Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

How do you like your bacon 🥓?

mead107

49 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Slightly crisp and chewy.

Yes, although it is bacon so anything other than burnt is a win.

Hubby makes it nearly every Sunday for us in  the oven. Mmmm bacon (yes, we had bacon this morning).  🥓

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Generally the chewier the better. The exception being on a sandwich it has to be crisp enough to break through easily in one bite so you don’t end up pulling it out from between the bread. 

• Like 3

If you are ever in Seagrove, NC stop by Key Packing. Best bacon I've ever picked up. 

Disirregardless, when you cook even in the oven you must raise the temperature to above 70° to allow the fat and meat to be cooked. If it is too good when you fry it, microwave it or any method the meat will cook before the fat and leave it dry, without flavor, and most importantly will not allow the fat to melt in to the meat.

I generally leave a pack on the counter in sunlight for a good 30 min to hour to warm it up, some times even placing the package in hot water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB3 said:

Slightly crisp and chewy.

Yup.  Like all pork it needs to be cooked slowly.  Nothing worse than bacon cooked too fast that leaves the fatty ends completely uncooked and thus uneatable.

p.s.   I'm posting this sitting at the kitchen island tending to my bacon slowly cooking.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

I usually bake it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper @350 for about 20-25 minutes, turning it over after about 15 min. I’ll crank it up to 375 if I’m in a hurry. 

Parchment paper is the bomb. It’s wider than the cookie sheet, so I fold up all four edges and when I’m done, the paper gets tossed and if I’ve done it right, the cookie sheet is completely clean. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Boyst said:

If you are ever in Seagrove, NC stop by Key Packing. Best bacon I've ever picked up. 

Disirregardless, when you cook even in the oven you must raise the temperature to above 70° to allow the fat and meat to be cooked. If it is too good when you fry it, microwave it or any method the meat will cook before the fat and leave it dry, without flavor, and most importantly will not allow the fat to melt in to the meat.

I generally leave a pack on the counter in sunlight for a good 30 min to hour to warm it up, some times even placing the package in hot water.

Benton's bacon from TN south of Knoxville is excellent.  Always stock up when passing through. 

• Like 1