Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

Watched Dennis Villneueva's Dune last night.  It was okay. Not sure how any less of a plot could be done in two and a half hours but he managed it.

It also might just be possible that my perceptions have become somewhat jaded due to much of the crap that has been churned out of late. Not really sure what the last motion picture was that I watched and thought, 'wow, that was pretty good.'

I think it was more of an, 'experience' than anything.

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 10/24/2021 at 3:15 PM, Foxx said:

Watched Dennis Villneueva's Dune last night.  It was okay. Not sure how any less of a plot could be done in two and a half hours but he managed it.

It also might just be possible that my perceptions have become somewhat jaded due to much of the crap that has been churned out of late. Not really sure what the last motion picture was that I watched and thought, 'wow, that was pretty good.'

I think it was more of an, 'experience' than anything.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm already disappointed in it, just hearing they took out Feyd-Rautha. 

I mean...I get it.  His subplot (of being a failed Kwisatz Haderach, and heir to the Harkonnen barony) wasn't truly integral to the main plot.  But it's no minor subplot in the book, either, and part of what makes the book such a rich piece of literature.  It's just one of the reasons you can't truly make a Dune movie that stays faithful to the book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm already disappointed in it, just hearing they took out Feyd-Rautha. 

I mean...I get it.  His subplot (of being a failed Kwisatz Haderach, and heir to the Harkonnen barony) wasn't truly integral to the main plot.  But it's no minor subplot in the book, either, and part of what makes the book such a rich piece of literature.  It's just one of the reasons you can't truly make a Dune movie that stays faithful to the book. 

Supposedly, Feyd-Rautha will be in part two.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure it was Chadwick Boseman's last movie, but 21 Bridges was really good even though he was scrawny as heck.

Darn shame he couldn't beat the cancer.  He was really good. 

Apple TV - The Fight Before Christmas

It's a documentary. 

You'll side with the guy first, but within half an hour you'll be on the side of the HOA.

The Wheel of Time on Amazon. I have read the book series all the way through three times and expected to hate it. I am really enjoying how they brought it life, despite the changes they've made.

Brief story...

As a kid in his early teens in the 70s, my father suffered from cluster headaches and before we discovered that breathing from an oxygen tank helped, I would spend hours upon hours giving him hot and cold compresses through the night to alleviate the pain. He always had me put one of his three Tony Bennett 8-tracks in the player, and they would go on and on through the night until he finally fell asleep.

Unsurprisingly, I came to love Tony Bennett in my later years, and was blessed enough to see him in concert twice, including at the House of Blues in LA, where I sat at the bar watching him like it was the 50s.

His final concert just aired, featuring Lady Gaga. He used to travel with KD Lang. He just loved a great voice that could sing standards.

If you can see the concert, it's absolutely worth it because at 95, his voice is still incredible. Unfortunately, Lady Gaga, who also has an amazing voice, turned into a bad mix of Liza Minelli and Barbra Streisand, but don't let it deter you. Watch the special. Bennett has no idea where he is most days, but he knows what's going on when he's on stage and it's terrific.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, LB3 said:

The Wheel of Time on Amazon. I have read the book series all the way through three times and expected to hate it. I am really enjoying how they brought it life, despite the changes they've made.

I binged the first four episodes out of I believe eight, with the remaining four to drop weekly.

Worth watching, but not something like The Expanse or Book of Boba Fett where I'm making time to watch each week.

23 minutes ago, devnull said:

I binged the first four episodes out of I believe eight, with the remaining four to drop weekly.

Worth watching, but not something like The Expanse or Book of Boba Fett where I'm making time to watch each week.

I need to look into The Expanse. I've heard good things.

• Like 1

Beer__League__Hockey
On 11/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, Just Jack said:

Apple TV - The Fight Before Christmas

It's a documentary. 

You'll side with the guy first, but within half an hour you'll be on the side of the HOA.

Thanks! Holy crap that escalated quickly! 🙂 

Deranged Rhino

I had never read any of these books until last year, but they grew on me as I went along. I have higher hopes for this than the Cruise movies. For one, they cast a guy who actually has the build/attitude of Reacher in the books. And Child's books were always better suited for a serialized/weekly format rather than one 2 hour movie. This looks like they're starting with the first book, but giving us some (at least one) character from later books (I'm guessing that the woman who is talking to him in the park is Neagley who doesn't show up in the Killing Floor). It also doesn't look like they're going to do what they did in the Jack Ryan series and completely rework/"modernize" the core characters and their relationships/dynamics. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I had never read any of these books until last year, but they grew on me as I went along. I have higher hopes for this than the Cruise movies. For one, they cast a guy who actually has the build/attitude of Reacher in the books. And Child's books were always better suited for a serialized/weekly format rather than one 2 hour movie. This looks like they're starting with the first book, but giving us some (at least one) character from later books (I'm guessing that the woman who is talking to him in the park is Neagley who doesn't show up in the Killing Floor). It also doesn't look like they're going to do what they did in the Jack Ryan series and completely rework/"modernize" the core characters and their relationships/dynamics. 

I don't know if we will watch, but my husband made the same comment to me that you did here... this guy looks like Jack Reacher, and Tom Cruise... does not. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1