*Patriots' Game Thoughts

Alaska Darin

1.  Edmunds is terrible.  Go back and watch the *Patriots' TD drive and focus on #49.  You won't see a more pathetic display of linebacking at any level of football.  How on God's green earth is that dude in the Pro Bowl?

2.  WTF play was Ike running on the 2nd Diggs TD?  He pulled and was probably 5 yards from Diggs when the ball was caught.  Uh refs?  Ineligible down field still a penalty?

3.  New England's defensive backs still get away with absolute murder every play.  It's unreal that Trey got called for PI but the ONLY penalty called on NE's defensive backs was on our last TD drive when the score was already 31-9.  FFS.

4.  I hope someone at OBD is compiling a video of all the shots JA has taken to his head the last 2 seasons where no penalty was called and then ending the video with the "roughing" call on Epenesa against Stidham.  Which QB is the future of the league, you morons?

5.  Guess Belichick noticed Gabe Davis on film because they spent most of the game doubling him.  Weird strategy.

6.  I think the most satisfying moment in a night of so many was Diggs holding up 3 fingers while glaring at McCourty/Jackson after his 3rd TD.  Thou shalt not talketh the smacketh at Mr. Diggs.

7.  Most telling stat of the evening:  40 passes, zero passes defensed, one hit on the JA (play resulted in Diggs' long TD).  The BILLS offensive staff had a wicked good night, eh chowds?

8.  Boy is Milano a difference maker.  The first sack of the night was a direct result of Milano's gut rush that made Cam freak and it was one of many plays where Milano's play just pops.  If we're only paying one LBer, it needs to be him.

9.  There's something wrong with Cam's arm.  I have a soft spot for him because he does a lot of charity things off the field, so it's pretty painful to watch him be this bad - even playing for THEM.

10.  While I knew weeks ago we were going to win this game, watching the *Patriots call a trick play on the first drive was very satisfying.  That was so "drought BILLsy".

11.  Watching Jordan Poyer just give himself up to smash Newton was just another of those "there aren't the drought BILLS" moments in a season filled with them.

12.  Sometimes our run defense makes zero sense.  The first long run of the game we were in a PERFECT defense and two players bolted immediately to where the ball was going, only to run RIGHT into the pulling blockers.  WTF?

13.  Taron Johnson quietly had another good, physical game.

14.  Josh really threw 5 TDs in this game but had two dropped on the Moss TD drive.  I don't know if he heard about Belichick's comments about him but he sure played like he did.

15.  You know it's a good night when the Monday Night staff is spending the last quarter trying to figure out how to make your opponent's roster even remotely competitive in the future.  I don't care how much cap you have, you're not doing shit without figuring out QB.

16.  People keep talking about "the passing of the torch."  (Said in my best "Rock" voice:) The BILLS ripped it away, shined it up real nice, and shoved it right up the *Patriots' candy asses.  It was breathtaking.

• Like 4
  • FANtastic 2

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

1.  Edmunds is terrible.  Go back and watch the **Patriots' TD drive and focus on #49.  You won't see a more pathetic display of linebacking at any level of football.  How on God's green earth is that dude in the Pro Bowl?

2.  WTF play was Ike running on the 2nd Diggs TD?  He pulled and was probably 5 yards from Diggs when the ball was caught.  Uh refs?  Ineligible down field still a penalty?

3.  New England's defensive backs still get away with absolute murder every play.  It's unreal that Trey got called for PI but the ONLY penalty called on NE's defensive backs was on our last TD drive when the score was already 31-9.  FFS.

4.  I hope someone at OBD is compiling a video of all the shots JA has taken to his head the last 2 seasons where no penalty was called and then ending the video with the "roughing" call on Epenesa against Stidham.  Which QB is the future of the league, you morons?

5.  Guess Belichick noticed Gabe Davis on film because they spent most of the game doubling him.  Weird strategy.

6.  I think the most satisfying moment in a night of so many was Diggs holding up 3 fingers while glaring at McCourty/Jackson after his 3rd TD.  Thou shalt not talketh the smacketh at Mr. Diggs.

7.  Most telling stat of the evening:  40 passes, zero passes defensed, one hit on the JA (play resulted in Diggs' long TD).  The BILLS offensive staff had a wicked good night, eh chowds?

8.  Boy is Milano a difference maker.  The first sack of the night was a direct result of Milano's gut rush that made Cam freak and it was one of many plays where Milano's play just pops.  If we're only paying one LBer, it needs to be him.

