Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Unsatisifed at 8-3

Virgil

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Talk to any Bills fan from the past 20 years and they will rattle off a list of all their disappointing memories of Buffalo's seasons of futility.  They can reference the multiple 5-2 starts were followed by horrific losing streaks.  They can tell you about seasons where, had we been in any other division besides the AFC East with the **Patriots, that we would have been division winners.  Some call it BBFS, from which I've been know to be infected with, but I'm starting to think of it as a losing fan culture. 

When a team rebuilds from the ground up, coach to roster, you'll often hear the coach talking about having to teach players how to not only win, but expect to win.  Fitzpatrick is a prime example of a guy you love, but you know will find a way to lose you just enough games in the last moment to keep you out of the playoffs.  He shows you just enough flashes to give you hope, and then throws enough game ending interceptions to where you understand that it's just a flash in the pan. 

As of today, the Bills are 8-3 in consecutive seasons for the first time since the Superbowl years, and yet fans still aren't quite happy.  Many focus on the Dolphins only being a game back.  Some fans talk about how the defense isn't what it was last season and will cost us the big games down the road.  There are some who still question Josh Allen as having figured it all out and if he's going to ever get to that next level.  And to all of those fans I would say:  "It's time for you to personally rebuild and learn how to win."

Part of the Bills fan skewed perception comes from watching the **Patriots go to Super Bowl 9 times and won 6 of them.  Let's be very clear and recognize how insane that is.  The Marsha has been to more Super Bowls than any other team has combined in their entire franchise history and we got a front row seat.  For the fans who've set the bar there, you need to take step back.  The other part of what skews Bills fans perception is watching other teams play against our badly coached and fielded teams.  We've made incomplete teams look like all-Madden squads over the years.  We've lost games we should have won on paper and made were always the team on the other side of the highlight reel.  It's been hard for the fans, but I'm here to tell you that it's time to forgive those teams and forgive yourself.

No team has it all together.  This season has proven that more than anything.  Even the great Ravens offense has come down to earth as, like the league always does, defenses have adjusted.  The Chiefs, while they only have one loss, aren't the record breaking offense they were over the past two years and have holes.  The reality that all fans need to understand, is that all rosters have gaps, all teams have injuries, and all teams get the ups and downs with ease of schedule.  None of these are indicators of a bad team. 

What should fans be focusing on?  Let's just start with being 8-3 and being first in our division.  Let's focus on the fact that our Quarterback is still in the MVP conversation through 12 weeks and is on pace to shatter many of our passing records.  Let's focus on the fact that had the league's number one receiver through last week.  For those who want to talk about collapses?  Then let's talk about how much our defense has improved over the past 6 weeks, showing we have coaches who are capable of adapting and finding the strengths within our roster.  Being 8-3 two years in a row is not a fluke and not a reflection of a lucky schedule.  If you still need convincing, then just imagine talking to yourself 4 years in the past and telling him or her that the Bills are about to have their franchise QB of the next 15 years, they'll make the playoffs in 3 of the next 4 years, and they are financially setup to both build and maintain that roster.  How do you think the conversation will go? 

I'll wait for younger you to stop crying and hugging you for a response.

You are great with your ✍️ ups 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I’m completely happy with where the team is at 8-3. It has been a bumpy road to get here. Could have lost the *Patriots game and won the Cardinals game.  Our defense looked like pudding early on, but seems to be getting it together.  The kid kicker ... I don’t want to say it for to jinx him.

The reason I say “completely” happy is because the Bills have the division in their hands.  All they really need to do is beat NE and Miami.

For the people who aren’t satisfied, look at a team like Chicago.  I think they started out 5-0 and flamed out.  Ever seen that before?  How about Jacksonville.  They won their opener against Indy, lost their next 10 games, and now they’re behind the Jets for the first pick. Ever seen that before?  The *Patriots lost their QB and are still “good” but we know where they’re headed.  I bet they’ve got fans complaining about “meaningless” wins and calling for more losing to get better draft picks.  Ever had that conversation? Good times!  The Jets can’t find a coaching staff that will develop their QB.  FFS, I love where we are at 8-3.

