Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BuffaloHokie13

BuffaloHokie13

What a year and holy cow what do we have to look forward to!?! If you'd like to review my previous iteration at the halfway mark, that can be found here

To cover the usual FAQ's

- All stats are entered manually on a week by week basis by me, so if you see an obvious error please let me know. It is much appreciated!

- The final column, which the sheets are sorted by, is my efficiency ratings. The stat and formula are my own. It is not ESPN's garbage QBR stat.

- Due to the NFL season being 17 weeks, I have factored bye weeks into my quarters.

- Yards per Touch is net yards (Pass + Rush - Sack) divided by total attempts (Pass + Rush + Sacks)

- Fumbles refers specifically to fumbles lost, as I specifically track them to account for total turnovers.

- Click on the image for a larger version. There's a lot there to digest, I know.

Allen pretty much led the way throughout the second half of the season, finishing 2nd in Q3 and 1st in Q4, and ultimately winding up in 2nd for the overall season. Efficiency-wise he was outperformed by Rodgers (Yards per Touch, TD%, and TO% were all in favor of Rodgers), but Allen finished with a higher score due to his higher attempts per game which is an effort to quantify how much a team relies on their QB to make plays. Anyway, without further ado

Q3:

spacer.png

Q4:

spacer.png

2020 Season:

spacer.png

I also decided to do some 2020 Split breakdowns to better analyze where Josh was MVP caliber, and where he may have struggled. It would appear that Josh is at his best at the end of halves, and an absolute monster in the Red Zone (33 TDs, 2 TOs, 111.1 Passer Rating) - Splits say 32 because they do not include the receiving TD.

spacer.png

So what do you guys (and gals) think? Any major gripes with the final standings? For anyone who may have difficulty with the images I've got the top 10 as Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Marsha, Watson, Tannehill, Herbert, Wilson, Murray, and Brees. As far as the rest of our division, Fitz came in at 18, Cam at 28, Tua at 29, and Darnold at 33/33. The intent of this metric was to create a stat that more closely matches the eye test, so your feedback is always welcome in achieving that goal. Love you all and Go Bills!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Caught error in Allen's sack yards & splits and missed a game for Tua
  • FANtastic 9

Great effort BH13. It’s nice to see the league leaders and how Josh stacks up against them. This kind of success is unheard of for a Buffalo Bills quarterback. I’m lovin’ it. 

• Like 1

leh-nerd skin-erd

I was a radio broadcast guy back in college and we had to do a 10 minute project on a given subject senior year.  One guy critiqued my project harshly because he didn’t like my opening of 5 or 6 declarations.  I thought he was kind of a douche for doing so, especially since he went out of his way to create a 70s style radio voice/personna that  I found aggravating and completely unnatural.  Half the time he sounded like he was...well there are ladies present so I’ll leave it at he sounded out of breath.   Anyway, he always wanted to raise his hand to be heard, and I swore I would never tear down another person in some sort of weird “look at me!!!” narcissistic pud party of one. 

Now that this is established, my one critique is that I personally would have explored the full pallet of pastels intra-cell in an attempt to reduce the inherent sensory conflict between the analytic and creative.  

Other than that dude you killed this! Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
I don’t know diff between edit and quote.
  • Haha 1

Hitbyaparkedcar

What a great job you did there Hokie. Math hurts, though I can understand it well enough when I want to 😁. You've proven with numbers what we already know with our eyes, Josh is special, in a special kinda way...

BuffaloHokie13
14 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was a radio broadcast guy back in college and we had to do a 10 minute project on a given subject senior year.  One guy critiqued my project harshly because he didn’t like my opening of 5 or 6 declarations.  I thought he was kind of a douche for doing so, especially since he went out of his way to create a 70s style radio voice/personna that  I found aggravating and completely unnatural.  Half the time he sounded like he was...well there are ladies present so I’ll leave it at he sounded out of breath.   Anyway, he always wanted to raise his hand to be heard, and I swore I would never tear down another person in some sort of weird “look at me!!!” narcissistic pud party of one. 

Now that this is established, my one critique is that I personally would have explored the full pallet of pastels intra-cell in an attempt to reduce the inherent sensory conflict between the analytic and creative.  

Other than that dude you killed this! Thanks. 

I just use the default color scale function because I'm lazy. Certainly open to toying with alternative presentations if you have suggestions! The thing I dislike most about it is how dense I know it is lol.

leh-nerd skin-erd
36 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I just use the default color scale function because I'm lazy. Certainly open to toying with alternative presentations if you have suggestions! The thing I dislike most about it is how dense I know it is lol.

It’s very good BH. I’m not an analytical guy but I think your approach is very cool.  Now that you’ve called me out on color selections I must admit I have no idea how to create an excel spreadsheet at all.  The whole thing was a sham and my world has collapsed around me. I’m like Hilary Baldwin being called out for being a fake Spaniard.  

• Haha 2