9.  There's something wrong with Cam's arm.  I have a soft spot for him because he does a lot of charity things off the field, so it's pretty painful to watch him be this bad - even playing for THEM.

10.  While I knew weeks ago we were going to win this game, watching the **Patriots call a trick play on the first drive was very satisfying.  That was so "drought BILLsy".

11.  Watching Jordan Poyer just give himself up to smash Newton was just another of those "there aren't the drought BILLS" moments in a season filled with them.

12.  Sometimes our run defense makes zero sense.  The first long run of the game we were in a PERFECT defense and two players bolted immediately to where the ball was going, only to run RIGHT into the pulling blockers.  WTF?

14.  Josh really threw 5 TDs in this game but had two dropped on the Moss TD drive.  I don't know if he heard about Belichick's comments about him but he sure played like he did.

15.  You know it's a good night when the Monday Night staff is spending the last quarter trying to figure out how to make your opponent's roster even remotely competitive in the future.  I don't care how much cap you have, you're not doing shit without figuring out QB.

16.  People keep talking about "the passing of the torch."  (Said in my best "Rock" voice:) The BILLS ripped it away, shined it up real nice, and shoved it right up the **Patriots' candy asses.  It was breathtaking.

I don't know what is up with Edmunds.  Perhaps not fully healed?  As others have said draft a linebacker and move Edmunds to a more natural position for him.

Agreed that though less of an issue this season Allen gets hits that would draw flags else-where.

I know that it is marketing but was nauseated during the last quarter by the MNF booth trying to talk the helpless *Patriots up into a leading contender next season.  Surely, they must realize that anybody west of Pittsfield, MA that jumps the bandwagon when a team has cooled off has moved onto the Chiefs or Saints or given current times the Bills.  The current edition of *Patriots gear will be chomped on by the rats and moths leaving the true NE fans with the red and white "hiking" Pat center gear.

• Like 1

Re 1.

Not defending Edmunds (pun intended), but I wonder if the young guy thought he was going to protect himself from injury early in the game. Then he found out that's not how this works.

13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

1.  Edmunds is terrible.  Go back and watch the **Patriots' TD drive and focus on #49.  You won't see a more pathetic display of linebacking at any level of football.  How on God's green earth is that dude in the Pro Bowl?

10.  While I knew weeks ago we were going to win this game, watching the **Patriots call a trick play on the first drive was very satisfying.  That was so "drought BILLsy".

16.  People keep talking about "the passing of the torch."  (Said in my best "Rock" voice:) The BILLS ripped it away, shined it up real nice, and shoved it right up the **Patriots' candy asses.  It was breathtaking.

4. They need to do this. And that RTP on Stidham was :classic_blink:

6. :classic_laugh:

8. Yes. If he could stay healthy, I'd say pay him.

9. Yes. Cam is probably done. I am not even certain a team will take him as a back-up.

15. I hope the *Patriots live in the Bills 17-year-hell... and beyond.

16. The *Patriots didn't pass nuthin'. It was pried from the cold, dead hands of Bill Belichick while he was kicking and screaming and throwing phones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Joe said:

Re 1.

Not defending Edmunds (pun intended), but I wonder if the young guy thought he was going to protect himself from injury early in the game. Then he found out that's not how this works.

I stopped watching him after that drive because he was making my blood boil.  I might go back later and see if anything changed. 

1 minute ago, Just Joshin said:

On point 5, they probably thought Jackson could cover Diggs 1 on 1 while taking Davis out with the double team.  Bad strategy indeed.

I think you're correct.  The only quote I remember from halftime was Belichick complaining about how Diggs' long TD "should have been a 10 yard gain."  So that lines up - except Diggs is better in games than he is on film and amps his play up even more when you trigger him.  No one likes him when he's angry.  😄

Something I haven't seen mentioned was the play in which Newton scored. He was partially wrapped up by 97 and it looked like a sure sack. Along came #75 for the cheaters and he actually wrapped his arms around #97 preventing him from completing the sack. It was as obvious of a holding penalty as there could be and the refs blew it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned was the play in which Newton scored. He was partially wrapped up by 97 and it looked like a sure sack. Along came #75 for the cheaters and he actually wrapped his arms around #97 preventing him from completing the sack. It was as obvious of a holding penalty as there could be and the refs blew it. 

Yup...was screaming at the TV on that one.  Typical blatant NE* hold.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

9. Yes. Cam is probably done. I am not even certain a team will take him as a back-up.

He has nearly 1500 career rushes + sacks, and he's always been a very physical rusher.  Given his age and workload, it's not at all surprising he is falling off a cliff.  This guy was never going to age gracefully in pocket like Marsha or Brees.

