Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Cap Decrease + Possible Consequences [Cap is set at $182.5M]

Ann

9 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

The NBA came to their senses (remains to be seen if they can restrain themselves) and the NFL needs to understand people want entertainment, not lectures about how we are evil people.

Very wealthy and entitled professional athletes/celebrities who want change can affect it very easily by giving away some of their insane wealth and time.  They can't do it by painting the average person with the broad racism brush because the hypocrisy is so off the charts they're the only ones who don't see it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ann said:

In addition to Bills related articles, the front page now has the schedule, roster, and the Bills salary cap numbers (years 2020- 2025) which could help with this discussion! (drop down to the left, select year) Just look at the red navigation bar.

Thanks, @Foxx!

i think the 'Roster' needs to be updated, as there have been several moves since i began creating the page. will rectify any discrepancies within the next few days.

😉

• Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

6 hours ago, Ann said:

In addition to Bills related articles, the front page now has the schedule, roster, and the Bills salary cap numbers (years 2020- 2025) which could help with this discussion! (drop down to the left, select year) Just look at the red navigation bar.

Thanks, @Foxx!

Thanks for the continuous improvement.  The changes are positive for the user experience.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
You Dirty Rat

Word on the street (main at Chippawa) some drunk told me, Trent Murphy, Star Louttuli, Josh Gordon, Matt Barkley, TJ Yeldon, Lee Smith, Andre Roberts, EJ Gaines  WILL NOT BE COMING BACK

• Wow 1

Alaska Darin
12 minutes ago, Norm said:

Word on the street (main at Chippawa) some drunk told me, Trent Murphy, Star Louttuli, Josh Gordon, Matt Barkley, TJ Yeldon, Lee Smith, Andre Roberts, EJ Gaines  WILL NOT BE COMING BACK

No real surprises there.  Well, except Josh Gordon. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Norm said:

Star's dead cap hit is $7.75M (his 2022 hit is worse!)
Lee Smith's dead cap hit is $3.7M.
EJ Gaines dead cap hit is $935K.

2021 Bills Salary Cap
Star and Gaines  opted out of 2020, so what happened to opt-out money.

• 3 weeks later...

Beane talking (at his season ending presser) about the cap was expected to go to $210M at the beginning of the year, but as the year went on they have heard $175M.  The league should be having meeting the next few weeks to tell them the exact number. He said there will be some tough decisions.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting article from a GB Packers beat writer. There is some thought that the salary cap may not go down, or not go down as much, as some expect.

NFL Salary Cap Might Not Crash After All
With 14 teams, including the Green Bay Packers, over the COVID-impacted salary cap, there is a belief that a “capocalypse” can be avoided.

</snip>

Multiple agents told Packer Central that they expect the owners and players union to agree to borrow against future caps to “smooth over” the difference between the potential for a dramatically decreased cap in 2021 and dramatically increased caps in the future.

</snip>

This year, the league added two playoff teams, meaning two extra playoff games. Next year, the league schedule is expected to go from 16 games to 17 games. The Monday Night Football contract with ESPN expires after the 2021 season and contracts with CBS (for the AFC), Fox (for the NFC) and NBC (Sunday night) will expire after the 2022 season. Because the NFL is a ratings juggernaut, rights fees are expected to soar. According to Forbes, for instance, Fox’s $1.2 billion deal could almost double to $2 billion annually.

With boatloads of new money to become available, agents are cautiously optimistic there won’t be mass casualties with the average team being just $1.44 million beneath the $176 million projection.

</snip>

All three agents said teams are using the potential for a dramatically decreased cap as a scare tactic to get their upcoming free agents to sign for less money than they might otherwise. One of those agents has told teams he would not negotiate on behalf of any of his players until the cap is officially set.

Officially, the NFL and NFLPA haven’t negotiated but the belief is talks have taken place behind the scenes. Usually, the cap teams will be working with is announced just before the start of the league-year in early
March.

• Like 1

I doubt the Bills can afford to keep him:

Link to article

<snip>

In the latest Stacking the Box column, FanSided’s national NFL reporter Matt Verderame has heard from a source that linebacker Matt Milano is looking for “top dollar” in free agency.

“Per source, Milano is looking for top-dollar at his position,”  writes Verderame. “Although he’s without Pro Bowl or All-Pro accolades, Milano has been a playmaker and culture-maker. The fourth-year man has racked up 101 tackles in 2019 and then 3.5 sacks and win hits in 2020, while providing quality coverage. He’ll have a strong market.”

</snip>

The league should allow each team to designate a franchise player and that player’s contract is outside the salary cap. The franchise player designation could have a cap of its own, but having a super star on your team shouldn’t mean you can’t have enough money to build a decent roster. 

• Like 2

I have a question that I'm sure has been answered elsewhere; but why can't the NFL do a luxury tax if over the cap, and then the team can spend whatever they want, provided they "pay" for it?

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I have a question that I'm sure has been answered elsewhere; but why can't the NFL do a luxury tax if over the cap, and then the team can spend whatever they want, provided they "pay" for it?

Then you run into the same problem the other leagues have, with the teams in rich markets being the 'haves', with the Buffalos and Green Bays being the 'have nots'.

• Like 3

I'd like to see this year without a cap, while knowing what the 2022 cap will be (new TV contract). I think a lot of teams could work with that.