Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Obituaries

B-Man

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Herb Solow dies yesterday, in his sleep.  The Desilu executive who worked with Gene Roddenberry to get Star Trek produced.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/11/21/herbert-f-solow-a-founding-father-of-star-trek-dies-at-89/

It's interesting to hear how color television was developed so that a color broadcast could be viewed on a black & white television. I remember getting our first color TV - a lot of programming at the time was still in black & white. 

That was forever ago. 

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

A family member:

https://www.currentobituary.com/obit/249435

Walter L. Brousseau had an enormous heart. His was a heart full of pride and cheerfulness, but more than that, way more, it was brimming over with love. Walter Brousseau truly did have a heart of gold.

Walter L. Brousseau was born on September 2, 1943 in Central Falls, Rhode Island to the late George Henri and Rosanna (LeClair) Brousseau.

Walter passed away on Saturday November 14, 2020 at Landmark Medical Center in Woonsocket. He lived for 77 wonderful years.

Walter was a graduate of Sacred Heart Academy in Central Falls and went on to learn the welding trade at Davies Technical School. He was raised in Central Falls and lived in Pawtucket for several years. He was a resident of Woonsocket for over 46 years.

Walter served his country as a member of the United States Army from 1964 to 1967 in the Vietnam War. The far off jungles and tropical heat of Vietnam were a far cry from the familiar surroundings of the Blackstone Valley, but it was Walter’s faith and sense of duty to his country that would see him through his experiences in Vietnam.

Walter was awarded the Overseas Service Bar, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Mechanic Badge with Bar and Expert Rifleman Badge. Justly proud of his service as Vietnam Veteran Walter would exhibit that pride as a member of the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter # 818, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the St. Joseph Veterans Association. Walter could often be seen at ceremonies in Woonsocket honoring veterans. He would be proudly wearing is Vietnam Veterans hat.

Walter was employed by Blackstone Valley Electric Company for over 35 years until retiring in 2000.

Walter was skilled with his hands as he undertook many a project in and around his house; he was forever working on something. When Walter was determined to do something he put his mind to it and could build just about anything.

Walter loved to hit the open road on two wheels atop his Sportster as he was a lifelong motorcycle enthusiast. He also had a great time on four wheels with his classic Austin Healy sports car. Getting out on the open road and seeing what lay around the next bend in the road or over the next hill was right up Walter’s alley. Along the way on these trips Walter loved to stop and have a meal at restaurants he found during his travels.

Walter was proud of his French-Canadian heritage, as evidenced by his attendance at functions such as Parlons Francis and the American French Genealogical Society. He enjoyed conversing in French and keeping up the traditions of his forbearers.

By far and away the most important thing in Walters’s life was his family. His love for them knew absolutely no bounds. Walter was the loving husband of the late Dorothy Louise (Boucher) Brousseau. They were married on December 12, 1970 and shared 40 wonderful years together until her passing in 2010. Walter is survived by his son Michael D. Brousseau of Woonsocket, Christen M. Brousseau and her husband Todd Guerin of Blackstone. Walter was also grandfather of Amber Lee Guerin of Blackstone. Amber will forever be Walter’s true pride and joy. From her earliest days Walter was the best Pepere in the world to Amber whom he loved with all of that great big heart of his. In addition to his children and granddaughter, Walter was also leaves behind his friend and companion Elaine Brouillette of Woonsocket.

Walter was the brother of Pauline Nunes, Cecile Brillion, Claire Sousa and Jeanne Louise Fitzgerald and the late Henri, Jean and Paul Brousseau. He is also survived by many nieces and nephews and their families.

Walter will be remembered as a hard-working man who faithfully served his country, was proud of his heritage and loved his family more than anything else in the world. A kind and pleasant gentleman, Walter Brousseau was truly a gentle giant and will forever have a heart of gold.

