Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Failed to Stop at Stop Sign

LB3

leh-nerd skin-erd
49 minutes ago, LB3 said:

@leh-nerd skin-erd I missed you mentioning it yesterday but my ticket is in Oswego.

Crap-you’re doing hard time, Prison B****!  

My daughter went to Oswego and received a ticket on campus.  I told her all about the plea deal (not knowing the call in method that every other traffic felon is apparently dialed in to), specifically telling her to ask for “Parking!”, telling her to avoid “traffic device!” if possible. 

She  appeared, they offered a plea from speeding to disobeyed traffic device.  She accepted, likely because she was nervous as hell -and remembering something about traffic devices.

I told her that she did well—- instead of copping to driving recklessly at a high rate of speed, she really just admitted she drove recklessly not giving a sh*t about things like stop signs and traffic lights.  She told me I was crazy, and that I wasn’t clear.  “You’re crazy!” was frequent critique of me from when she was roughly 13 to 21. 

Good luck!  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

lol no. 

TVB is an entirely different animal. No plea bargaining allowed. Best bet in TVB is what snafu suggested - delay delay delay. Still want to plead not guilty but TVB rarely, if ever, dismisses a ticket for cause. It’s almost always a technicality and you’ll need an attorney to figure that out. Otherwise just keep kicking the can down the road until the points aren’t even an issue anymore. 

It definitely is a racket.  My appearance is 2 yrs after the infraction.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GG1 said:

It definitely is a racket.  My appearance is 2 yrs after the infraction.

The racket becomes more intense when the State needs money to close a budget gap.

• Like 2

Failure to stop is usually one of those bogus reasons cops pull someone over to smell for weed/alcohol, run your plates, check for warrants, look for suspects driving similar vehicles.  When they don't find what they're looking for, they let you go with a "warning".

If the cop took the time to actually write the citation, you probably did fail to stop and shouldn't contest it

21 minutes ago, devnull said:

Failure to stop is usually one of those bogus reasons cops pull someone over to smell for weed/alcohol, run your plates, check for warrants, look for suspects driving similar vehicles.  When they don't find what they're looking for, they let you go with a "warning".

If the cop took the time to actually write the citation, you probably did fail to stop and shouldn't contest it

This is bad advice - cop who chucks the weed he finds on car searches into the woods because a UPM ticket is more hassle than it’s worth. 

15 hours ago, LB3 said:

Did you mail in the not guilty plea (my ticket says to mail within 2 days) when you sent the email? Or did you just plan on attending court on the date provided if you didn't get a response in time?

With Covid you might be able to get this handled without an appearance.   I'd call and ask what your options are if you plead not guilty. 

• Cheers 1

Not sure if this works in NY, but in CA if you show up in court to fight the ticket and the cop who wrote the ticket isn't present, they throw out the ticket.

It's a last-resort type thing, but worth the effort. I got pulled for an illegal U-turn years ago and showed up in court, but the cop who wrote the ticket was there as well. The coversation went a lot like:

Judge: You're charged with an illegal U-turn. What do you have to say?

Me: Your honor, I'm just here in hopes the office didn't show up. But I see he's here, so that didn't work out.

Judge: How do you plead?

Me: Guilty.

Judge: Good idea. But hey, nice try.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:37 AM, LB3 said:

Did you mail in the not guilty plea (my ticket says to mail within 2 days) when you sent the email? Or did you just plan on attending court on the date provided if you didn't get a response in time?

I don't recall, it was several years ago. I wasn't planning on going to court, since the court date was so far out from when I made my initial email. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, LB3 said:

Got a ticket tonight for failing to stop at a stop sign. Didn't see the sign till I was passing by it.

Is it worth it to plead not guilty? I definitely ran it so I'm not sure. He told me that he was sorry that he had to do it because it was right in front of him.

Last two tickets i have received , i went to court, cop was there..when asked for plea ..i said no contest , but that i did not agree with the ticket. Both judges asked why, and i told them why. In your case you could just say the sign is on a really dark corner and  very difficult to see at night. 

Both the judges moved the tickets down to non moving violations. The no contest plea gets ya the best of both worlds i think. Admitting they have enough evidence, but getting to tell your side without the judge thinking you a D Bag.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Last two tickets i have received , i went to court, cop was there..when asked for plea ..i said no contest , but that i did not agree with the ticket. Both judges asked why, and i told them why. In your case you could just say the sign is on a really dark corner and  very difficult to see at night. 

Both the judges moved the tickets down to non moving violations. The no contest plea gets ya the best of both worlds i think. Admitting they have enough evidence, but getting to tell your side without the judge thinking you a D Bag.

