Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2029 [Josh Allen Contact Extension Thread]

You Dirty Rat

4merper4mer
2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I dont anticipate a me first contract from Josh. I do from the other two. That said, how much did the Baker commercials land him?

Evidently not enough to pay for a better place than The Cheesecake Factory.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I heard he LOVES to read and he just goes there for the menu....

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

OK, what did I miss?

This is from the Athletic (paid site), Tim Graham mailbag.
Here is Michael Ginnitti Spotrac article from March.

Q: Do you have a prediction for the Josh Allen contract? When do you think it gets done and for how much? — Prison M.

A: Every chance I get, rather than try to hazard a guess, I’ll reach out to someone who knows more than I do.

Instead of throwing a dart, I asked Michael Ginnitti what he thinks Allen’s second contract will look like. Ginnitti is managing editor of Spotrac, the marvelous sports contract database.

</snip>

“I went into this year thinking Allen’s deal would resemble a ‘baby’ version of Patrick Mahomes’, in that it would include more years than normal, possibly six new years, with two thoughts in mind: 1) Brandon Beane has shown that he prefers to use a two-bonus structure on his big deals, so longer-term contracts allow for full proration of those bonuses; 2) Everyone is looking to keep cap hits low right now, and will likely need to do so again in 2022.

“That thinking (for me at least) has shifted with the tumultuous scenarios the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles have gone through with their recently extended QBs. Why aren’t the Rams getting the flack the Eagles are? Contract structure. Yes, L.A. guaranteed Jared Goff two years early in this contract (fully guaranteed through 2022, as of 2020), but they did so in terms of future base salary and future roster bonuses — not already paid signing/option bonuses. The latter is what Carson Wentz was given and why the Eagles now sit with a $33.8 million dead cap hit on their 2021 table.

“The signing/option bonus structure allows teams to better manage cash flow (something that may be of major concern for the Pegulas), but for contracts of this size, they add way too much dead weight and make moving on complicated — near impossible within the first three to four years.

“This is why, at the end of the day, the piece I published regarding Allen projects a standard four-year extension by simply cap-adjusting the model the Houston Texans gave Deshaun Watson.”

</snip>

Q: But what if there is a snag or Allen’s camp decides they’d rather wait until after the 2021 season?

A: Ginnitti replied:

“If the Bills are offering a sizable upfront signing bonus, there’s just no reason for Allen to wait. The problem? The largest signing bonus currently handed out by the Bills on their active roster is Allen’s rookie bonus of $13.4 million. Watson scored a $27 million bonus, but just $40 million over the first two years. Allen is set to make $26.5 million over the final two years of his rookie deal. So a bonus at or around that mark makes financial sense for Allen.

“If Allen waits, then he will do so for two reasons: 1) He wants Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson to further push up the non-Mahomes market; 2) The stripped-down upfront cash flow in order to keep 2021-22 cap hits tempered just isn’t agreeable. Prescott’s cash flow from 2020 to 2023 is $31.4 million, $75 million, $20 million, $31 million. The path Prescott took isn’t ideal, but it’s proof that almost nothing (not even a nasty injury) will deter an elite QB from making elite money when the pressure is on.”

</snip>

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

With the conclusion of the draft, we’re now onto “Josh Allen contract extension season”, so I figured I’d bump this to get it back on page 1.

• Like 2

Jackson still has not gotten an agent!? And, according to this article, that might end up impacting Josh (and Mayfield), too.

For Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson deals, who will go first?

For the teams and the players, it’s an important consideration. The first deal done becomes the first deal to be leapfrogged by one of the others. That could cause the players to be patient. It should cause the teams to be urgent — unless, of course, the team that goes first ends up paying more than the others.

Last week, I asked Ravens G.M. Eric DeCosta whether this dynamic will create a problem for his team’s effort to get Jackson, the 2019 NFL MVP, signed.

“I don’t know,” DeCosta said. “We’ve been in situations like this. We were in a situation like this with [offensive tackes] Ronnie Stanley and [Laremy] Tunsil and [David] Bakhtiari and guys like that. Then we were in a similar situation with [cornerbacks] Marlon Humphrey and Tre’Davious White and Jalen Ramsey. What I always think to myself is we’re going to the best deal we can for the Ravens. Certainly, we’ll consider other deals and other ways of doing deals and different things. But we’re going to negotiate and do the best deal we can for the club that also makes sense for the player.”

There’s another potentially significant factor affecting Baltimore’s situation. Allen and Mayfield have agents. Jackson does not. How much does that complicate the process for DeCosta?

