Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 NFL Head Coach Openings [Edited: All Positions Filled]

Ann

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Oh we do have a special spot in our hearts for some of our favorite Patriot coaches (and players too).

I really wanted to like him when they hired him at ND...then he started talking.  He won a little bit with Ty Willingham's recruits and then basically blew the program apart.

I've amazed anyone ever gave him another chance but football people rarely learn from other people's mistakes.  Now he's on NFL Radio for morning drive, which is just incredible given his personality, delivery, and pedestrian takes.  I don't know how Charlie keeps getting paid to do anything involving football.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Gil Brandt is, without question, one of the smartest voices on the air. But listening to him speak is like listening to my 98-year-old grandfather take three minutes to explain that what he really wants is for someone to pass him the salt.

"Now...now...you see...that salt, you see, it's, you know, something that when, you know, it's ultimately passed to me, you know, it's something that, you can, um, it can, um...it can salt your food is what it can do. And...and...that salt is just, you know, something..."

Grandpa, spit it the phuck out, would you!

I can't believe you never told us your grandpa was the President Elect of the US!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Better than I expected.  32-48 record?

He also only was outscored by an average of 111 in quarters 2,3 and 4. Nearly doubling his production when it counts. 

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

LOL....what a shit show.

Dumb idea to break the wall between labor and management in the first place, but to do it and then blow him off is just top notch incompetence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

LOL....what a shit show.

Dumb idea to break the wall between labor and management in the first place, but to do it and then blow him off is just top notch incompetence.

What do you do? Do you keep him while he's unhappy? Do you trade him? And can you get a first for him?

I think you can, and discussion today that he'd make the 49'ers a SB contender is absolutely accurate, but the 49ers are sitting on #12. What the hell can Houston do to address their QB need at #12? Can they bundle other picks and hookers to trade with the Jets? Hell, Miami has #3...can they fleece Houston again so Houston can move up?

Like you said. A shit show.

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

What do you do? Do you keep him while he's unhappy? Do you trade him? And can you get a first for him?

I think you can, and discussion today that he'd make the 49'ers a SB contender is absolutely accurate, but the 49ers are sitting on #12. What the hell can Houston do to address their QB need at #12? Can they bundle other picks and hookers to trade with the Jets? Hell, Miami has #3...can they fleece Houston again so Houston can move up?

Like you said. A shit show.

Well, they're already a week into his $150MM extension so might as well start planning for his exit.  :classic_laugh:

Seriously, there's no option but to sort it out with him.  Obviously letting their star player think he had a say in the next GM was pretty stupid, but now they need to rely on the new guy to both smooth it over with Watson (fairly easy), and then rebuild the team around him (not so easy).

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Well, they're already a week into his $150MM extension so might as well start planning for his exit.  :classic_laugh:

Seriously, there's no option but to sort it out with him.  Obviously letting their star player think he had a say in the next GM was pretty stupid, but now they need to rely on the new guy to both smooth it over with Watson (fairly easy), and then rebuild the team around him (not so easy).

If you say you are going to have input then take the input.  Give an interview.  Mgt should reserve to hire who they want.

It is so good to have the Bills as the model on how to run a franchise.  

• Like 1

Welp, this will move things along...

Jaguars plan to meet with Urban Meyer to discuss head coaching vacancy

The Jacksonville Jaguars are planning to meet with Urban Meyer on Friday to discuss the team's head coaching vacancy, sources tell NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

No deal is imminent with Meyer, Pelissero adds, and the team still has at least one interview scheduled.

The Jaguars have already interviewed Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bienemy and Falcons interim coach Raheem Morris, with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh scheduled for Saturday.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan intends to run a thorough process and consider all options, according to Pelissero, who stressed there is no deal in place with Meyer or anyone else, per a source.

</snip>

Alaska Darin
17 minutes ago, Ann said:

The Jacksonville Jaguars are planning to meet with Urban Meyer on Friday to discuss the team's head coaching vacancy, sources tell NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

No deal is imminent with Meyer, Pelissero adds, and the team still has at least one interview scheduled.

The Jaguars have already interviewed Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bienemy and Falcons interim coach Raheem Morris, with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh scheduled for Saturday.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan intends to run a thorough process and consider all options, according to Pelissero, who stressed there is no deal in place with Meyer or anyone else, per a source.

</snip>

I love when they say that.  Like the NFL doesn't have rules about the process that have to be adhered to.  They want Meyer and if he wants them, he'll be the coach.  The fact that he's taking the interview at all means that he's likely the hire.

59 minutes ago, Ann said:

</snip>

If Urban turns them down, there's always Nate Hackett (blast from the past)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/08/matt-lafleur-teams-would-be-lucky-to-have-head-coach-like-nathaniel-hackett/

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur used to work for the Falcons, so he was able to give offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett some inside information about the organization before Hackett interviewed for their head coaching vacancy this week.

LaFleur said he had a “very special” experience while on former head coach Dan Quinn’s Falcons staff and he had equally high praise for Hackett’s readiness to move up to a head coaching position.

Alaska Darin
6 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Hmm.  He should have taken as many interviews as possible in advance of a potential 50 pt drop on Saturday 🙂

LOL

I suspect he doesn't want to coach in the same division.  The allure of Watson is strong but that team is a mess and I'm curious to see how candidates feel about the recent GM announcement.

2 hours ago, Ann said:

There is no way full focus is on the Bills game.  Prep is required for a successful interview and not much time between the Bills game and the interviews.  There is also the distraction.  Daboll did the right thing by declining while deep in playoff mode.

The last hot DC the Bills played was Saleh and that was not a resume builder for him.

• Like 1