54 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Oh it was mentioned alright.   Not much talk about it because it was so blatant.  

I loved how both players looked back at the official expecting the flag.  

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Funny you bring this up. I was explaining to my bride how great it was to have the Bills beating the *Patriots SO badly on MNF that the announcers spent the last 15 minutes of game time talking about how bad the *Patriots are.

Suddenly, I'm watching Matt Barkley trying to kill the clock, Stidham trying to out-bounce pass Newton, the announcers trying to fill dead time, and it was some of the best football I've watched in years.

Further to #9, I am not much of a Cam fan, his charities notwithstanding. I was genuinely concerned that Bellicheat would be a hero for resurrecting Cam's career and kicking the AFC East's ass again. But I think there's more to this than just a problem with his arm. I think he is just shot. No pocket awareness, no ability to see downfield, and throws that no starting quarterback should be making. I want him to say with the *Patriots almost as much as I want Gase to keep coaching the Jets.

Lastly, a shout-out to your comment earlier about Tua trying to throw in the NFL vs. college. Some talking head recently backed your comment: the problem with Tua moving forward is he has to understand there is "Alabama open" and there is "NFL open," and if he can't figure out the latter, he'll never be truly successful.

• Like 1

I'm gonna stan for Edmunds here.

This isn't 1990 and the linebacker position doesn't play like it anymore.  The hate for Edmunds from Bills fans right now reminds me of the hate for Kyle Dugger from *Patriots fans.  It ends up boiling down to "he hasn't taken off any heads yet!" which really isn't indicative of success at either position.

Consider first that Edmunds quite obviously spent a significant portion of the year playing injured (as did Milano).  Add that to less than stellar DLine play where a G/T pair gets a free run to the LB level to double the first guy into the hole and the results are predictable.  I'll concede that he sometimes fails to shed a 1v1 block, but on the other hand if an NFL center or guard gets a free run at you it becomes a matter of action vs. reaction and even the best linebackers are gonna be a step behind.

Consider second that "following a player" will not tell you everything about said player and his roles/responsibilities. Star, for example, took a lot of heat last year and this year he's out with a HUGE DL regression and suddenly it's "well huh maybe he did something after all."  When Edmunds shoots a gap I absolutely guarantee it's the gap he was responsible for (though teams rarely run at his gap).  He's a "process" guy, a McDermott guy all the way through.  This is a gap responsibility defense vs. the run.  There is no free roaming MLB here, in fact the Bills rarely have three linebackers on the field.  LBer responsibilities against the pass in nickel coverage are typically zone in this defense which Edmunds does especially well.

Consider finally that McDermott and Bob Babich probably know a hell of a lot more than we do and Edmunds has been trusted to quarterback a very good defense for three years, with Pro Bowl honors twice.  He has the respect of his coaches and fellow players.  McDermott and co. would rather have him out there injured than the next guy up.

Is he perfect?  No, he's not Luke Kuechly but then how many LBers are?  He disappears sometimes sideline to sideline but overall is a very good player who is very young and continues to trend upward.  Soon we'll see an option and contract extension and lots of hand-wringing over it but ultimately it's good for this defense and for this team.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I'm gonna stan for Edmunds here.

This isn't 1990 and the linebacker position doesn't play like it anymore.  The hate for Edmunds from Bills fans right now reminds me of the hate for Kyle Dugger from **Patriots fans.  It ends up boiling down to "he hasn't taken off any heads yet!" which really isn't indicative of success at either position.

Consider first that Edmunds quite obviously spent a significant portion of the year playing injured (as did Milano).  Add that to less than stellar DLine play where a G/T pair gets a free run to the LB level to double the first guy into the hole and the results are predictable.  I'll concede that he sometimes fails to shed a 1v1 block, but on the other hand if an NFL center or guard gets a free run at you it becomes a matter of action vs. reaction and even the best linebackers are gonna be a step behind.

Consider second that "following a player" will not tell you everything about said player and his roles/responsibilities. Star, for example, took a lot of heat last year and this year he's out with a HUGE DL regression and suddenly it's "well huh maybe he did something after all."  When Edmunds shoots a gap I absolutely guarantee it's the gap he was responsible for (though teams rarely run at his gap).  He's a "process" guy, a McDermott guy all the way through.  This is a gap responsibility defense vs. the run.  There is no free roaming MLB here, in fact the Bills rarely have three linebackers on the field.  LBer responsibilities against the pass in nickel coverage are typically zone in this defense which Edmunds does especially well.

