Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Extremely weird.  15 yard gain on 1st and 10, becomes a 1st and 5 because of a loss of 10 yards?  That's less a penalty than it is a free play.   

And that was a 15-yard run with a 10-yard spot penalty at the end, resulting in a five yard gain and repeat of the down.  What if it were a 21-yard run with that penalty?  An 11-yard run...repeat the down?  First and -1 yards to go?  (I know, it becomes 1st and 10, since it's still more than a 10 yard gain...but it's still a bizarre rule.)

Right. I hypothesized much the same somewhere here yesterday.

What if the penalty had occurred at the 2 yard line and was assessed from the spot of the foul being there? Would they then award the offending team an additional 3 yards from where the run ended?

I don't know the exact wording of how the spot fouls are worded but it could be there is a quirk in the rule.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Right. I hypothesized much the same somewhere here yesterday.

What if the penalty had occurred at the 2 yard line and was assessed from the spot of the foul being there? Would they then award the offending team an additional 3 yards from where the run ended?

I don't know the exact wording of how the spot fouls are worded but it could be there is a quirk in the rule.

I suppose you could, as an offense, have someone hold at the spot of the tackle on every first down play more than ten yards, and consistently manufacture free plays for yourself.  Doesn't seem like the best way to advance down the field...but maybe great way to burn down the clock.  Makes me wonder why Belichick hasn't done it already, in fact.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I suppose you could, as an offense, have someone hold at the spot of the tackle on every first down play more than ten yards, and consistently manufacture free plays for yourself.  Doesn't seem like the best way to advance down the field...but maybe great way to burn down the clock.  Makes me wonder why Belichick hasn't done it already, in fact.

His spys are probably reading this board as we talk. Look for the roll-out Sunday against the 'boys.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One set of rules for Tampa, another for everyone else.  I watched ONE play last night.  It was the first pass of Philly's final drive of the 2nd quarter.  Ball was incorrectly called a completion but the receiver was absolutely molested before the ball got there.  NO FLAG. >Click<...back to hockey.

NFL officiating is an absolute joke.  I guess it always will be because there's apparently no interest in improving it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

One set of rules for Tampa, another for everyone else.  I watched ONE play last night.  It was the first pass of Philly's final drive of the 2nd quarter.  Ball was incorrectly called a completion but the receiver was absolutely molested before the ball got there.  NO FLAG. >Click<...back to hockey.

NFL officiating is an absolute joke.  I guess it always will be because there's apparently no interest in improving it.

They completely made the calls for TB last night. Look at the taunting penalty Ann posted. There was also an endzone PI that even Troy Aikman said was as obvious a PI as you could possibly see against TB, and it was completely ignored.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/myles-garrett-says-refs-need-new-glasses-after-missed-holding-calls/

Garrett said after the Browns’ win over the Broncos that he was held repeatedly and the officials failed to call the penalties. Garrett compared the situation to how hard it used to be for Shaquille O’Neal to get fouls in the NBA.

48 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/myles-garrett-says-refs-need-new-glasses-after-missed-holding-calls/

Garrett said after the Browns’ win over the Broncos that he was held repeatedly and the officials failed to call the penalties. Garrett compared the situation to how hard it is for Jerry Hughes to get a holding call. used to be for Shaquille O’Neal to get fouls in the NBA.

Hughes Garrett.jpg

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 5

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Ann said:

There's nothing he can do about it.  The rule doesn't make a distinction between intentional and incidental contact, so that call was completely correct.  

Only thing a player can do is take the penalty, and hope the league doesn't fine him (which, in this case, would be total bullshit.)

On 10/18/2021 at 6:01 AM, B-Man said:

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

I see your Rocky Balboa and raise you a Jay Sherman!

The Critic (TV Series 1994-1995) - IMDb

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Penalties that require players to defy the laws of science are super smart.  Good jerb, NFL.

Armless tackles.

Kurt Schulz didn't suck, he was just ahead of his time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Armless tackles.

Kurt Schulz didn't suck, he was just ahead of his time.

It STILL would have been a penalty because his initial POC woulda been to the head (even if it was "boob/gut to head" contact).  Like, you can't reasonably argue how &#%$ing stupid this rule truly is.