Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Potential OC Candidates (Just in case)

BuffaloHokie13

BuffaloHokie13

With rumors swirling about Daboll in Houston, and him being a pretty hot name I figured it was worth taking a look at some potential replacements, just in case. Hopefully this thread curses Daboll and he comes back, making this a complete waste of time!

With the pieces we have in place on offense, I think Buffalo OC might be the most attractive non-HC opening (if it opens).

One option could be to promote Ken Dorsey from within. As far as I know, he has not had play calling responsibilities before, but he played QB and he's been a QB coach since 2013. He's obviously worked with Josh firsthand. 

Todd Haley is currently the OC for Riverview High School. He's certainly got a fiery, maybe prickly, personality, but he has a good history as a coordinator and the experience with Big Ben may be translatable.

A college option to consider is Graham Harrell. Similar to Kingsbury, Harrell was an Air Raid QB under Mike Leach. He's been the OC at USC for the past 2 years and could be an up & comer choice.

Now to those on NFL staffs that are known to be in transition. 

Darrell Bevell was the OC in Detroit and was the OC for the Seahawks during their more dominant run in the early Wilson days. Worked with Favre and Rodgers in his rookie year.

Pep Hamilton was a hot name a few years back. He spent last year as the Chargers QB coach, but became a popular name as Indy's OC in Luck's early years.

Dirk Koetter was Atlanta's OC for the past 2 years and has led some very productive offenses throughout his career. Not a good HC in his limited stint, but we already have one of those!

Speaking of failed HC's, Jay Gruden was Jacksonville's OC last year. He's a name and has had moderate success as an OC with Andy Dalton as his QB.

Tim Kelly has been working his way up in Houston since 2014, and has served as their OC the past 2 years. Watson has gone on record as wanting to keep Kelly on staff and credits him with taking his game to "a whole another level". This year Watson had career highs in TDs, YPA, YPC and Completion % with a career low in INTs. Kelly served as OC and QB coach this year.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Bolded the options for the TL:DR crowd
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

BuffaloHokie13
Just now, Ann said:

Chan Gailey is available... :runaway:

I usually take 'resigned' as not wanting to do it anymore. Or at least wanting a break. But I also assume this is a joke 😁

• Haha 1

I am thinking the new OC must:

1.  Be aggressive with play calls

2.  Be relatable to Allen, build the trust

3.  Run the erhardt-perkins offense

4.  Be willing to build on current playbook, not force a change to a new system

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, Ann said:

Chan Gailey is available... :runaway:

I'd honestly love to see Chan OC a team with good players.  When Fredex was healthy, our offense looked very good despite having to rely on the Donald Joneses and Scott friggin' Chandlers.

• Like 3

RochesterRob
19 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'd honestly love to see Chan OC a team with good players.  When Fredex was healthy, our offense looked very good despite having to rely on the Donald Joneses and Scott friggin' Chandlers.

Honestly, I think Chan gets a lot of disrespect because he does not look like a GQ cover subject and does not hit the weight room daily.  We could do a lot worse than Chan.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Honestly, I think Chan gets a lot of disrespect because he does not look like a GQ cover subject and does not hit the weight room daily.  We could do a lot worse than Chan.

OCs get way to much rail from the loudest fans.  Daboll has been GREAT since he's been in Buffalo but we just weren't good/experienced enough to execute.  The plays have been there. 

Chan did a ton with not much.  He made CJ Spiller look like a serviceable NFL back despite his complete allergy to physical contact.  That was no easy feat.  You're probably right that his "sitcom grandpa" look probably plays into it as much as anything else.  I remember BILLS' fans wanting to run Roman out of town and he was friggin' amazing given the "talent" he had to work with.

• Like 1

Gotta get the word out about Daboll and why he’s not suited to be a HC elsewhere. 
He hates cats

He hates dogs

He hates babies

He hates people

He picks his nose in meetings and eats it

He drinks gin for breakfast 

He randomly cries for no apparent reason 

He calls for Uber and Lyft simultaneously to take him to his car that he forgot where he parked 
He doesn’t call his mother on her birthday 

He smokes 10 packs of Camels a day and throws the buts on the rug

• Like 1

leh-nerd skin-erd
8 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

#We are Chan. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Gotta get the word out about Daboll and why he’s not suited to be a HC elsewhere. 
He hates cats

He hates dogs

He hates babies

He hates people

He picks his nose in meetings and eats it

He drinks gin for breakfast 

He randomly cries for no apparent reason 

He calls for Uber and Lyft simultaneously to take him to his car that he forgot where he parked 
He doesn’t call his mother on her birthday 

He smokes 10 packs of Camels a day and throws the buts on the rug

Fire him today!

18 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

hey, put some respect on David Nelsons name!

11 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Continuity. Therefore, Dorsey has my vote.

seems obvious to me...has anyone heard if he is ready and if he wants the job?

35 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

seems obvious to me...has anyone heard if he is ready and if he wants the job?

I don't know.  He certainly has embraced the whole Grateful Dead covid look in that Josh video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

...seems obvious to me...has anyone heard if he is ready and if he wants the job?

Wasn't it said when he was hired that he was being groomed in case Daboll got an HC job?

Billsfan1959
On 1/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think my favorites, in order, are: Bevell, Kelly, and Harrell.

I like Kelly and then Harrell. I also trust Beane and McDermott if they feel Dorsey is the answer. Allen is much more cerebral on the field than many people thought he would be, and I wonder how much that goes into the equation of whether or not they promote from within? 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:29 AM, Billsfan1959 said:

I like Kelly and then Harrell. I also trust Beane and McDermott if they feel Dorsey is the answer. Allen is much more cerebral on the field than many people thought he would be, and I wonder how much that goes into the equation of whether or not they promote from within? 

Allen reminds me of Peyton before the snap. He's very vocal and animated. I can almost hear him call out, "Omaha! Omaha! Omaha!" some times. :stirthepot:

• Like 1