Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 NFL Head Coach Openings [Edited: All Positions Filled]

Ann

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Thank goodness he overthrew that easy TD to Brown (btw, I know Tre was protecting against the first down, but that was a major &#%$ up).  It would have been a very nervous last few minutes.

Even aside from the pick-6 I thought Jackson was pretty bad.

Boy, no kidding.  Tre got seriously caught looking into the backfield on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

So with all the games in the book, I find myself once again shaking my head at what we're told by the insiders about the 'hot HC candidates' and what we actually end up seeing.

"We're told the Houston job is between Bienemy and Frazier" and neither were correct.

"San Diego is waiting for Daboll to work his magic with Herbert."

The hot names -- Daboll and Bienemy -- get nothing. Frazier barely got a sniff. Most of the 'hot' candidates never got the job. The only one everyone got right was Jacksonville and Meyer...which even Doug Marrone could have gotten right.

Driving around today I heard Dire Straits "Money for Nothing," and re-listening to the lyrics, they could have just as easily been talking about the NFL insider talking heads. 

"Look at them yo-yos.

That's the way you do it.

You make predictions on the NFL.

That ain't workin. That's the way you do it.

Money for nothing and your wings for free."

That's a cush job.

• Like 2

Buffalo Bills Fan
2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

So with all the games in the book, I find myself once again shaking my head at what we're told by the insiders about the 'hot HC candidates' and what we actually end up seeing.

"We're told the Houston job is between Bienemy and Frazier" and neither were correct.

"San Diego is waiting for Daboll to work his magic with Herbert."

The hot names -- Daboll and Bienemy -- get nothing. Frazier barely got a sniff. Most of the 'hot' candidates never got the job. The only one everyone got right was Jacksonville and Meyer...which even Doug Marrone could have gotten right.

Driving around today I heard Dire Straits "Money for Nothing," and re-listening to the lyrics, they could have just as easily been talking about the NFL insider talking heads. 

"Look at them yo-yos.

That's the way you do it.

You make predictions on the NFL.

That ain't workin. That's the way you do it.

Money for nothing and your wings for free."

That's a cush job.

Agree. Like you're views man if I miss something always listen to you to improve on things. You're a good poster and a good guy.

• Like 1

Eric Bienemy is Romeo Crennel 2.0. He's a guy that the casual fan never heard of until a few months ago who became an overnight media darling because he got to call the plays drawn up by an already successful head coach who specializes in his side of the ball.

Andy Reid's been making mediocre QBs look like pro bowlers for decades, and now we're to believe that the mastermind behind KC's high octane air attack is a career running backs coach whose promotion just happened to coincide with the ascendency of Mahomes? 

Apparently no NFL team owners were buying it either.

• Like 1

I never get the media obsession with trying to make an assistant, who had one good year, or 'developed' a good player to have one good season, a head coach. Especially now with the media obsession that teams must hire flash-in-the-pan coaches because they happen to be black.

Hire a guy who is right for your team, not a guy who had one or two good seasons with completely different players.

• 3 weeks later...

The "more at" link just circles back to this same article.

NFL’s minority hiring rate for open jobs nearly doubled

The number of minority hires for open positions in the NFL nearly doubled to 34.6% in 2021.

According to the league’s demographics study obtained Friday by The Associated Press, the minority hirings included: three general managers, two head coaches, three offensive coordinators, six defensive coordinators, four special teams coordinators, three quarterbacks coaches.

The minority hiring rate was 18.8% in 2020. Interview requests for minority candidates increased to 47% from 22% in 2020.

</snip>

Bad math. The League is the victim of their own policies. They REQUIRE teams with open positions to interview minority candidates.

Some years there aren’t many viable candidates, so they get interviewed by every team who hasn’t checked off that required box yet.

Meanwhile, teams zero in on their most likely candidate and get down to business. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ann said:

Following up on the Bills not losing anyone (I didn't know where to put it, we need a misc Bills chat thread)

coach.JPG

I have no idea, just spit ballin' here but, was he possibly told he would not be retained? Hoping this goes towards helping the O-line's run scheme because it certainly left something to be desired last year..