Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Corey Bojorquez

Ann

I remember when the punter was the #1 player on our team (thanks Moorman!) This year, the Bills punter barely qualified for the leader board after 17 games.

Anyhooo... This team has been clicking, so punting has been down.  Today, he punted a few times and qualified for league leader.  Good to know he can punt the Bills out of a jam if they need him to do so.

NFL Punt Stats

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/1345923229773406210

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 2

10 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

He's got a leg.  Wouldn't call him a finesse kicker but today he had some good kicks to put Miami deep in their own end. 

Thought he'd had one of his "Bojorquez Specials" bouncing into the end zone on the punt that went out on the 1/2 yard line.   When the official didn't start waving just 1 arm over his head was pumped.

He still needs to get more consistent, but he definitely has a cannon for a leg.

He's had a very good year.   The only complaint is touchback, and today is a good example --- hard to blame a guy for a touchback on a 57 yard punt.

He’s been incredible this year. It’s kind of shocking. There was a time when he was consistently being criticized as one of the worst punters in football. Kudos to him for working hard and to the staff for being patient with him. 

Alaska Darin
13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thought he'd had one of his "Bojorquez Specials" bouncing into the end zone on the punt that went out on the 1/2 yard line.   When the official didn't start waving just 1 arm over his head was pumped.

He still needs to get more consistent, but he definitely has a cannon for a leg.

How can you become more consistent when you punt less than 3 times per game?  Pretty good problem to have.

Yesterday was a friggin' punt clinic.  2 punts.  One went out of bounds at the .5 yard line and the other was a 60 yard net. 

In a season full of mea culpas, I'll offer another to Heath Farwell. 

I was livid that McDermott essentially used 2019 as Farwell's on-the-job training period, and Bills easily lost 2-3 games to ST miscues last year.   He surely turned that around in 2020, exemplified by the fake punt Vs Pastsies*.   Great job all around for the unit this year.

9 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

How can you become more consistent when you punt less than 3 times per game?  Pretty good problem to have.

Yesterday was a friggin' punt clinic.  2 punts.  One went out of bounds at the .5 yard line and the other was a 60 yard net. 

2 punts?  The Bills punted 4 times.  One that went into the EZ had a 49 yard net.  Not sure which kick had a 60 yard net.

He's been very good this year, but still expect the classic 19 yard shank at the worst time.  Those have been reduced but not eliminated.

Alaska Darin
3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

2 punts?  The Bills punted 4 times.  One that went into the EZ had a 49 yard net.  Not sure which kick had a 60 yard net.

He's been very good this year, but still expect the classic 19 yard shank at the worst time.  Those have been reduced but not eliminated.

I had to go back and look.  I honestly forgot the first punt (endzone).

The last punt was 67 yards.  I thought I remembered them saying 7 yard return, so 60 yard net.  Stats say 12 yard return, so 55 yard net.

I'll take that day punting all day long.  All punters shank punts.  They're human beings.  Bojo is pretty damn good and getting better, even though we rarely see him. 

18 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I had to go back and look.  I honestly forgot the first punt (endzone).

The last punt was 67 yards.  I thought I remembered them saying 7 yard return, so 60 yard net.  Stats say 12 yard return, so 55 yard net.

I'll take that day punting all day long.  All punters shank punts.  They're human beings.  Bojo is pretty damn good and getting better, even though we rarely see him. 

Bojorquez has punted well this year and significantly better than he did his 1st 2 years here.  But still am not at the point where my expectation is for that punt to bounce out at the 1/2 yard line.  Expected it to hit the end zone.  Expected the 67 yarder to give up a 32 yard return because the coverage was outkicked; but it hung up there and there was only a 12 yard return.  The 57 yard kick only netted 37 because it bounced through the end zone & don't recall the details on the other one but it went ~45 yards w/ a ~5 yard return - standard fare for this league.

If he keeps up the great kicking through the playoffs, will expect it next year.  But right now, the inconsistency of 1-1/2 seasons is still fresh.

Heck, Bass was scary the 1st 5 or so weeks, but now expect him to nail everything - because since ~ week 8, he has.  (And he finally got the magnets in the ball & the right post removed.)

Edited by Taro T

Alaska Darin

The 4th punt went out of bounds at the 11.  So 2 punts inside the 20, one at the 20, and one with a 57 yard net.

I'm with you because I genuinely despise kickers/punters.  I've mostly stopped questioning this coaching staff because they clearly get it.