Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 NFL Head Coach Openings [Edited: All Positions Filled]

Ann

Worried about Daboll being poached for a HC position? You are not alone. Who has/will have HC positions opening up? Will Daboll get one of those positions?

Three years ago people were ready to run Daboll out of town on a rail. Now? I would like to see him stick around another year. If the Bills manage to win the Super Bowl, he's as good as gone.

If Leslie Frazier gets a HC job the Bills get draft picks:

Teams that lose a minority coach or executive to a head coach or general manager job with another team will receive a third-round compensatory pick for two consecutive years, per Pelissero. If a team loses a minority coach and an executive to HC and GM roles, that club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for three consecutive years.

According to the resolution, a team is eligible to receive draft pick compensation if the candidate in question has been "employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two years." There can be no break in employment between teams.

Current NFL Head Coach Vacancies

Detroit Lions   ✔️   position filled 
Houston Texans ✔️  position filled
Atlanta Falcons ✔️ position filled
● NY Jets  ✔️  position filled 
● Jacksonville  ✔️  position filled
Los Angeles Chargers ✔️  position filled 

Philadelphia ✔️  position filled

Possible Vacancies

● Philly ✔️
● Nagy... but if the Bears make the playoffs... Safe

● Does BB finally retire?
● Tomlin in the hot seat?

Note: While Carolina is looking for a GM, the first year head coach Matt Rhule is not only safe, he's got lots of power.
Jacksonville is also looking for a new GM. If they fire Marrone, the replacement will wait until after the new GM is hired.

What say you!?  Who do you think fires their current head coach? Does Daboll leave? Does Frazier leave? If so, where do they end up?

Billsandhorns

I think it would take something very special to get Daboll out of Buffalo. He is from the area and his entire family and in-laws are there. I know there are only 32 spots but, he seems very happy where he is now.

5 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

I think it would take something very special to get Daboll out of Buffalo. He is from the area and his entire family and in-laws are there. I know there are only 32 spots but, he seems very happy where he is now.

I don't know... Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert are very tempting from a coaching perspective.

• Like 2

Billsandhorns
6 minutes ago, Ann said:

I don't know... Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert are very tempting from a coaching perspective.

They could be, but as a head coach he would not be able to really just concentrate on those guys or the offence.

Maybe he realizes that he is not suited to be a head coach. That is a hard lesson that some others had to learn the hard way. Wade Phillips is a perfect example. One of the best defensive coordinators I have seen. Head coach, not so much

• Like 1

It would be nice if one of our local media types had any type of relationship with Daboll to answer the question on what his goals actually are.  I have zero doubt the Pegulas will pay top coordinator dollar to keep the dude around if that's what he wants. 

He might not even wanna be a head coach.  Not everyone does because you lose a lot of fun things you get as a coordinator (being shielded from the media, time with players, etc.).  For all we know he already has his dream job and never wants to leave.

• Like 3

I wonder whether a long playoff run would tend to keep Daboll in Buffalo.

It could be that the tempting spots close up before he's eligible to be interviewed. 

And maybe it is just the way I would go about it, but if it were me, I'd stick around if the Bills get the the AFC Championship and further.  Might as well try to do it again.  If they flame out in the first game, then capitalize on the good season while he's a hot commodity.

There's always jobs opening up.  Daboll already took an offense from scratch to excellent.  He can be a candidate this year or next year, etc.  Why start over with another team's GM or ownership that has a decent chance to not "get it right" with personnel moves, etc.?  There's teams like the Jets and JAX who always seem to screw things up.  There's teams like Houston who's a mess.  There's teams that need an overhaul -- which takes years; so anyone coming in had better hope that ownership has patience.

Of that list, I think the Chargers job has the most potential.

10 minutes ago, snafu said:

Of that list, I think the Chargers job has the most potential.

Agreed.  That team significantly under performed the talent.  I really like Anthony Lind but his gameday decision making is far below par. 

The downside of that job is the division.  Knowing KC is going to be a good team for another decade is like looking down the barrel of a loaded machine gun.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

How many coordinators have actually said that, though?  With an offense that has come together to the point of looking like they're reading each others' minds on the field, and no obvious drama queens or head cases to manage, Daboll has to be having as much fun as it's possible to have as a coordinator...but how many coaches go into coaching without wanting to be a head coach some day?

I'd love it if Daboll said "I'm in a great position with a great team, and I'm going to ride it, because opportunities like this don't come that often."  But it's tough to imagine, and equally to imagine teams responding with "Okay, we understand, good luck" and anyone offering him another HC chance after that.

Tom Moore is the one I can think of off the top of my head but there are probably others.

I recall a couple of local talking heads mention that losing Daboll and promoting Ken Dorsey to OC would not only avoid a drop off, it would probably bring a new energy and plan to the offense.

NO idea if this is even remotely true. I think I believe it to make myself feel better about losing Daboll. The question, I think, is less about money and more about his personal aspirations relative to being part of a SB-competitive team in his home town.

Every year 3 to 6 or more HC jobs come up.

Look at Mike Petton who jumped ship to lead the Brownies because he was hungry. He could have waited and had another better opportunity in a year or two. 

What have BB’s coordinators done when they got command of a franchise? Most have crapped the bed. Some of his players and positional coaches have had more success (recently Vrabel and Flores). 

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I hope not.  I hope he's fired.  

And I hope the **Patriots' front office does it by writing "You're fired" on a napkin and handing it to him at the end-of-season press conference.  

That is an awesome, if highly unlikely, scenario.

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I hope not.  I hope he's fired.  

And I hope the **Patriots' front office does it by writing "You're fired" on a napkin and handing it to him at the end-of-season press conference.  

I don't see Kraft firing BB.  Kraft will give BB 2 or 3 more seasons to start the next chapter.  Unpalatable as it may be to Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans Kraft may clear the channels for a major trade to secure someone such as Lawrence.  I think that BB leaves on his own versus being fired. 

28 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't see Kraft firing BB.  Kraft will give BB 2 or 3 more seasons to start the next chapter.  Unpalatable as it may be to Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans Kraft may clear the channels for a major trade to secure someone such as Lawrence.  I think that BB leaves on his own versus being fired. 

That's a fun thing to think about.  I wonder how much more teams would charge the *Patriots to move up to the top of the draft? 

7 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's a fun thing to think about.  I wonder how much more teams would charge the **Patriots to move up to the top of the draft? 

The *Patriots sit currently at 15 in the draft order.  Then there is Lawrence who is likely to sit at the top right until his name is called in the draft.  Then there is the history of the *Patriots under the current regime which has been anything but extraordinary in terms of converting picks into capable players.  I could see NE offering up to 3 number 1's, 2 number 2's, and a couple of players to move to the top of the draft.  My gut feeling without really knowing the depth of players to know how valuable rounds 3,4, and 5 are is NE may offer their entire 2021 portfolio to maybe save one of their future number 1's and one of their number 2's.  Time will tell.

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's a fun thing to think about.  I wonder how much more teams would charge the **Patriots to move up to the top of the draft? 

The Jets would trade their #1 straight up for... Bill Billicheck. :classic_ninja:

• Haha 1