Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

I think teams need the ability to red flag (once per half) missed calls and or bad calls. It would help lead to more an overall consistency on how a rule is being enforced throughout the league from one Officiating crew to the next IMO. Allowing DB's and WR's more or less room to work always seems to be at question between officiating crews. One governing body would help IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NCBillsFan said:

Infuriating.  That flag was bullshit before it hit the ground.

And where are all idiots who blamed Ford for that loss?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

They're probably with all the idiots who spent the next year explaining how the problem with Josh Allen is he is unable to win a playoff game.

Chandemonium
11 hours ago, NCBillsFan said:

At the time they not only called it, they also fined Ford for the play. Since they’re now admitting it was a horseshit call they better be sending Cody a check. 

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I won't give you the URL, but it rhymes with sodium ball. 

I distinctly remember an idiot vociferously arguing that Ford was facing parallel to the line of scrimmage, despite being shown a clear picture of Ford facing forward.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:48 PM, KD in CA said:

Infuriating.  That flag was bullshit before it hit the ground.

They’re over ATOP

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Rule change to expand role of replay official expected to pass for 2021 season, per report

The NFL is expected to tweak its booth-to-ref communication

The "Sky Judge" may not be making its way into the NFL in 2021, but the league may be taking strides in that direction. According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, the Baltimore Ravens have withdrawn their proposal to add an eighth official to oversee the game on video in a booth. However, Pelissero notes that the competition committee's proposal for expanded booth-to-ref communication with video is gaining strong support and is likely to pass when owners vote on it next week.

As it relates to this expansion proposal, the replay official and designated members of the officiating department may consult with on-field officials to help "advise the game officials on specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present" outside of a replay-review scenario. This includes penalty enforcement, the proper down, spot of a foul, game clock, possession completed or intercepted pass, and so on. However, it is important to note that the replay official cannot throw or pick up a flag under this proposal.

</snip>

I watched the LA Chargers LV Raiders game from week 15, I think it was, last year on The NFL Network last night. I saw something I have never seen in all my years of watching football, the refs enforced two fouls on the same play, by the same player, inside of the play. 

I don't remember the names but the CB guarding the WR grabbed his facemask. The ref dropped his flag and his hat. I initially thought possibly the player stepped out of bounds but then thought maybe there was second foul. They enforced the pass interference as a spot foul then added 15 for the facemask.

The refs explanation didn't help much, but the talking heads then went on to explain that this was the only scenario where this type of thing could happen. I wanted to know from the ref if it was the same move flagged twice or if there were two separate instances there by the offending player because I think it makes a difference.

I don't buy the talking heads implication that the same move was flagged twice, that just wouldn't make sense to me as being fair. If it was the same maneuver, it should have only received one flag, disirregardless of whatever was penalized. Two different moves that were called penalties, would make a bunch more sense, though I'm still not sure I agree with being able to assess both inside of play. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Patrick Mahomes calls for microchips in footballs to improve officiating

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes wants the NFL to go high tech to improve officiating.

The NFL has a microchip in every football as part of its data tracking, and bits of that data are sometimes revealed to the public through the league’s Next Gen Stats. But Mahomes says the chip should also be used to alert the officials to when a ball crosses a goal line.

“I’ve always thought the chip in the ball has to happen sometime, where if you cross the line, it just tells you a touchdown,” Mahomes said on the WHOOP podcast, via the Kansas City Star. “The biggest thing to me is when they get in the pile by the end zone, there is literally no way to tell if he’s in the end zone or not. It’s like you said, it’s just whatever they call. … I’m sure it’ll happen soon enough.”

</snip>

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

“I’ve always thought the chip in the ball has to happen sometime, where if you cross the line, it just tells you a touchdown,” Mahomes said on the WHOOP podcast, via the Kansas City Star. “The biggest thing to me is when they get in the pile by the end zone, there is literally no way to tell if he’s in the end zone or not. It’s like you said, it’s just whatever they call. … I’m sure it’ll happen soon enough.”

I don't see how that would help in cases where the question is whether or not a knee was down before the ball crossed the goal line. In fact, it might wind up erring more on the side of allowing the score.

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Patrick Mahomes calls for microchips in footballs to improve officiating

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes wants the NFL to go high tech to improve officiating.

The NFL has a microchip in every football as part of its data tracking, and bits of that data are sometimes revealed to the public through the league’s Next Gen Stats. But Mahomes says the chip should also be used to alert the officials to when a ball crosses a goal line.

</snip>

Considering that any portion of the ball touching the goal line is ruled a TD, there would have to be multiple chips used in numerous places on the interior of the ball. The minimum starting point would seem to be at both ends and all around the middle. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Considering that any portion of the ball touching the goal line is ruled a TD, there would have to be multiple chips used in numerous places on the interior of the ball. The minimum starting point would seem to be at both ends and all around the middle. 

No reason not to have sensors along each seam.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:51 AM, Foxx said:

I watched the LA Chargers LV Raiders game from week 15, I think it was, last year on The NFL Network last night. I saw something I have never seen in all my years of watching football, the refs enforced two fouls on the same play, by the same player, inside of the play. 

I don't remember the names but the CB guarding the WR grabbed his facemask. The ref dropped his flag and his hat. I initially thought possibly the player stepped out of bounds but then thought maybe there was second foul. They enforced the pass interference as a spot foul then added 15 for the facemask.

The refs explanation didn't help much, but the talking heads then went on to explain that this was the only scenario where this type of thing could happen. I wanted to know from the ref if it was the same move flagged twice or if there were two separate instances there by the offending player because I think it makes a difference.

I don't buy the talking heads implication that the same move was flagged twice, that just wouldn't make sense to me as being fair. If it was the same maneuver, it should have only received one flag, disirregardless of whatever was penalized. Two different moves that were called penalties, would make a bunch more sense, though I'm still not sure I agree with being able to assess both inside of play. 

the ref must have had serious money on the game and time was running out to effect the outcome

• 3 weeks later...

Report: NFL has no new referees this season, hires only one new official

The NFL retained most of its officials for 2021, losing only the six who retired after the 2020 season.

The league, though, is hiring only one new official and has no new referees for this season, Football Zebras reports. Officials hired during the second wave of the 2020 offseason are begin retained as permanent officials.

It marks the first time in four seasons without a referee promotion, according to Football Zebras, with seven total referee promotions the three previous seasons. The hiring of only one new official is the fewest since 2013 when the league also saw only one rookie official.

The league will have another woman on its officiating crews for this season with the hiring of line judge Maia Chaka. And the three centralized replay assistants from 2020 — Desiree Abrams, Artenzia Young-Seigler and Sebrina Brunson — are on crews for 2021.

</snip>

• 1 month later...