crossed over into Mexico but never beyond that. Where would a good place to live be?

Depends on your taste.

If you like the classic European thing, Germany or Italy would be considerations.

If the European thing is ore oriented towards the Mediterranean, southern Spain or Portugal.

If budget is an important consideration, Colombia and Uruguay should be looked at.

If the desire is to be in a large group of ex-*Patriots, Panama and Cosa Rica are huge ex-pat destinations.

For me, land ownership issues, law and order, taxes, health care, corruption and crime are major considerations.

I wouldn't consider Mexico, but many would.

I would choose Uruguay, Colombia or Spain year round, or Germany/Italy if just for a few seasons/year.

I have friends who have chose the Colombia and Uruguay options, but if classic European is a desire, that's not it.

2 hours ago, Meazza said:

I’ve never been to the azores but it is in my to-do.  I’m guessing it’s similar to sardegna?

Barcelona is probably where I’d choose to live.  Spanish seems easier to pick up than Portuguese.

Pretty much everyone speaks English.  Similar to Sardinia, especially climate-wise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meazza said:

have not really considered it. Maybe when I retire but not quite at that point for another 20 years or so. 

In the meantime, Virginia and Tennessee are intriguing, esp Tennessee. Love the weather, taxes, liberty, politics, and in many locations the proximity to both space and city. 

43 minutes ago, Dubs part Dub said:

have not really considered it. Maybe when I retire but not quite at that point for another 20 years or so. 

In the meantime, Virginia and Tennessee are intriguing, esp Tennessee. Love the weather, taxes, liberty, politics, and in many locations the proximity to both space and city. 

Have you looked into the Sicilian offers of apartments for EU1?

Nouseforaname
5 hours ago, GG1 said:

Have you looked into the Sicilian offers of apartments for EU1?

1€ for an apartment.  I wonder how much will have to be paid to the local mafia chieftain once you’re up and running.  

On 11/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, Sherpa said:

i looked at this years ago, since I could live where I wanted, with a few restrictions.

I've always thought Virginia was the perfect place. Mountains on one side, ocean on the other.

Four seasons, with the two best, spring and autumn, being relatively lengthy.

Reasonable state gov., and wanted to live in a university town.

We settled in Charlottesville, and have never regretted it.

great place, i think for a college town you could not get any better! Close to Snowshoe for skiing in winter, beach or Smith Mountain Lake in summer, as you say spring and and fall absolutely fantastic. As for the politics, be interesting to see if NOVA pushes the next agenda next 10-20 years. 

I am very liberal socially, but prize individual liberties and freedoms. We have much more of that here in VA than MD...but might be that may change in the next few years if NOVA keeps growing faster than the rest of the state.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, Dubs part Dub said:

like the sound of that. Thanks. 

Whats your take on Richmond?

i have been in Richmond, Henrico county to be specific,  for the last 18 years..up until 2 weeks ago in whats called the West End. i will preface what i am going to say by stating that i am a city snob, think today a suburb is a suburb is a suburb, no matter where you live. All the same. But whats nice about Richmond is no traffic ever, i was 10 minutes into the best parts of the city, schools were great...really nothing to complain about except the summer weather.

Having said that, 10 minutes west of where i was , very rural if you like that setting. So into the city in 20-30 minutes while not seeing a neighbor at affordable land prices.

We just moved into the Fan district in the city..love it so far. But as in any urban area, dominated by the far left politically, you know that going in...worth it to me for the lifestyle perks.

and to @Ann, DC suburbs would be a hard no for me as well. I love the District, have a place there...but no burbs for me there, that would be pure hell in my mind. This freaking pandemic and the DC response has rendered that place useless for now( been there 2 times since March), but will look forward to spending lots of time there again hopefully by July 4th. 

BTW, one time in DC was early April..wife and i were driving to New Rochelle NY..yes, the epicenter of the CoCo...to buy a car as we saved $4K over what the Richmond dealer was offering on same car. CoCo or no CoCo, $4k for a 6 hour round trip well worth it! But no way could we tell the other owners in our building where we were going...would have burned our unit down!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i have been in Richmond, Henrico county to be specific,  for the last 18 years..

Ever eat at "Stella's," a Greek restaurant there?

We usually get there twice per year.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:53 AM, Meazza said:

I have.

But if pressed for somewhere in the US, I would say the Georgia coast.

Hot summers, yes but really nice winters.

• Like 1