Probiotics

Fansince88

Probiotics help to give you a good stomach and it is said that is the foundation to the body's digestive system. I was taking them and need to get back to them. Anyone have any specific ones they like and why?

Probiotics are digested and diluted before they're able to fully help. Prebiotics are effective, probiotics are not. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-probiotics-really-work/

That's a decent article I skimmed the beginning of which paralleled my opinion

I maintain my gut health with dairy, citric fruit, and greens. I fart like a howitzer.

Edited by Boyst
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Boyst said:

Probiotics are digested and diluted before they're able to fully help. Prebiotics are effective, probiotics are not. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-probiotics-really-work/

That's a decent article I skimmed the beginning of which paralleled my opinion

I maintain my gut health with dairy, citric fruit, and greens. I fart like a howitzer.

I have seen arguments for both. In my older age I find myself developing skin tags more than I did before. Have read articles that they are due to bad flora in the digestive system. If flatulence is any clue of healthy body I should live forever. Also I dont have access to raw milk.

Edited by Fansince88

56 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I have seen arguments for both. In my older age I find myself developing skin tags more than I did before. Have read articles that they are due to bad flora in the digestive system. If flatulence is any clue of healthy body I should live forever. Also I dont have access to raw milk.

Kefir

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

How the  hell does your digestive system affect theezcess growth of skin? Shin tags form where there is irritation of the skin.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, Wacka said:

How the  hell does your digestive system affect theezcess growth of skin? Shin tags form where there is irritation of the skin.

Sorry bud. Just saw this reply. Here is a simple article that explains how our inner issues are exposed on our outer shell. 

https://experiencelife.com/article/what-your-skin-is-trying-to-tell-you/

• Like 1

Ah hah! Now I get it. About three weeks into the 2 week shutdown I went to the grocery store and was shocked to find ZERO flour, yeast, soup broths, paper products, Lysol products, bleach, and apple cider vinegar. Still hard to find ground white  pepper. 

• 2 weeks later...
ComradeKayAdams

Homemade fermented vegetables are my probiotics. Sauerkraut and kimchi are two of the most popular types that I will make from scratch, though I often experiment with just about any vegetable or any kind of brine seasoning. I don’t aim for specific prebiotics but instead try to eat a large variety of high-fiber non-processed (i.e., “real”) foods. Oats, bananas, lentils, and onions happen to be a few of my most common prebiotic sources.

As an amateur internet nutritionist, I align more with the people who believe that simple nutrition supplementation (in the form of pills) should be viewed only as a last resort if dietary changes alone can’t solve stubborn health problems. The biochemistry and microbiology of the human digestive system are extremely complex subjects, but emerging trends in nutrition science data suggest that simply tossing a few daily capsules worth of microorganisms into an already toxic environment (made that way from poor diet choices) isn’t optimal for those microorganisms to flourish. Since our gut bacteria facilitate the entire digestion process and since our food provides the basic building blocks that make up our body’s cells, it makes sense to me that many seemingly random physical issues (and mental ones too…the gut microbiome also interacts with the enteric nervous system lining in the gastrointestinal tract to form what’s often called our body’s “second brain”) can originate from poor gut bacteria health. So when we make food choices, we also need to be mindful of providing our probiotic gut bacteria with its own healthy food in the form of a diverse array of natural prebiotic fiber.

Now here comes the part where I casually shift the topic to my vegan propaganda! That fiber diversity is one of several built-in advantages of a whole-food plant-based diet. Eating a large variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes while simultaneously avoiding animal growth hormones/antibiotics, food chain toxic metal buildup, artificial preservatives, all sorts of weird sweetening chemicals, and added sugars is the key to promoting a happy healthy environment for your gut bacteria. If you’re keenly interested in losing weight or in living longer by greatly reducing risks for heart disease and cancer, I hope you all will at least consider a whole-food vegan diet…whether that be a 100% elimination of meat/dairy/eggs or some degree of reduction. I’ve successfully been a 100% vegan for several years now, so I’m more than happy to offer advice and encouragement. A few tips for starters:

1. Consult whfoods.org and chronometer.com to help you meet your macronutrient and micronutrient needs.

2. Try various online vegan recipes and experiment with many different herbs and spices for your dishes.

3. Recommended supplements to consume with food: lichen-based D3 (if you have dark skin or live at high latitudes or generally don’t get much sunlight), microalgae-based DHA+EPA omega-3 (unless you eat a lot of flaxseed), B12 (unless you eat dirt or drink water directly from rivers and lakes lol).

4. Use sparingly: vegetable oils because of the unhealthy fats, salt if you have high blood pressure issues, vegan junk food.

5. If you struggle early on with fatigue and low energy, double-check to make sure you’re actually consuming enough daily calories and taking in all of the necessary nutrients.

6. If you experience stomach and intestinal discomfort during the first few days or weeks, that could simply be your body adjusting to all the extra daily fiber intake.

7. Disclaimer: I’m no doctor or professional dietician, so please consult one if you have special health concerns (especially Crohn’s or Celiac)!

And yes, I am fully aware that promoting a vegan diet on a Buffalo Bills message board is potential grounds for suspension of my account. I know our affinity for chicken wings. I see the thread titles in the off-topic forum (bacon, pulled pork, sloppy joes, pork chops, hunting, and fishing). I’ve been to the tailgates. I also acknowledge the stereotype of veganism being a “girly” diet (though you all should at least watch “The Game Changers” documentary on YouTube that is about 90 minutes long). But when it comes to something as supremely important as personal health, everyone should keep an open mind on what we choose to consume (probiotics, prebiotics, general diet, etc.). Suspend your preconceptions, consult peer-reviewed nutrition science research, and determine for yourselves!

• Like 1