Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Vintage cars. Original or modified?

RochesterRob

Recently, a friend was telling me about his BIL's 60's car and how nice it looked.  I checked out the pics and was disappointed to see it all chromed out.  For me it is more of a treat to see an old car look factory than a catalog makeover.  The car in question would not have been so bad if it had been a long way from being factory before it got chromed but this car was very original before its makeover.  There are precious few cars out there that are close to factory so why ruin them?  

I agree with you.  I have a 68 Barracuda that matches how it was delivered.  This makes look and feel really classic.  

Adding chrome where it does not belong changes the look.  Why ruin a classic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Had a chance to buy one of these and have always regretted not doing it. 

sc0516-243304_1@2x.jpg

That’s a beauty.  Always had a vision of driving myself cross country in a vintage Mustang.

Hitbyaparkedcar
18 hours ago, Nanker said:

Had a chance to buy one of these and have always regretted not doing it. 

sc0516-243304_1@2x.jpg

Similar, 66 coupe w/original 289. 1988 in Hamburg while home on leave. $600. Just didn't have it at the time 😞

Beer__League__Hockey
43 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Performance mods yes. Solely aesthetic mods no. 

Agreed, you can do a bunch of performance modifications to a car and keep it original looking from the outside.  That is my personal favorite look.

Honestly, tasteful body mods are just fine.  Performance mods are pretty much mandatory, especially when it relates to handling. 

When I see some of the things a guy like Chip Foose does (getting the bumpers tighter to the body, frenching things in, etc.) it makes perfect sense. 

20 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Honestly, tasteful body mods are just fine.  Performance mods are pretty much mandatory, especially when it relates to handling. 

When I see some of the things a guy like Chip Foose does (getting the bumpers tighter to the body, frenching things in, etc.) it makes perfect sense. 

Tasteful is the key word here.  Too many mods I see are gaudy or over the top.