His funeral will be Tuesday November 24th at 9:00 am from the Menard-Lacouture Funeral Home 127 Carrington Ave. Woonsocket followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 10:00 am in Holy Trinity Parish (OLQM) Church, 1409 Park Ave. Woonsocket. Burial with military honors will be in the Rhode Island Veterans Cemetery at a later date. Visiting hours are Monday November 23rd from 2-4 & 6-8 pm. In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter # 818 P.O. Box 818 Woonsocket RI. 02895.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Kids these days...no idea of what it was like to watch a bold primary color palette on a fuzzy black and white TV screen, trying to adjust the rabbit ears so the signal didn't fall apart when someone walked by with a TV dinner in one of those foil trays.  And having to watch on someone else's schedule, not your own.  

And lets not even mention mom running the vacuum whenever anything good was on. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, AZ. said:

And lets not even mention mom running the vacuum whenever anything good was on. 

When we were kids, the tape recorder was the most important tech in the house. Favorite song came on the radio? Hit 'Record' and hold your breath until the song was over and safely recorded. We also did it for certain highly important TV shows. I don't recall why exactly, but one time we were attempting to record the very dramatic scene in Brian's Song where they are saying goodbyes, and suddenly the hushed drama was broken by my mom's shrill voice loudly admonishing me for not eating my ice cream. Of course, it made the tape a classic and we kept it for years.

Also, my MIL passed away on Thursday.  It was a blessing, she had taken a bad turn.  And that's a bad turn from the previous 14 years I knew her when literally the only things I ever saw her do was ride in the car, eat, sleep or watch TV.   She was quite an accomplished and vivacious women in her earlier years from all accounts, but really capitulated to old age so that was rather sad.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Kids these days...no idea of what it was like to watch a bold primary color palette on a fuzzy black and white TV screen, trying to adjust the rabbit ears so the signal didn't fall apart when someone walked by with a TV dinner in one of those foil trays.  And having to watch on someone else's schedule, not your own.  

And not being able to send out temper tantrum tweets to #cancel an actor/actress that holds a differing opinion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You expect her to run it during her "stories?"

I see your childhood experience was similar to mine. 

23 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

When we were kids, the tape recorder was the most important tech in the house. Favorite song came on the radio? Hit 'Record' and hold your breath until the song was over and safely recorded. We also did it for certain highly important TV shows. I don't recall why exactly, but one time we were attempting to record the very dramatic scene in Brian's Song where they are saying goodbyes, and suddenly the hushed drama was broken by my mom's shrill voice loudly admonishing me for not eating my ice cream. Of course, it made the tape a classic and we kept it for years.

Also, my MIL passed away on Thursday.  It was a blessing, she had taken a bad turn.  And that's a bad turn from the previous 14 years I knew her when literally the only things I ever saw her do was ride in the car, eat, sleep or watch TV.   She was quite an accomplished and vivacious women in her earlier years from all accounts, but really capitulated to old age so that was rather sad.

Yeah, I amused myself with tape recorder mischief, first with a small reel-to-reel deck from Radio Shack, and later with a compact cassette deck. My dad busted me recording a cocktail party my parents were hosting - I received a stern lecture the next morning on the sanctity of parental privacy. 

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. Family losses are always felt more keenly at the holidays. Your family will be in my prayers. 

• Like 3

David Dinkins, NYC’s first black mayor, dead at 93

David Dinkins, who was elected New York City’s first black mayor in 1989 and famously referred to the nation’s largest metropolis as a “gorgeous mosaic,” died Monday night, sources told The Post.

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

David Dinkins, NYC’s first black mayor, dead at 93

David Dinkins, who was elected New York City’s first black mayor in 1989 and famously referred to the nation’s largest metropolis as a “gorgeous mosaic,” died Monday night, sources told The Post.

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

RIP

When I look at modern liberals, I appreciate guys like this a lot more than I used to.  Still, he was a lightweight compared to Rudy.

• Like 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
On 11/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, B-Man said:

From the article:

Renowned for his breathtaking playing ability, Maradona's wild life off the pitch was equally notorious; running around with the mafia in Naples, serial womanising and a lethal dependency on alcohol and cocaine. 

I want to be clear here, I personally never  wanted this type of life.  Still, when you read it, the guy seems to have lived on his own terms, and had a hell of a ride!  