FYI @LB3 you cannot plead no contest to a moving violation in NYS. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

the OP can simply confirm by looking at the plea section of his UTT. 

@LB3, Levi is just trying to protect his brethren here. Don’t trust him just cause he is a LEO in NYS, I know the NYS state code way better than him!😂

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha 3

On 12/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, LB3 said:

Got a ticket tonight for failing to stop at a stop sign. Didn't see the sign till I was passing by it.

Is it worth it to plead not guilty? I definitely ran it so I'm not sure. He told me that he was sorry that he had to do it because it was right in front of him.

You think YOU got it bad...

This kid has a future!

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-kids-runaways-range-rover-queens-20201207-7dxoeo5pufdijkfvt7sl5o5pna-story.html

12 year old drives his 7 year old sister from Queens to Delaware.  Gets caught trying to buy snacks with a stolen credit card.  Ain't no writing that down to a parking ticket.

And I'm sure his parents are likely being questioned by Child Protective Services.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Hitbyaparkedcar
On 12/7/2020 at 4:07 PM, snafu said:

You think YOU got it bad...

This kid has a future!

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-kids-runaways-range-rover-queens-20201207-7dxoeo5pufdijkfvt7sl5o5pna-story.html

12 year old drives his 7 year old sister from Queens to Delaware.  Gets caught trying to buy snacks with a stolen credit card.  Ain't no writing that down to a parking ticket.

And I'm sure his parents are likely being questioned by Child Protective Services.

Now that's initiative and leadership! To the bold...😄

Update

I went to traffic court yesterday. My appearance time was 9:30am so I got there at 9am. I get out of the elevator and most of the lights are off and the place is empty save for one officer. He looked confused and asked me what I was doing there. I told him that I just wanted to get there early. He informed me that they were doing almost all of it virtually now which was news to me. He asked me for my name and he looked at the day's schedule and told me I wasn't even on the list. He took my ticket and confirmed I was there on the right date. More confusion.

At that point, he gave me the number for the clerk's office. I left and called the clerk's office. Evidently, they're so busy I had to talk to someone so they could email the clerk. She was confused because I was not on any list she had either. She told me she would email the clerk and that I should expect a letter in the mail. I asked her if I should call back in a week if I haven't received it yet. She told me that it could take weeks or months because they're so busy. She told me not to worry about my license being suspended.

The whole situation is weird with them not having any information on me so I emailed the court so that I had a record of trying to appear on the date required. I did it to be cautious but am wondering if I shouldn't have. In passing, the officer did say he wondered if they just adjourned it. The officer who gave me the ticket genuinely seemed reluctant when he gave it to me. Maybe I should have just left it alone.🤷‍♂️

Edited by LB3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LB3 said:

The whole situation is weird with them not having any information on me so I emailed the court so that I had a record of trying to appear on the date required. I did it to be cautious but am wondering if I shouldn't have. In passing, the officer did say he wondered if they just adjourned it. The officer who gave me the ticket genuinely seemed reluctant when he gave it to me. Maybe I should have just left it alone.🤷‍♂️

damned do dont.jpg

• Haha 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
6 hours ago, LB3 said:

Update

I went to traffic court yesterday. My appearance time was 9:30am so I got there at 9am. I get out of the elevator and most of the lights are off and the place is empty save for one officer. He looked confused and asked me what I was doing there. I told him that I just wanted to get there early. He informed me that they were doing almost all of it virtually now which was news to me. He asked me for my name and he looked at the day's schedule and told me I wasn't even on the list. He took my ticket and confirmed I was there on the right date. More confusion.

At that point, he gave me the number for the clerk's office. I left and called the clerk's office. Evidently, they're so busy I had to talk to someone so they could email the clerk. She was confused because I was not on any list she had either. She told me she would email the clerk and that I should expect a letter in the mail. I asked her if I should call back in a week if I haven't received it yet. She told me that it could take weeks or months because they're so busy. She told me not to worry about my license being suspended.

Call back, tell them if you don't get answers to all your questions today, there's a sh8t storm coming their way and you're King ****ing Neptune.  

Raise your voice, pronounce 'today' as "TA-day", and don't worry about why you're King ****ing Neptune in this scenario.  I'm not even sure why anymore, but I hear it works.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Call back, tell them if you don't get answers to all your questions today, there's a sh8t storm coming their way and you're King ****ing Neptune.  

Raise your voice, pronounce 'today' as "TA-day", and don't worry about why you're King ****ing Neptune in this scenario.  I'm not even sure why anymore, but I hear it works.  

I heartily endorse this solution, with one change. When you make the call, make sure you inform them that King &#%$ing Neptune doesn't wear pants when he's bringing the pain.

• Haha 1