Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner? Same every year? Or different?

mead107

We have been doing Christmas Eve dinner at our house 20 plus years. With family and my sister’s  family. 
we do a simple gift exchange. funny gifts. 
 Christmas we open gifts at our house with granddaughters. 
then on Christmas Day we head down to my sisters house mid day and have brunch and Dinner around 5. 

last year everything changed and we went to granddaughters. Sister went to her daughter’s family in ma. Our daughters house on Christmas Eve and sister’s daughters house Christmas Day 

dinners very 

sometimes turkey 

Sometimes rib roast 

sometimes Ham 

sometimes pasta 

what do you do? 

Edited by mead107
  • Like 2

Christmas Eve was always at grandma's.  Then at the uncle that took the house when she died, then at the cousin that took the house.  Switched to my 'rents house about 4 years ago.  This year we'll be the only ones going there.

Since moving back, Christmas day has always just been wife & kids at home.  Beyond mellow.

• Like 2

Christmas Eve is a family dinner with a smoked rib roast.  My wife will do the sides and baking.  Got a nice 7 pound prime roast in the fridge with a coating of red osier beef marinade to add even more beef flavor.

Christmas Day will be at Son's to open watch him open presents.  Dinner will be a mystery as it changes and she is not a skilled cook.

• Like 2

Growing up, Christmas Eve was at my grandparent's house. After my grandmother passed away my grandfather continued it at his house... except there were a few problems with that. First, he got rid of all the plates, cookware, silverware, serving dishes and utensils and disconnected the second stove. It took me a few years, but I wore him down and he let me have it at our house. I've hosted Wigilia for almost 15 years now. I've Americanized the menu, and Hubby does most of the cooking :dance2:  but it is still meatless. 

Christmas Day was always at my parent's house. A few years back they decided they would rather take us all to dinner, so we have done that for a good 10+ years. In light of King Cuomo's Erie County restrictions, my brother (well, my SIL) is cooking Christmas Day dinner this year.   I think they are doing surf and turf, and after all the fish and seafood of Christmas Eve... let's just say I am very glad I have low cholesterol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Growing up, Christmas Eve was at my grandparent's house. After my grandmother passed away my grandfather continued it at his house... except there were a few problems with that. First, he got rid of all the plates, cookware, silverware, serving dishes and utensils and disconnected the second stove. It took me a few years, but I wore him down and he let me have it at our house. I've hosted Wigilia for almost 15 years now. I've Americanized the menu, and Hubby does most of the cooking :dance2:  but it is still meatless. 

Christmas Day was always at my parent's house. A few years back they decided they would rather take us all to dinner, so we have done that for a good 10+ years. In light of King Cuomo's Erie County restrictions, my brother (well, my SIL) is cooking Christmas Day dinner this year.   I think they are doing surf and turf, and after all the fish and seafood of Christmas Eve... let's just say I am very glad I have low cholesterol. 

TIL.  Had never heard of Wigilia.  

But Christmas Eve at the farm (aka Grandma's house) was always pierogis, kielbasa, polish sausage, (am sure you are well aware,, but for the rest here, no, the 2 are not the same) & Christmas cookies.  A whole bunch of other snacks, too.  Oh, and beer & booze.  (Goes w/out saying.  😉 )

Edited by Taro T
  • Like 1

Never had a Christmas Eve dinner tradition in my family. One of my sisters married an Italian man and they had a large family that would have huge C. E. seven fish dinners. We never got an invite. 😟

But for the past dozen or more years My wife has made Beef Wellington following Julia Child’s recipe. It is epic. This year it’s just the two of us and she’s making it though it will be smaller. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

• Like 2

It was just the wife and me today. We had a beef tenderloin roast in the sous vide and it was fantastic. I never thought I’d be making a high quality Christmas dinner. 

• Like 3

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

I usually do either a prime rib or a duck.

I couple it with a second protein (ham, turkey, lamb)

Usually a dozen or so sides.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

RochesterRob

In recent years sandwiches and cold salads at the inlaws Christmas Eve.  Back when I was a kid it would be a turkey or sometimes ham dinner with many side dishes.  My mother and her sisters would trade off on hosting.  Excellent food and excellent times back then.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, Taro T said:

Does "Better Off Dead" count as a Christmas movie?

Not the best, but a good movie nonetheless.

Hilarious movie, but seems like it's not available to stream anywhere.