Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Beane signed to multi-year extension

Virgil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a look of the drafts from 2017-2020 and how the teams did for value. Buffalo is ranked fourth on every chart except for the relative outcome. Beane came on as the Bills GM May 9, 2017. The 2017 draft was April 27-29. This article will be very interesting next year, and years going forward as Josh Allen develops and grows. 

Yeah, yeah, there is some voodoo in their numbers, but it is off season.

Riske: A new look at historical draft success for all 32 NFL teams

Last year, we investigated the individual draft success of each NFL team by comparing the performance of each draft pick against the expectation based on draft position. With the 2021 NFL Draft now just over two months away, we want to revisit this study using another method to describe draft success.

The success of a draft pick is measured by the PFF WAR (wins above replacement) of the respective player over the first four years, as this is the time frame in which a drafted player yields surplus value due to his relatively cheap rookie contract.

We want to examine recent draft success, but players drafted in 2018 or later haven’t yet played four years. Luckily, WAR after four years is highly correlated to WAR after three or even two years, with R^2 values of 0.96 and 0.87, respectively. Therefore, we can assess each team's 2018 and 2019 draft success by predicting the WAR numbers after four years with a high degree of accuracy.

It even makes sense to include the 2020 draft, as rookie WAR and draft position predict the WAR after four years with an R^2 value of 0.60 (the draft position adds 0.05 compared to only using rookie WAR).

Using the projected four-year WAR for each draft pick from 2018 through 2020, along with the actual four-year WAR for the 2017 draft class, we can compute the draft success of each NFL team by adding the difference between the outcome and the expectation for each draft pick.

This is a measure of the magnitude of the surplus value a team enjoyed from their draft picks during the 2020 season since these were the players on a rookie contract.

The following chart displays the outcome of each draft pick and the total draft success through the team logos.

</snip>

• Like 2

PFF can't help themselves. So, the Bills got a franchise QB moving up to 7 for picks 12, 53, and 56 and that is a "hefty price"?  They may wanna tell that to the team that offered two entire drafts for Watson.

The best draft decision for each NFL team in the past 5 years

Buffalo Bills: Believing in Josh Allen’s Tools

There is not really a debate here. What’s lost is that the Bills paid a bit of a hefty price to secure Allen, giving up picks 12, 53 and 56 in that 2018 draft. Fortune favors the bold, as they say.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

PFF can't help themselves. So, the Bills got a franchise QB moving up to 7 for picks 12, 53, and 56 and that is a "hefty price"?  They may wanna tell that to the team that offered two entire drafts for Watson.

The best draft decision for each NFL team in the past 5 years

Buffalo Bills: Believing in Josh Allen’s Tools

There is not really a debate here. What’s lost is that the Bills paid a bit of a hefty price to secure Allen, giving up picks 12, 53 and 56 in that 2018 draft. Fortune favors the bold, as they say.

There isn't a GM in the sport that wouldn't give up that and more to get a record-setting franchise QB.  You know how many BILLS QBs have led the team to a 13-3 record and two playoff victories in a season?  TWO.  IN SIXTY YEARS.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

After his rookie year (when he was tossing it to some guys found at 7-11), this is true. What happens after he signs that new contract though?

I'm an unabashed Bills homer and Josh Allen fanboy, so take what I write with a grain of salt: You do not grow up where and how Josh grew up, and take the path he took to get to this position, and suddenly wake up and decide you need to be the highest paid QB in the game.

You work a farm in Firebaugh as a kid, with his parents and upbringing, and there is no question in my mind you realize you can be very successful if you give the team a hometown discount now to ensure the team has enough left over to put the right people around you like a hole surrounds itself with a donut.

I will not be surprised if that is the story when he IS signed.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm an unabashed Bills homer and Josh Allen fanboy, so take what I write with a grain of salt: You do not grow up where and how Josh grew up, and take the path he took to get to this position, and suddenly wake up and decide you need to be the highest paid QB in the game.

You work a farm in Firebaugh as a kid, with his parents and upbringing, and there is no question in my mind you realize you can be very successful if you give the team a hometown discount now to ensure the team has enough left over to put the right people around you like a hole surrounds itself with a donut.

I will not be surprised if that is the story when he IS signed.

Especially when teammates are taking voluntary paycuts to remain on the team.

• Like 2