Go Bills!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Talk to any Bills fan from the past 20 years and they will rattle off a list of all their disappointing memories of Buffalo's seasons of futility.  They can reference the multiple 5-2 starts were followed by horrific losing streaks.  They can tell you about seasons where, had we been in any other division besides the AFC East with the *Patriots, that we would have been division winners.  Some call it BBFS, from which I've been know to be infected with, but I'm starting to think of it as a losing fan culture. 

When a team rebuilds from the ground up, coach to roster, you'll often hear the coach talking about having to teach players how to not only win, but expect to win.  Fitzpatrick is a prime example of a guy you love, but you know will find a way to lose you just enough games in the last moment to keep you out of the playoffs.  He shows you just enough flashes to give you hope, and then throws enough game ending interceptions to where you understand that it's just a flash in the pan. 

As of today, the Bills are 8-3 in consecutive seasons for the first time since the Superbowl years, and yet fans still aren't quite happy.  Many focus on the Dolphins only being a game back.  Some fans talk about how the defense isn't what it was last season and will cost us the big games down the road.  There are some who still question Josh Allen as having figured it all out and if he's going to ever get to that next level.  And to all of those fans I would say:  "It's time for you to personally rebuild and learn how to win."

Part of the Bills fan skewed perception comes from watching the *Patriots go to Super Bowl 9 times and won 6 of them.  Let's be very clear and recognize how insane that is.  The Marsha has been to more Super Bowls than any other team has combined in their entire franchise history and we got a front row seat.  For the fans who've set the bar there, you need to take step back.  The other part of what skews Bills fans perception is watching other teams play against our badly coached and fielded teams.  We've made incomplete teams look like all-Madden squads over the years.  We've lost games we should have won on paper and made were always the team on the other side of the highlight reel.  It's been hard for the fans, but I'm here to tell you that it's time to forgive those teams and forgive yourself.

No team has it all together.  This season has proven that more than anything.  Even the great Ravens offense has come down to earth as, like the league always does, defenses have adjusted.  The Chiefs, while they only have one loss, aren't the record breaking offense they were over the past two years and have holes.  The reality that all fans need to understand, is that all rosters have gaps, all teams have injuries, and all teams get the ups and downs with ease of schedule.  None of these are indicators of a bad team. 

What should fans be focusing on?  Let's just start with being 8-3 and being first in our division.  Let's focus on the fact that our Quarterback is still in the MVP conversation through 12 weeks and is on pace to shatter many of our passing records.  Let's focus on the fact that had the league's number one receiver through last week.  For those who want to talk about collapses?  Then let's talk about how much our defense has improved over the past 6 weeks, showing we have coaches who are capable of adapting and finding the strengths within our roster.  Being 8-3 two years in a row is not a fluke and not a reflection of a lucky schedule.  If you still need convincing, then just imagine talking to yourself 4 years in the past and telling him or her that the Bills are about to have their franchise QB of the next 15 years, they'll make the playoffs in 3 of the next 4 years, and they are financially setup to both build and maintain that roster.  How do you think the conversation will go? 

During the Super Bowl years I recall Frank Reich saying (paraphrasing) that his kids simply expected that the team was going to the playoffs and on to the Super Bowl.  I want that again!

A lot of the fan reaction is good old-fashioned BPTSD. You expect the Bills to somehow screw it up. The Arizona last second Hail Mary is what we expect to happen with/to the Bills.

Is there a lot of good on this team? Hell yeah! The offense is fun! You expect this team to find a way to win. Now, that might conflict with the BPTSD we experience, but like the team, the fans are just learning to win again. We may expect them to be able to pull out  that win, but can't help having flashbacks to 2000-2016. It is simply human nature.

• Like 3

One of the things that exacerbates this feeling among Bills fans is the universal desire to lift something or someone so high they have to look down to see heaven (yes, I just quoted "Footloose"), just so we can cheer them as they fall to the ground quickly and violently.

There's a reason so many people enjoy watching a Marsha-led offense have 38 yards in an entire half of football while throwing two picks.

By the time you factor in the cacophony of opinions from every corner of the earth via the internet, Bills fans can reach a fever pitch waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's great cheering for your quarterback's improvements, but we throw that all away when he fumbles one snap and throws a pick a few plays later. 

