Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo #5 Most Popular City for Millennial Homebuyers

Ann

Millennials are defined as having been born from 1981-1996.

I do want to know where people are buying in the city of Buffalo for under $200K? East side?

My son was 30 when he bought his house in Buffalo (although that was a few years ago).

Salt Lake City, Buffalo, and Detroit are the metros with the youngest millennial homebuyers. The average age for these three areas was 31.03 years old.

Methodology:

LendingTree analyzed mortgage requests and offers for borrowers ages 24 to 39 across the nation’s 50 largest metropolitan areas from Jan. 1, 2020 to Dec. 15, 2020, along with requests from the total population of mortgage seekers based on the property location.

The metro rankings were generated by looking at the percentage of total purchase mortgage requests received by LendingTree from borrowers in the millennial generation. The larger the share of requests from millennials, the higher ranking a metro received.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, Ann said:

Millennials are defined as having been born from 1981-1996.

I do want to know where people are buying in the city of Buffalo for under $200K? East side?

My son was 30 when he bought his house in Buffalo (although that was a few years ago).

Salt Lake City, Buffalo, and Detroit are the metros with the youngest millennial homebuyers. The average age for these three areas was 31.03 years old.

Methodology:

LendingTree analyzed mortgage requests and offers for borrowers ages 24 to 39 across the nation’s 50 largest metropolitan areas from Jan. 1, 2020 to Dec. 15, 2020, along with requests from the total population of mortgage seekers based on the property location.

The metro rankings were generated by looking at the percentage of total purchase mortgage requests received by LendingTree from borrowers in the millennial generation. The larger the share of requests from millennials, the higher ranking a metro received.

The metro would extend out from the city limits.  The last I knew it even extended into Niagara County.  Once you consider that there are excellent values in plenty of locations.  Even better values out in the rural areas then it is a matter of how far you want to commute or establish a high value business outside of the city.  In general the stigma of the Blizzard of '77 and Bethlehem Steel closing in 1979 are subsiding in many minds.

Just checking another site and as of 2010 the Buffalo metropolitan area includes Cattaraugus County.  Chautauqua County still retains its own identity statistically other than discussing WNY as a region.  Even the definition of WNY has shifted to include the Western Finger Lakes region to include Seneca, Ontario, and Yates Counties among others.  Terms such as the Genesee Region have fallen into decline other than to denote local destinations there.  

Edited by RochesterRob

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

I'm still kicking myself for not buying homes in the Allentown fringe for under $15k, when they were available in the mid 2000s. 

Absolutely. 

Parts of the west side were really rough back then and hubby wanted to buy and rehab (either to rent or flip). I was a no-way as I was afraid he'd get hurt. What a difference 15 years makes.

22 hours ago, Ann said:

Absolutely. 

Parts of the west side were really rough back then and hubby wanted to buy and rehab (either to rent or flip). I was a no-way as I was afraid he'd get hurt. What a difference 15 years makes.

Oh yeah.  Our friends left College Street because they woke up one morning to find the car up on 4 cinderblocks.  It was a run of the mill Honda, but apparently those are the prime parts to steal.   They also lost a "bidding war" on a house behind them that went for $20k.