:wine:

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

From the article:

Renowned for his breathtaking playing ability, Maradona's wild life off the pitch was equally notorious; running around with the mafia in Naples, serial womanising and a lethal dependency on alcohol and cocaine. 

I want to be clear here, I personally never  wanted this type of life.  Still, when you read it, the guy seems to have lived on his own terms, and had a hell of a ride!  

If you say so leh-nerd:
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars
Oak tree you're in my way
There's too much coke and too much smoke
Look what's going on inside you

• Haha 2

Nouseforaname
8 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

From the article:

image.jpeg.cb39f617f43ec8517392c0a0451b7ab4.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wacka said:

He was also the bodybuilder guy carrying around the old man that the droogs  beat up ("Singing in the Rain") in A Clockwork Orange.

I added the same in Jack's thread before I saw your post- sorry for the redundancy. 

• Like 1

Maybe not nationally known, but one of the greatest athletes. from WNY

St. Bonaventure Athletics Mourns Passing of George Carter, '67

carter_memoriam_fp.jpg

ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. – The St. Bonaventure Department of Athletics mourns the loss of George Carter, '67, who passed away recently.

Carter earned his rightful spot as one of Bonaventure's best-ever men's basketball players when he was named to the program's All-Time Team as part of Bona's Centennial Season celebration last year. In three seasons on the basketball court, the Silver Creek, N.Y. native became a member of the 1,000-point club with 1,322 points and averaged 19.4 points per game. Today, he ranks fifth in school history for career rebounds with 849 including a career-high 305 in 1966-67. His career scoring average per game is ninth in Bonnies history while his 12.5 rebounds per game stand behind only Bob Lanier in the Bona record books. He also served as a team captain during his Bonaventure days.

He was drafted 81st overall by the Detroit Pistons in the 1967 NBA Draft, and was such a brilliant athlete that he also was drafted by the Buffalo Bills and the New York Mets, making him the only athlete born in Western New York to be drafted by three professional sports teams.

After serving two years in the military, he played in the ABA, first with the Washington Capitals where he was an all-star in 1970, and then with the Virginia Squires where he played alongside Julius Erving. He also played for the Pittsburgh Condors, Carolina Cougars and New York Nets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Terrible news..........

Heritage Mourns Loss of Walter Williams

5703f3478401e.image.jpg

Dec 2, 2020

"Walter Williams was an American hero. Born in poverty, raised by a single mother in the projects of North Philadelphia, a college drop-out, he overcame all types of adversity to become a nationally renowned professor, economist and columnist. 

"No matter what hat he wore, he was first and foremost an incorrigible fighter for freedom. As an Army private, he refused to let threats of court martial keep him from speaking out against Jim Crow policies in the military. After completing his tour of duty in Korea, Walter went on to earn his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees in economics. It was the field in which he fought for the rest of his career, promoting free markets as the system best able to deliver economic justice and fairness. 

"Walter’s voice and knowledge extended beyond the classroom. His frequent lectures at Heritage always packed our auditorium. He authored 10 books and hundreds of articles for scholarly journals. He also found time to serve on the boards of many think tanks and organizations. As a member of our advisory board, Walter frequently contributed to our publications, offering his sage advice on economic topics of the day.  

"Whatever the venue—including his nationally syndicated newspaper column or in Congressional hearing rooms—Walter was never shy about criticizing public policies he believed were harmful to economic growth and to the minority groups they were supposed to benefit. 

https://www.heritage.org/press/heritage-mourns-loss-walter-williams

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not a name I am familiar with but his obit says he managed AA Buffalo at age 31. RIP.

Former Major League Baseball player, coach and longtime Portland Beaver Tommy Sandt dies at age 69
"Sandt retired as a player with the Portland Beavers in 1981 and quickly shifted to managing, leading the Double-A Buffalo Bisons in 1982 at just 31 years old."
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/12/former-major-league-baseball-player-coach-and-longtime-portland-beaver-tommy-sandt-dies-at-age-69.html

• Cheers 1