Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Week 14: BILLS vs Steelers : The Aftermath

Ann

38 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Sorry you missed it. I've missed so many in the past. Actually early on - pregame Gemini was in the far eastern sky around the horizon. We just went out after the game and it was right overhead. Looked like they were shooting through Orion.

There's a full solar eclipse today as well. But it'll be in Chile and Argentina. Too far to travel.

Might be time to stock up on canned goods the way things are going with the Bills!

• Haha 1

From Joe Buscaglia at the Athletic (pay site)

Josh Allen continues to soar as Bills make playoff noise: 7 observations

</snip>

5) Oliver is outstanding once again

Oliver had just one tackle for loss Sunday. But, as is often the case with defensive statistics, they fall short of measuring a player’s real impact on a game. And against the Steelers, Oliver forced the issue against the interior offensive line. He was fast and powerful and worked his way into the backfield against one-on-one matchups as a pass rusher. Oliver was part of the defensive caravan that brought down Roethlisberger on that pivotal third-and-9 play. As a run defender, he shed blocks and helped to fill the middle of offensive line. Oliver finished the game with the most defensive tackle snaps by far, as his coaches see him developing into the asset they drafted with the ninth pick in 2019. In my weekly independent study of the Bills’ film and player performance, Oliver has turned a corner since late October. Since the Bills’ Week 7 win over the New York Jets, Oliver is the second-highest graded defender (3.27 GPA), just barely trailing free safety Micah Hyde (3.28) for the top honors over that stretch. If you’re looking for a reason for the improvements, Oliver’s turnaround coincides with the Bills taking a massive step forward.

</snip>

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Ann said:

</snip>

Oliver had just one tackle for loss Sunday. But, as is often the case with defensive statistics, they fall short of measuring a player’s real impact on a game. And against the Steelers, Oliver forced the issue against the interior offensive line. He was fast and powerful and worked his way into the backfield against one-on-one matchups as a pass rusher. Oliver was part of the defensive caravan that brought down Roethlisberger on that pivotal third-and-9 play. As a run defender, he shed blocks and helped to fill the middle of offensive line. Oliver finished the game with the most defensive tackle snaps by far, as his coaches see him developing into the asset they drafted with the ninth pick in 2019. In my weekly independent study of the Bills’ film and player performance, Oliver has turned a corner since late October. Since the Bills’ Week 7 win over the New York Jets, Oliver is the second-highest graded defender (3.27 GPA), just barely trailing free safety Micah Hyde (3.28) for the top honors over that stretch. If you’re looking for a reason for the improvements, Oliver’s turnaround coincides with the Bills taking a massive step forward.

</snip>

! This claim about Ed Oliver is disputed

not by me :classic_ninja:

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

The broadcasters thought there was OFI but Digs had superior body control, the CB not so much.

All within 5 yds of the LoS in any case, and well before the ball was thrown.  

TtownBillsFan
13 hours ago, Ann said:

</snip>

</snip>

Good GRIEF I want that kid to develop into what he could be.  His freak physicality could make him one of the best ever.  Hopefully the desire is there, as the measurables have always been off-the-charts!

</snip>

NBC’s Sunday Night Football ruled the night Sunday with the Pittsburgh-Buffalo game delivering a 3.9 in the adults 18-49 demographic and 14.18 million viewers, with the Bills’ 26-15 victory in the meeting of two of the NFL’s top teams up a tenth early numbers from last week’s game between Denver and Kansas City.

</snip>

Here are the yearly numbers. It seems to vary a lot, and I am not sure if week 14 is yet considered complete (I have no idea if they have gathered the 24 hour dvr numbers).

Went to a couple of Steelers' message boards to see what the feeling was about the game.  Obviously, they have their share of "less intelligent" (to put it mildly) football posters like most large sites do.

That being said, the best comment of all of them was: "That's it.  The BILLS are the new Steelers."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Yep. We’re seeing a changing of the guard and this time The Bills are on the ascendancy. Steelers, *Patriots, Saints, Cowboys, and others are looking downward from here. 

You have a better chance watching me count extra Biden ballots than you do saying anything positive about Timmah Graham, but this is a decent article about the Bills 7-minute drive vs. the Steelers.

Such prolonged clock dominance is rare regardless of the opponent. The feat becomes more exceptional when considering it came against the Steelers, who already have claimed a postseason berth and deploy a fearsome defense.

You have to go back seven years to find a longer game-ending drive versus an opponent that made the playoffs. Over the past five years, Buffalo’s coup de grace is 70 seconds longer than the next closest example.

Edited by IDBillzFan

40 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

You have a better chance watching me count extra Biden ballots than you do saying anything positive about Timmah Graham, but this is a decent article about the Bills 7-minute drive vs. the Steelers.

I haven't read the article yet but I have two points to make:

1.  The Steelers' defense of week 14 isn't fully loaded.  Losing Dupree, Spillane, Williams, and Joe Hayden is pretty dramatic.  Think of how we'd look without Trey, Milano, Hughes, and Edmunds (we've been close to that and it wasn't pretty).

2.  Their schedule has been VERY kind to them.  They've played pretty much nobody.  The only real "quality" wins they've had are against the Titans (a game they led by 17 points in the second half and were a Gostkowski FG away from playing OT) and the first game against the Ravens (a game Lamar Jackson basically gave away - the Steelers finished with 221 yards of TOTAL offense). 

They really struggled against a bad Dallas team and Washington smashed them right in the mouth just a week ago.  They are honestly the worst 11-2 team I can remember.  I won't be surprised at all if they lose 2 of their last 3 and finish 12-4 and get tossed in the first game of the postseason.

• Like 1

you just love to see words like this from the opposing team's HC.

Mike Tomlin points to one big reason the Steelers lost their second game in a row

If you're looking for a play to support Mike Tomlin's belief that the Bills were the more physical team on Sunday night, you don't have to look any further than the game's opening kickoff. 

Tyler Matakevich, a former Steeler, started the game with a crunching tackle of Ray-Ray McCloud inside Pittsburgh's 10-yard-line. The opening kickoff symbolized what type of game it would be for both teams, as Tomlin said Tuesday that the Bills' physical dominance was the biggest thing that jumped out during film review. 

"I thought in all elements of play, they were the more physical group," said Tomlin, whose team fell to 11-2 after losing in Buffalo, 26-15. "They're a physical football team in general, and so they're capable of that. But for us, regardless of circumstance, we don't want to make that comment. But that comment is true as it pertains to that matchup. We've got to be accountable to that, and we are. We've got to make sure that we're not saying that moving forward. There haven't been a lot of situations where we can say that, but definitely, I thought they were the most physical group."...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

This dude is pretty funny

“7-0 Pittsburgh. How did we get this far behind? Pittsburgh ain’t never catching up now!” 
:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1