Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm in awe of this - but not in the way the trailer wants me to be. 

"It's how hard you believe" might be one of the best/worst lines in Razzie history.

Indiana Jones and the Vault of Reboots

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"It's how hard you believe" might be one of the best/worst lines in Razzie history.

I am not sure it gets released. How do you film five endings, and the BEST audience rating from that group of five endings is a mere 35%? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, Ann said:

I am not sure it gets released. How do you film five endings, and the BEST audience rating from that group of five endings is a mere 35%? 

The same way Joe Biden becomes President

Shuddup

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 12/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

• Cheers 3

On 12/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, devnull said:

Avenue 5

Takes a few episodes to hit its stride, but worthy of a binge

"Matt, these people are all idiots.  We're better off without them. "

Iris, I believe. 

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

Netflix, The Recruit

I wasn't expecting much, as these days, from streaming services I expect woke messaging for the "modern audience"...but honestly, I was pleasantly surprised.  No magic minorities (though there are minorities), no beating you over the head with diversity (though it's a diverse cast), no proselytizing messaging.  Just thoughtful, realistic characters who are truly characters and not archetypes.  The gay man isn't a gay character, he's a character who's gay.  Ditto the black woman, the Asian mom, etc.  They're all just characters, with definite competencies, deficiencies, and flaws.  They even develop through the course of the series, having actual arcs (take note, Amazon and Disney), and the arcs are executed with surprising subtlety and deftness.

The writing and directing is good - well-paced and balanced, humorous without comedy, dramatic without pathos.  The story arc is actually rather pedestrian...but it serves the characters, rather than the other way around.  Ultimately, it's a series about characters with different goals and interests, who often don't get along and are acting at odds to each other, who ultimately end up...not co-operating, so much as coordinating to the purpose of a greater goal despite their opposition.  And again, done with subtlety and realism surprising in a modern show.

The show runner is Alexi Hawley, who was a producer on Castle and creator of The Rookie, two competently executed network series with quality writing, so it's not surprising this show is of equal quality (and yes, there is a Nathan Fillion cameo).

My only real complaint is that the ending cliff-hanger was contrived as &#%$...I didn't really see it coming, so maybe it was set up well, but when it was revealed, my reaction was "are you shitting me?"  It...honestly, reminded me of the season cliffhangers in - unsurprisingly - Castle - sort of "cliffhanger for the sale of cliffhanger" production that doesn't add to the story and seems largely disconnected from it.  It won't stop me from watching season 2, whenever it comes out.

Even the wife liked it, so it's got something going for it if we were both entertained by it.

• Cheers 2

Considering it is Christmas Eve, after the Pokes Iggles game went with the Bundy's "You'd better watch out" followed by "a very sunny Christmas" then the Bob Newhart Show's "over the river & through the woods" (Thanksgiving themed, but could easily have been a Christmas episode), then the Grinch who stole Christmas, to be followed by "the year without a Santa Claus" and if still awake after all that will end w/ "a Charlie Brown Christmas."

Could've sworn we had the greatest Christmas movie of all, but apparently not.  Yippee Ki Aye Mother  ####ers.  And to all a very Bundy Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

T-34

It's a Russian movie about a - surprise - T-34 tank crew.  Think Fury, but arguably better done.  Two distinct acts: starts with a tank crew fighting off a German company in the Battle of Moscow in late '41.  They get captured, are reunited by chance in late '44 in a concentration camp, and given a newly captured T-34 tank and a mission to be the opposing force training German tankers.  They instead use the tank to escape, drama and battles ensue.

You probably wouldn't like it.  To me it was fascinating, first as Russian film.  It's not the most heavy-handed propaganda piece I've ever seen, but it has definite Sergey Eisenstein Aleksander Nevsky overtones to it (including the score), and despite trying to give the German characters some depth and ambiguity, it is definitely not subtle in its good vs. evil portrayal.  (Which I find completely understandable, in the Russian context of the war.) 

Second, I found the attention to detail very interesting.  Technically, it's an excellent movie, with surprisingly good cinematography and directing.  They went to rather extraordinary levels to get the details right - down to the sight reticles in the German gunsights being dead-on accurate (yes, I know what the reticles in different German gunsights look like.  Tell me you're surprised) and details of tank driving and use (e.g. don't lead with your gun if you're driving through a building). 

It's definitely not an American movie, and I'm sure there's cultural aspects of it that would make it somewhat inaccessible to normal people (it wasn't completely accessible to me.)  But it was clearly produced with some thoughtfulness and care, and if you're interested in the period it's worth a watch.

• Like 1

Billsandhorns
On 12/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

T-34

It's a Russian movie about a - surprise - T-34 tank crew.  Think Fury, but arguably better done.  Two distinct acts: starts with a tank crew fighting off a German company in the Battle of Moscow in late '41.  They get captured, are reunited by chance in late '44 in a concentration camp, and given a newly captured T-34 tank and a mission to be the opposing force training German tankers.  They instead use the tank to escape, drama and battles ensue.

You probably wouldn't like it.  To me it was fascinating, first as Russian film.  It's not the most heavy-handed propaganda piece I've ever seen, but it has definite Sergey Eisenstein Aleksander Nevsky overtones to it (including the score), and despite trying to give the German characters some depth and ambiguity, it is definitely not subtle in its good vs. evil portrayal.  (Which I find completely understandable, in the Russian context of the war.) 

Second, I found the attention to detail very interesting.  Technically, it's an excellent movie, with surprisingly good cinematography and directing.  They went to rather extraordinary levels to get the details right - down to the sight reticles in the German gunsights being dead-on accurate (yes, I know what the reticles in different German gunsights look like.  Tell me you're surprised) and details of tank driving and use (e.g. don't lead with your gun if you're driving through a building). 

It's definitely not an American movie, and I'm sure there's cultural aspects of it that would make it somewhat inaccessible to normal people (it wasn't completely accessible to me.)  But it was clearly produced with some thoughtfulness and care, and if you're interested in the period it's worth a watch.

Is that the one where the tank they were given to use had a crew killed inside and they had to clean it out.

Crap Throwing Clavin
31 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Is that the one where the tank they were given to use had a crew killed inside and they had to clean it out.

Yep.  Not as graphic as you'd think, too.

Billsandhorns
1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Yep.  Not as graphic as you'd think, too.

I remember it. It was a good movie. As I recall, they somehow hid some live rounds in the training area and that is how they escaped. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Last of Us

Episode one dropped yesterday.  Most of it is back story made up for Joel and his daughter.

But the truck scene definitely brought back memories.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

CarpetCrawler
On 12/28/2022 at 5:07 PM, IDBillzFan said:

I'm probably alone here, but Schmigadoon is freaking hysterical.

Not alone, I really enjoy it too.

• 2 weeks later...