Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

You Dirty Rat

Alaska Darin
Just now, Ann said:

It has to be tough to not want to be an NFL HC. You've worked your whole life to get one of 32 jobs available in the world. Yeah, you have no life, but I cannot imagine the OC or DC have a lot of free time either.

I'm not saying he doesn't want it...I don't know either way.  But not everyone wants that level of spotlight, either.  A lot of the things Daboll appears to enjoy (personal interaction with players, intricate scheming, etc.) aren't things really effective HCs get to do regularly. 

Being the CEO is rarely as much fun as running a division. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not saying he doesn't want it...I don't know either way.  But not everyone wants that level of spotlight, either.  A lot of the things Daboll appears to enjoy (personal interaction with players, intricate scheming, etc.) aren't things really effective HCs get to do regularly. 

Being the CEO is rarely as much fun as running a division. 

I agree with all of that.  And the Jets? Hard pass unless something big changes there.

But the LA job? I could see it... except how much hands-on would he actually have with Herbert as the HC? It would certainly be tempting, however.

And Jacksonville? Except for the owner and not knowing the GM 😛 that would be attractive too with Lawrence and a ton of cash.

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Ann said:

I agree with all of that.  And the Jets? Hard pass unless something big changes there.

But the LA job? I could see it... except how much hands-on would he actually have with Herbert as the HC? It would certainly be tempting, however.
And Jacksonville? Except for the owner and not knowing the GM 😛 that would be attractive too with Lawrence and a ton of cash.

I will be very surprised if Meyer isn't hired in Jax.  If he really wants the job, he's getting it.  I don't know how good he'll be as an NFL guy because his biggest advantage in college was recruiting (Florida through OSU).  He won't have that advantage in the NFL.

I agree though.  The possibility of Lawrence there would be attractive to a guy like Daboll.   That team has a lot of holes to fill now (thanks Dougie!).

I am beginning to think Daboll does not get a HC position, especially if the Bills make a deep run in the playoffs.

So there are 6 positions open.

Urban Mayer get Jacksonville.

Bieniemy and Saleh get 2 of the positions.  They are hot, diverse candidates that have a draft pick bonus.

A retread coach (Lynn, Bowles?) and a college coach will be hired based on previous cycles.

So that leaves the OC pool at Smith, Marsha and Daboll.  It means one open spot to get the right fit with 3 similar applicants.  Reduces the chances significantly.

That said, I expect that he is gone as he has a longer resume than Smith/Marsha but the chances he misses out this year are higher than I was thinking.

1 hour ago, Just Joshin said:

I am beginning to think Daboll does not get a HC position, especially if the Bills make a deep run in the playoffs.

Daboll's biggest challenge right now is that he's white.

The NFL has been pretty vocal this year about promoting more coaches of color, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the league that pressed teams to draft the first openly gay football player would likewise press teams to ensure they hire coaches of color. 

In fact, I'm kind of surprised you don't hear Frazier's name more. But (Sleeping with) Bienemy, Saleh, Smith, Bowles get the edge right now, and when the hiring is all done, look for the NFL to promote all the coaches of color who were hired.

Alaska Darin
18 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Daboll's biggest challenge right now is that he's white.

The NFL has been pretty vocal this year about promoting more coaches of color, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the league that pressed teams to draft the first openly gay football player would likewise press teams to ensure they hire coaches of color. 

In fact, I'm kind of surprised you don't hear Frazier's name more. But (Sleeping with) Bienemy, Saleh, Smith, Bowles get the edge right now, and when the hiring is all done, look for the NFL to promote all the coaches of color who were hired.

Frazier's age and previous tenure really work against him now.

BuffaloHokie13

Rumors swirling that Daboll is the front-runner for the Houston HC opening since he came up in the *Patriots organization with Caserio who Houston just hired. I'm going to look into the potential options for OC's out of curiosity. One that comes to mind is Todd Haley. Either way, we are probably the most attractive landing spot for an OC with Allen and all the weapons.

• Like 1

Buffalo Timmy

I am assuming he is gonna be the top pick of several franchises seeing as what Buffalo and Josh has done. If I am him I choose Chargers or Jax if I get say in GM, and definitely no to Jets and Houston dysfunction. Every other team is depends on details. It is nice to make these choices for him.🤓