Even after all these years of watching the Bills, after a game like the one vs. the Chargers, I have to remind myself where the team actually is from an overall standpoint. We have the management, the coaches, and especially the QB. This team is finally built to compete each week for years to come

But you'll understand if I get a bit cranky after the Fish beat the Bengals and the Bills lose to the 49ers and I spend the week listening to people cheering that Wile E. Coyote whistling sound as he plummets to the earth at OBD. It's conditioned from 20 years of failure and it won't go away after a year or two.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

One of the things that exacerbates this feeling among Bills fans is the universal desire to lift something or someone so high they have to look down to see heaven (yes, I just quoted "Footloose"), just so we can cheer them as they fall to the ground quickly and violently.

There's a reason so many people enjoy watching a Marsha-led offense have 38 yards in an entire half of football while throwing two picks.

By the time you factor in the cacophony of opinions from every corner of the earth via the internet, Bills fans can reach a fever pitch waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's great cheering for your quarterback's improvements, but we throw that all away when he fumbles one snap and throws a pick a few plays later. 

Even after all these years of watching the Bills, after a game like the one vs. the Chargers, I have to remind myself where the team actually is from an overall standpoint. We have the management, the coaches, and especially the QB. This team is finally built to compete each week for years to come

But you'll understand if I get a bit cranky after the Fish beat the Bengals and the Bills lose to the 49ers and I spend the week listening to people cheering that Wile E. Coyote whistling sound as he plummets to the earth at OBD. It's conditioned from 20 years of failure and it won't go away after a year or two.

Yep. Even for the most optimistic, it's a high hurdle to clear.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Talk to any Bills fan from the past 20 years and they will rattle off a list of all their disappointing memories from the Bills seasons of futility.  They can reference the multiple 5-2 starts were followed by horrific losing streaks.  They can tell you about seasons where, had we been in any other division besides the AFC East with the ***Patriots, that we would have been division winners.  Some call it BBFS, from which I've been know to be infected with, but I'm starting to think of it as a losing fan culture. 

Part of the Bills fan skewed perception comes from watching the ***Patriots go to Super Bowl 9 times and won 6 of them.  Let's be very clear and recognize how insane that is.  The Marsha has been to more Super Bowls than any other team has combined in their entire franchise history and we got a front row seat.  For the fans who've set the bar there, you need to take step back.  The other part of what skews Bills fans perception is watching other teams play against our badly coached and fielded teams.  We've made incomplete teams look like all-Madden squads over the years.  We've lost games we should have won on paper and made were always the team on the other side of the highlight reel.  It's been hard for the fans, but I'm here to tell you that it's time to forgive those teams and forgive yourself.

Great write up as always!  Im happy 8-3 yet Im not satisfied! I want it all!!!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Nice writeup Virgil - thanks.

I am OK with 8-3. Would like it to be better but this is very good.  The AZ loss still hurts (need to turn channel when mentioned) and 9-2 would be less stress.

I see a team that continues to progress.  The expectation for 2020 is a home playoff game and a playoff win.  Getting to the AFC championship game would be a strong accomplishment.  In 2021 I expect them to be in the SB conversation.

So folks need to enjoy the ride and stay positive.  If you are upset with the team it says more about you than the Bills.

• Like 4

It's part and parcel for a fanbase that's been starving for a winner.  So while the signs are pointing upward, many (including me) don't think they've fully turned the corner.  They're probably one good D player away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GG1 said:

It's part and parcel for a fanbase that's been starving for a winner.  So while the signs are pointing upward, many (including me) don't think they've fully turned the corner.  They're probably one good D player away.

Lets see how they do next week against the Steelers. But tonight was as complete a performance as they’ve had all season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

Lets see how they do next week against the Steelers. But tonight was as complete a performance as they’ve had all season.

Was thinking of this during the game.  That corner is awfully close.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, snafu said:

I think that if they are able to handle the Squeelers on Sunday, there should be no real doubt that the Bills are legitimately a top-tier team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I think that if they are able to handle the Squeelers on Sunday, there should be no real doubt that the Bills are legitimately a top-tier team.

If you watched the Steelers last two games, it's pretty clear they are struggling. They barely escaped the Covid-hit Lamar-less Ravens, and the dropped passes from that game carried over to last night's game against the WTFs. I'm never one to look at a Bills game with any amount of confidence, but I have more confidence in them beating the Steelers than I did going into last night's game, especially if last nights Josh shows up.

• Like 1