</snip>

Any conversations between Mayfield and the Browns, Allen and the Bills, and Jackson and the Ravens have yet to result in new contracts. It’s entirely possible if not likely that the agents for Mayfield and Allen want to see what the unrepresented player gets before proceeding; they likely won’t want to provide the baseline for Jackson.

Conversely, they won’t want Jackson to establish an unfavorable baseline that they would be used to hold down their clients’ deals. It’s nevertheless better to be in a position to try to surpass the deal that Jackson does without a traditional agent than to risk the embarrassment of Jackson getting a better deal than the players who are represented in the traditional way.

Alaska Darin

i love these speculative articles.   One thing we know about Brandon Beane...he'll get everyone a fair deal. 

I can totally see the agents not wanting to see Jackson get a larger deal than their clients. If that happens, more players might not want agents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Allen on contract: “That’s the least most thing I’m worrying about right now”

Posted by Myles Simmons on May 26, 2021, 8:41 AM EDT

Miami Dolphins v Buffalo Bills
Getty Images

For Bills quarterback Josh Allen, a contract extension is not a matter of if, but when.

That’s what happens when you show continued development and lead your team to a pair of wins and an AFC Championship Game appearance in Year Three.

Of the three 2018 first-round quarterbacks in line for an extension — Allen, Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield, and Baltimore’s Lamar Jackson — there’s been no indication that either one is particularly close to inking a new deal.

Allen noted Tuesday that’s just fine with him.

“I’m just trying to be the best quarterback that I can be for the Bills,” Allen said, via Jay Skurski of The Buffalo News. “That’s why as players, most of us, not all of us, have agents to take care of that side of things. Again, that’s the least most thing I’m worrying about right now. I’m just trying to find ways I can do better and be better for this team, and help us accomplish the goal that we want to accomplish.”

Having said that, Allen added there is one reason to sign an extension ASAP.

“I think on your guys’ end, getting it done quick would kill all these questions that you have about it,” Allen said. “Again, I’m focused on being the best version of myself. Being the best quarterback, best leader that I can be for this team day in and day out.”

Because the Bills picked up Allen’s fifth-year option, he’s under contract through the 2022 season. That lowers the urgency for Buffalo to sign him to a new deal now. But the longer Buffalo waits, the more Allen’s market value may increase.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen contract projection, 2021
Matt Warren
Buffalo Rumblings

The Buffalo Bills and their fans believe they’ve found the quarterback of the future in Josh Allen, the team’s 2018 first-round selection. Naturally now that the Bills have picked up his fifth-year option for the 2022 season, talks turn to a long-term contract extension.

While general manager Brandon Beane and Allen have spoken of a desire to get a deal done this offseason, I still think that’s a long shot. Buffalo is close to the salary cap number in 2021 and with 2022 already guaranteed for both sides, I think it’s more likely something gets done next offseason.

Some folks are clamoring for the Bills to get ahead of contracts for Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson, but I don’t see the rush for any of those teams, frankly. They know they have 2021 and 2022 to evaluate these QBs before committing a Brinks truck to them in the future. Look at the bind the Philadelphia Eagles and Los Angeles Rams found themselves in this offseason for cautionary tales. Plus, the reason to get out ahead is so you have a cheaper contract instead of playing the one-upsmanship game, but the difference is only a few millions dollars over the length of the contract. It’ll save you money in the long run to be prudent and patient. 

In this thought experiment, I’ll lay out some existing contracts that will be used as guides for the deal and also talk about how to make the financials work in the short term for it to make sense to get the deal done in 2021, even if 2022 is more likely as I said.

</snip>

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I'm not sure this means anything other than "he's our guy." I still want to see who goes first...

</snip>

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday that the Ravens consider Jackson's extension priority No. 1 and are aiming to get it done prior to training camp before moving on to several other orders of business.

Until then, reports of the pending monster deal will keep hovering over the organization. When asked about the negotiations Wednesday afternoon, coach John Harbaugh said that he believes the star will "absolutely not" be affected by the ongoing talks.

"Look what he's done. He's gonna get paid. He knows that," Harbaugh said. "The question becomes, 'What's he gonna do?' 'What's his legacy gonna be as a quarterback?' That's what he focuses on, that's what's so great about him. The other thing is a done deal."

Having already locked the "franchise QB" label down, Jackson echoed Harbaugh's sentiments, making it clear that he's not going to let the money get in the way of his preparation.

"You know, I ain't gonna lie to you, I'm not really focused on that right now," he said of his contract situation.
 "I'm focused on getting me a Super Bowl, focused on getting better, focused on working with my teammates right now. Whatever was put out there, that's what it is, you know? Like I said before, I'm focused on winning right now, trying to bring me a Super Bowl here."

</snip>

• Like 1