Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

We've got threads about GMs and Head Coaches.

There will probably be a lot of QB movement this offseason:

*Patriots

Jets

Colts (maybe)

Jaguars

WFT

Eagles

Lions said to be moving away from Stafford

Saints (Brees is old)

Falcons

49ers rumored to be moving away from Garroppolo

Would the Bills be interested in any of the castoffs as backups?

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Imagine Stafford to the Niners...

I was thinking of him to the *Patriots.

It would be like when we got Bledsoe and he was good for a year but couldn't close the deal.  Fun thing about  the *Patriots future is that we lived it and so it is fun and easy to see what's coming.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
9 minutes ago, snafu said:

I was thinking of him to the **Patriots.

It would be like when we got Bledsoe and he was good for a year but couldn't close the deal.  Fun thing about  the **Patriots future is that we lived it and so it is fun and easy to see what's coming.

I can see it but more as a "hey Drew, we signed a buncha talented skill guys and drafted some more, wanna give it a go?"

Because right now as the rosters are constructed there's no way I go anywhere near New England, especially if the Niners are in play.  SF has a clearly superior roster on the offensive side of the football and a very good defense to go with it.  Being compared to Marsha while throwing to a buncha nobodies doesn't seem nearly as appealing, good OLine not withstanding.

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I can see it but more as a "hey Drew, we signed a buncha talented skill guys and drafted some more, wanna give it a go?"

Because right now as the rosters are constructed there's no way I go anywhere near New England, especially if the Niners are in play.  SF has a clearly superior roster on the offensive side of the football and a very good defense to go with it.  Being compared to Marsha while throwing to a buncha nobodies doesn't seem nearly as appealing, good OLine not withstanding.

Honestly, I see the *Patriots being a 7-8 win team for a long time.

That said, this is the offseason they can sell themselves to a QB.  They will get two of their best defenders and their starting OTackle back from opt-out so they won't have to waste draft capital or cap space on Defense. It isn't really a horrible job to go to in that light.

18 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think the way for NE* to bring in Stafford is to have a young potential star behind him to learn. Counting on Stafford mostly to get you to the next level doesn't strike me as a sound idea.

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I think the way for NE* to bring in Stafford is to have a young potential star behind him to learn. Counting on Stafford mostly to get you to the next level doesn't strike me as a sound idea.

But why would Stafford want to play there?   Even a ton of money shouldn't get him to New England if SF is interested and willing to give him a fair deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

But why would Stafford want to play there?   Even a ton of money shouldn't get him to New England if SF is interested and willing to give him a fair deal. 

Oh, I absolutely agree with you...it's no place for Stafford. I was just saying that Stafford is no QB for NE* right now because it's not like they're just a good QB away from making a run.

(1) it isn't the Lions.

(2) At this point I think Stafford is a second-tier guy who may not get a lot of looks right away.

(3) Stafford has only a couple useful years left, and the *Patriots may actually be able to bob back up over .500 for the next couple years.

Alaska Darin
10 minutes ago, snafu said:

(1) it isn't the Lions.

(2) At this point I think Stafford is a second-tier guy who may not get a lot of looks right away.

(3) Stafford has only a couple useful years left, and the **Patriots may actually be able to bob back up over .500 for the next couple years.

1.  Stafford didn't like Patricia. 

2.  I don't agree.  I think Stafford is still a very good QB and would be exactly what the Niners need to get back to relevance. 

3.  I don't see him in New England unless there isn't anything better.

• Cheers 1

BuffaloHokie13

I think Jimmy goes back to the *Patriots* and Wentz ends up in SF. I think Stafford stays in Detroit, but if he moves I'm thinking a return to Georgia with the Falcons or a trip to Jacksonville. Could also see Matt Ryan going back to Boston. 

Panthers are probably also in the running for a new qb as teddy has been less than impressive. 

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think Jimmy goes back to the **Patriots* and Wentz ends up in SF. I think Stafford stays in Detroit, but if he moves I'm thinking a return to Georgia with the Falcons or a trip to Jacksonville. Could also see Matt Ryan going back to Boston. 

Panthers are probably also in the running for a new qb as teddy has been less than impressive. 

Boy, the Eagles are going to eat a lot of money to move Wentz.  I'm not sure he's moveable with those cap numbers.

• Like 1

BuffaloHokie13

Boy, the Eagles are going to eat a lot of money to move Wentz.  I'm not sure he's moveable with those cap numbers.

A trade before 6/1 is a minimal savings of 850k, post 6/1 the savings is 25.4M, pushing the dead cap to 2022. The 24.5M dead cap in 2022 is the same as it would be if they waited. I think they rip off the bandaid.

• Like 2

BuffaloHokie13
2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, he hasn't had a great season...except in as much as he's playing football at all, after that injury.

And he's not even in the discussion for comeback player of the year.  

I don't know their outs, but I don't think he did enough to keep the 22M per year salary.

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

A trade before 6/1 is a minimal savings of 850k, post 6/1 the savings is 25.4M, pushing the dead cap to 2022. The 24.5M dead cap in 2022 is the same as it would be if they waited. I think they rip off the bandaid.

You might be right - I didn't really look deep into it except the long term dead cap.  I'm curious if anyone will pay him anything more than "prove it" money.

BuffaloHokie13

You might be right - I didn't really look deep into it except the long term dead cap.  I'm curious if anyone will pay him anything more than "prove it" money.

If I recall, Kyle Shanahan liked him a lot coming out. Otherwise probably more of a mid tier deal like Jacksonville to compete with the #1 pick. Who knows though. Last year TeddyB got $22M per year and Winston and Cam signed for $1M...

Buffalo Timmy

Matt Ryan is who ends up in SF, with Shanahan he was great and he has 4 more good years likely. I would also bet on Jimmy G ending up back in NE unless the money is the issue. Stafford I could definitely see on NYJ as a mentor because if he is good he knows he can stick.

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

Is there any team right now that could benefit from plugging in one of these QBs, and immediately be a playoff contender?

I can see Stafford or Ryan making the Niners or Cowboys contenders again.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

If San Francisco has truly turned the page on Garoppolo, and successfully courts Stafford, I think you’ll see Jimmy back to New England.

Belichick never wanted to move on from him in the first place.

• Like 3