Consider finally that McDermott and Bob Babich probably know a hell of a lot more than we do and Edmunds has been trusted to quarterback a very good defense for three years, with Pro Bowl honors twice.  He has the respect of his coaches and fellow players.  McDermott and co. would rather have him out there injured than the next guy up.

Is he perfect?  No, he's not Luke Kuechly but then how many LBers are?  He disappears sometimes sideline to sideline but overall is a very good player who is very young and continues to trend upward.  Soon we'll see an option and contract extension and lots of hand-wringing over it but ultimately it's good for this defense and for this team.

No.  Literally none of this.  Those are strawman arguments against the point about the TD drive.  Literally the worst LBer play you will ever see.  Period.   I'm tired of excuses.  If you have a gap to fill, then get up there and fill it.  I never once saw Ray Lewis standing there waiting for a guard to drive him 20 yards down the field.  He knew the play, got to his gap, initiated or shed, and either made the play or made sure there was no where to run.  Edmunds only makes plays in the running game when he's completely clean and even then it's about 50/50 that he'll actually make the tackle. 

The argument that McDermott knows more than we do is silly.  He has little choice based on the roster.  The BILLS have pretty much zero experienced linebacker depth.   It was by far the team's biggest achillies heel coming into the season and it's been exposed further by Milano's injury and Klein's inexperience in this defense.  All he can do is keep trotting him out there and praying.

Watch the plays starting at 2:02.  There is no way he was coached to get blown 20 yards off the ball, then take completely the wrong angle right into the oncoming blocker, then get faked out of his shoes when Cam is lumbering towards him.

Dude is in his third year in the same defense and he still does a VERY poor job in the run game for all of the same reasons.  He may not be Luke Kuechly but they were drafted using almost the same draft capital.  Mark my words, if we play the Colts, Flaming Thumbtacks, or Chiefs, the offense better be on fire because Edmunds is going to be exposed.

Play at 2:02, Edmunds is attempting to make up for the fact that the outside is completely open to the RB if he wants it.  He contains it, RB cuts back inside and the safety fails to make the play.

Play at 2:11, Edmunds plays his gap and the run is away from him, into Milano's (speaking of getting blown off the ball) gap that he failed to plug.

Cam TD, plays his zone, keeps Cam inside when the plays busts and looks a little silly doing so 1v1 vs running Cam. 

Like I said, gonna be a lot of hand-wringing when he's extended 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Play at 2:11, Edmunds plays his gap and the run is away from him, into Milano's (speaking of getting blown off the ball) gap that he failed to plug.

Your "playing his gap" is my "standing within a step of your starting position waiting for the onrushing guard to take you completely out of the play."  All he had to do was come forward with authority. 

Edmunds still has no instinct for the run game and he's nowhere near physical enough at the point of attack on a team that regularly only plays 2 linebackers.

In the salary cap era, big money mistakes are magnified.  If Edmunds gets extended for significant dollars, Beane and company better be right. 

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

No.  Literally none of this.  Those are strawman arguments against the point about the TD drive.  Literally the worst LBer play you will ever see.  Period.   I'm tired of excuses.  If you have a gap to fill, then get up there and fill it.  I never once saw Ray Lewis standing there waiting for a guard to drive him 20 yards down the field.  He knew the play, got to his gap, initiated or shed, and either made the play or made sure there was no where to run.  Edmunds only makes plays in the running game when he's completely clean and even then it's about 50/50 that he'll actually make the tackle. 

The argument that McDermott knows more than we do is silly.  He has little choice based on the roster.  The BILLS have pretty much zero experienced linebacker depth.   It was by far the team's biggest achillies heel coming into the season and it's been exposed further by Milano's injury and Klein's inexperience in this defense.  All he can do is keep trotting him out there and praying.

Watch the plays starting at 2:02.  There is no way he was coached to get blown 20 yards off the ball, then take completely the wrong angle right into the oncoming blocker, then get faked out of his shoes when Cam is lumbering towards him.

Dude is in his third year in the same defense and he still does a VERY poor job in the run game for all of the same reasons.  He may not be Luke Kuechly but they were drafted using almost the same draft capital.  Mark my words, if we play the Colts, Flaming Thumbtacks, or Chiefs, the offense better be on fire because Edmunds is going to be exposed.

I've yelled at the TV more than once when I see Edmunds over pursue or fail to make a clean tackle.

Stats wise he's the best linebacker with 110 tackles 72 solos.  AJ Klein probably would be first if he had played as many games as Edmunds.  Poyer is first with 122 tackles 90 solos.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/stats/#scroll-defense