Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 NFL General Manager Openings [Edited: All Positions Filled]

Ann

I gotta admit, I know nothing about the GM searches and who could potentially be poached from the Bills. Any help with that would be appreciated!

This is the current GM search situation in the NFL:

Current NFL General Manager Vacancies

Detroit Lions  ✔️   position filled
Houston Texans ✔️   position filled
Atlanta Falcons ✔️ position filled
Carolina Panthers   ✔️ position filled
Jacksonville Jaguars ✔️  position filled
Denver Broncos   ✔️ position filled

Rumors and Expected Firings:

Washington Redskins are expected to hire a GM  ✔️ position filled

• Cheers 1

...ok great, now some dude is going to interview in Houston for the GM position...

I respect an employer who allows others to seek more gainful employment in almost every case. But this is the NFL and it's very competitive. It's very nature is to compete.

That said, I think it's insane the Pegulas are openly allowing, promoting, and encouraging employees to seek positions outside the team. They need to encourage the best of the best to be a part of this organization and pay them as such. That is what the best employers do. It's clown show to make this place a minor league for front office or playing positions.

for reasons like this I've never been a fan of the Pegula's or the direction of the organization. The GM and football team as a whole I love and support, that is it.

[Old man rant over, stay off my lawn]

20 minutes ago, Boyst said:

...ok great, now some dude is going to interview in Houston for the GM position...

I respect an employer who allows others to seek more gainful employment in almost every case. But this is the NFL and it's very competitive. It's very nature is to compete.

That said, I think it's insane the Pegulas are openly allowing, promoting, and encouraging employees to seek positions outside the team. They need to encourage the best of the best to be a part of this organization and pay them as such. That is what the best employers do. It's clown show to make this place a minor league for front office or playing positions.

for reasons like this I've never been a fan of the Pegula's or the direction of the organization. The GM and football team as a whole I love and support, that is it.

You can pay people all you want but the reality is no personnel director is going to not jump at the chance at a GM position.  It's the biggest job in their field.

Plus if Malik goes somewhere as a GM we get two comp picks.  We all know that comp picks = sooper bowlz!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boyst said:

This is good business.  It will help you attract the best talent.  

The contrast was an article in the Athletic where many *Patriots scouts left because because they were not valued.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boyst said:

The replies are hilarious on why he should not be hired:

1 hour ago, Ann said:

The replies are hilarious on why he should not be hired:

I just looked. This was a gem

"Isn't he a vegan? hates the 2A? thinks everything "bigger" is just a waste? I don't think they'll want him."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Boyst said:

Given the limited number of opportunities for coaches in the NFL, as well as the limited number of prospects to fill those spots successfully, you can rest assured that good people will be pulled for interviews regardless of how a team deals with it.

Which means you have to decide what kind of team you want to be: one that won't openly work to promote staff members or one that will.  Which side of the coin you land on here determines who you will be able to recruit to fill your own open spots.

Lift and encourage wins every time.

32 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Given the limited number of opportunities for coaches in the NFL, as well as the limited number of prospects to fill those spots successfully, you can rest assured that good people will be pulled for interviews regardless of how a team deals with it.

Which means you have to decide what kind of team you want to be: one that won't openly work to promote staff members or one that will.  Which side of the coin you land on here determines who you will be able to recruit to fill your own open spots.

Lift and encourage wins every time.

I know.  But. C'mon. Screw everyone else. I only care about the Bills to win.  I'm tired of seeing our better players go on to success somewhere else from OJ and Ferguson,Joe D on up  Jabari Greer to wyatt Teller.  C'mon. Now we are losing our extra office people? Our mailroom clerk is going to be winning the Vikings a super bowl in 5 years. 

Can we just win one?  

yes I know I'm exaggerating here a little bit I'm just tired of watching everyone win but us.

4 minutes ago, Boyst said:

I know.  But. C'mon. Screw everyone else. I only care about the Bills to win.  I'm tired of seeing our better players go on to success somewhere else from OJ and Ferguson,Joe D on up  Jabari Greer to wyatt Teller.  C'mon. Now we are losing our extra office people? Our mailroom clerk is going to be winning the Vikings a super bowl in 5 years. 

Can we just win one?  

yes I know I'm exaggerating here a little bit I'm just tired of watching everyone win but us.

My point is that everything you note above, exaggerated or otherwise, is essentially going to happen regardless of whether you lift and encourage employees or not. In fact, you have a better chance of keeping people through lift and encourage, because the reality is no matter what industry you are in, people who quit their job rarely do it because of the company. They so it because of their boss.

In the end, I only care if they go to a division rival. I would hate to see Daboll go to Miami or NJ.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

My point is that everything you note above, exaggerated or otherwise, is essentially going to happen regardless of whether you lift and encourage employees or not. In fact, you have a better chance of keeping people through lift and encourage, because the reality is no matter what industry you are in, people who quit their job rarely do it because of the company. They so it because of their boss.

In the end, I only care if they go to a division rival. I would hate to see Daboll go to Miami or NJ.

Its somewhat funny. I'm at the day job now. As management I can see the obvious reason and truly do believe that lift and support with positive encouragement goes further than anything. I turn over 10 people a year at entry level positions alone for better opportunities.

But, jeesh, after work when I just want rings. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Not sure why this happens but it does happen enough that I need to ask this. I can’t see any of your post that I quoted. Was it a tweet? I know sometimes a deleted tweet shows up in an empty message container. 

It’s not any particular poster either. It’s happened a bunch. I’m in the Apple ecosystem so maybe it’s a file type issue. Just curious if anyone has any insight into this. 

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

Not sure why this happens but it does happen enough that I need to ask this. I can’t see any of your post that I quoted. Was it a tweet? I know sometimes a deleted tweet shows up in an empty message container. 

It’s not any particular poster either. It’s happened a bunch. I’m in the Apple ecosystem so maybe it’s a file type issue. Just curious if anyone has any insight into this. 

I went over to good morning football's twitter feed and they deleted it.

1 minute ago, Ann said:

I went over to good morning football's twitter feed and they deleted it.

Ah!  Thanks Ann. I was hoping that was it. 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Ah!  Thanks Ann. I was hoping that was it. 👍

This was it:

From @gmfb
 Weekend on #Browns
 exec Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as a sleeper GM candidate this year. The Princeton grad has spent a lot of time with scouts, both in Cleveland and with the #49ers. He's a well-rounded candidate and could sneak into a few searches.

There is a video at the tweet:

• Cheers 1

The video has a list of others the Lions are interviewing:

Lions eye blockbuster as team plans to pursue Seahawks GM John Schneider

</snip>

Sources say the Lions plan to pursue Seahawks GM John Schneider for their vacant GM opening, a hire that would send shockwaves around the NFL.

</snip>

One of the league's most respected personnel people and managers, Schneider has teamed with head coach Pete Carroll to lead Seattle to two Super Bowls with one win and make the organization a perennial playoff participant. The Seahawks are 111-63-1 in the Carroll-Schneider era and 11-4 this season, winning the NFC West a fifth time.

While it would be unthinkable in any other circumstance for the Lions to be able to lure a decorated GM such as him, Schneider doesn't have primary authority over all personnel decisions in Seattle -- Carroll does. That hasn't really mattered, since Carroll and Schneider are in lockstep, but under the NFL's anti-tampering policy, the Lions or another team could try to interview Schneider if it offered him full control. Another team is also likely going to make a run at Schneider.

While Carroll recently agreed to a contract extension through 2025, Schneider has just one year left on his contract.

</snip>