Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2020 Division Title vs 2017 Wildcard-how do they compare for you?

Chandemonium

This morning I woke up reflecting on The Bills’ division title, and my reaction to it compared to when the drought ended in 2017. In 2017 when the Bills beat Miami week 17 to stay in the hunt, I immediately switched over to the Ravens-Cincy game because I didn’t trust the network to switch coverage fast enough. I watched as The Bengals got themselves into a 4th and long against a team that needed it more and thought that’s it, better luck next year. Then Dalton hit Boyd on that TD pass and I about jumped through the ceiling, but I was still cautious about getting too excited about the playoffs because the Ravens still had enough time left for a long shot go ahead drive of their own, and I am a Bills fan, after all. It wasn’t until the Ravens failed to convert their own 4th down that I really started to believe we were going to the playoffs.  And that’s when the tears came. To hear my wife tell it I ugly cried, but personally I think it was beautiful. 

This time, it felt different. I wouldn’t say I was less happy, but there wasn’t that over the top jubilation combined with ugly crying cathartic release of 17 years of frustration. Instead, it was more of a content feeling of being pleased that the game had gone as desired and expected. Wrapping up a division title with 2 weeks to go is objectively more impressive than backing into the final Wildcard spot on one of the last plays of week 17 to be sure, and I think it’s a testament to how far the team has come the past 4 years and particularly this season that I could simply be content that they had done what they were supposed to.

The one bittersweet pill here is, of course, the pandemic situation. After I regained my composure in 2017 the first thing I did was call my mom. The second thing I did was order playoff game tickets. There was simply no way I was going to miss being in the stadium for the Bills first playoff game since I was in middle school. The actual game notwithstanding, that weekend in Jacksonville was one of the best experiences I’ve had as a Bills fan. Still, I longed for that same experience in Orchard Park, with sub freezing temperatures and a stiff breeze blowing in off the lake, and I vowed that for the next home playoff game I would do whatever it took to be there. Now here we are, and it appears as though COVID restrictions have taken that away from us. Yes, I know Cuomo said some fans may be a possibility, but I doubt that comes to fruition. As I was thinking about it this morning, I realized that even if it does and I could somehow be one of the lucky few to get tickets, I don’t think I would want to experience my first home playoff game in a capacity restricted, socially distant, mask wearing crowd. I want the real thing, with 70,000+ packed in elbow to elbow screaming their heads off. Here’s to many more years of getting the real thing. :beer:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Beer__League__Hockey

2017 was an unexpected fun time, and remember it only lasted 6 days.  Plus we knew that we were not in the SB potential group of teams.  We were lucky to even be included.  Very cool you made it down there!

This year is different.  Dream big.  I'm not gearing up for an early first round exit.  I am mentally preparing for that game in KC near the end of Jan.  That is the target.  While the games in between will be very important, are just filler.

• Like 1

2017 for me was more surprised for me, hence more jubilation. I expected this year..maybe not Josh being as great as he has been...but i was 100% convinced they would win the division, even after the *Patriots signed Cam. So now that jubilation will be if they get to the AFC championship. 

• Like 1

I was definitely euphoric in 2017. The manner in which they made the playoffs, after such a long drought, was a shock.  In 2020, anything less than winning the AFCE would have been a disappointing season.

If they win the AFC and make it to the Super Bowl? Yeah, that would shock and awe and be much cause for celebration.

18 minutes ago, Ann said:

I was definitely euphoric in 2017. The manner in which they made the playoffs, after such a long drought, was a shock.  In 2020, anything less than winning the AFCE would have been a disappointing season.

If they win the AFC and make it to the Super Bowl? Yeah, that would shock and awe and be much cause for celebration.

This is where I am. 2017 was a miracle. This was expected. Don't get me wrong. Im pumped. That said in September I expected to make it here....Thats why I said the next game matters more. Then the game after that. and then after that. Gotta keep my BP where it belongs.

• Like 1

To me, this is much bigger. Next step in the chain. Next milestone in the pregnancy. 

And in 2O17 we were hoping to win that wildcard game. This time, I’m expecting to win. 

I was was thinking about those beautiful 4 runs to the AFC Championships. There was nothing better than those games. After 26 years, the pain of the SB losses is long gone for me.

• Like 2

The Kyle Williams video sums up 2017 for me.

In 2020 there is contentment that we have supplanted the *Patriots and won the division. 

But as stated previously, I want it all, I want it now. 

Well, I expect The Bills first SuperBowl victory to be incredibly joyous and emotional moment for me. I probably won’t be quite so after their fourth and fifth. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nanker said:

Well, I expect The Bills first SuperBowl victory to be incredibly joyous and emotional moment for me...

I'll just be happy if the crowd doesn't burn downtown Buffalo to the ground in celebration during the parade.

• Like 1