Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2029 [Josh Allen Contact Extension Thread]

You Dirty Rat

This is an excellent article with some backstory from Beane about what went in to making this contract a reality.

‘Do you want to take a shot?’: Inside the negotiation of Josh Allen’s record-breaking deal with the Bills
 Matthew Fairburn
The Athletic (paid site)

Brandon Beane had just gotten out of the shower when he got the call from Patrick Collins, Josh Allen’s agent.

It was 10 p.m. Thursday. Beane was at home after a long day of training camp practice and meetings. He and Collins had spoken earlier in the day about the looming contract extension for the Bills’ star quarterback. Beane left the conversation thinking that the discussions were reaching a tipping point. Both sides had publicly said a deal didn’t need to get done before the season. They were confident they could work something out next offseason if need be, but Beane and Allen wanted talks to stop before the Bills played the Steelers in Week 1.

“I felt like at some point soon we were either really going to push to get this done or it was going to be a standstill,” Beane told The Athletic. “You can hit some points where you both just step away and say, ‘We’re not going to talk about this for a little while.’”

But this conversation with Collins didn’t lead to a standstill. Collins reiterated some of the points that were important to Allen and the agency. Beane expressed what was important to the Bills as an organization. Each side listed the things they needed to get through before Allen could sign on the dotted line.

“You look and say, ‘Man this is a pretty good list of things. But it’s doable,’ Beane said. “So we both said, ‘Do you want to take a shot?’ And we said, ‘Yes.’”

</snip>

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

Cleveland’s quarterback is also eligible for an extension, but swears it’s not on his mind.

“I’m worried about winning right now,” he said Sunday after the Browns practiced a FirstEnergy Stadium in front of an estimated 27,000 fans. “I don’t know the timeline on it. We haven’t talked about it because I’m worried about winning this season.”

Mayfield’s agents, Tom and Jack Mills, have not had any serious negotiations with the Browns to this point on the future of the 25-year-old QB, who is under contract through the 2022 season.

</snip>

“I’m not doing the negotiations, so quite frankly, I don’t give a damn,” he said. “I’m worried about winning Week 1 and going onto Week 2 and focusing on that week one week at a time.

“That’s my mindset, so no matter how many times I get asked this question throughout the year, it’s going to be the same answer, because that’s just the truth.”

</snip>

“I’m very happy for Josh,” Mayfield said. “I think Josh is a great guy. Going through that (draft) process with him, I’m very happy for him. He’s in a tradition-rich town like Buffalo, they’re lucky to have a quarterback like him that cares about it, lives that same mindset that they do up in Buffalo.”

</snip>

• Like 2

There are a lot of details and charts in this excellent article. It also lists the possible way forward for new QB contracts:

Agent's Take: Comparing Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen contracts, making them NFL's highest-paid players
While Mahomes inked a record $450 million deal, Allen landed more guaranteed money
CBS Sports
Joel Corry

</snip>

A significant amount of Mahomes' compensation in these years is in unsecured March roster bonuses that become fully guaranteed at least one year early. For example, Mahomes' 2027 compensation consists of a $10 million base salary, a $49.4 million third day of the league roster bonus and a $550,000 workout bonus. The $49.4 million roster bonus becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2026 league year. The base salary and workout bonus are fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2027 league year. The Chiefs would have to buy Mahomes out for $49.4 million to exit his deal in 2027 before the remaining $10.55 million became secure.

</snip>

Allen borrowed the concept of unsecured money in the later years becoming guaranteed a year early from Mahomes. For instance, Allen's $14 million 2027 base salary and $25 million fifth day of the 2027 league year roster bonus are fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year. The next to last year of Allen's contract is in 2027.

The devil is in the details with NFL contracts since the deals aren't fully guaranteed like in the NBA and MLB. The chart below summarizes the two quarterbacks' contracts and compares the common years of the deals. A direct comparison can be made because the two first-round picks both had two years left on their rookie contracts when signing their current deals. In the comparison, Mahomes' first new year is 2022 while Allen's is 2023 since the Chiefs signal-caller was drafted a year earlier in 2017. The comparison is quite revealing.

</snip>

There's a big disparity in the amount fully guaranteed at signing. Allen has the most ever fully guaranteed in an NFL contract. It was widely reported that he had $100 million fully guaranteed at signing and $150 million of overall guarantees. That's only true if Allen's $2,618,595 third day of training camp roster bonus, which was earned on July 29, is included in these totals. Nine players, including Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa and Titans wide receiver Julio Jones, had more fully guaranteed at signing than Mahomes.

The total guarantees are much closer. Allen replaced Mahomes as having the most total guarantees in an NFL contract. Money completely unsecured, that becomes fully guaranteed at a later date, is not considered in the total guarantees calculations.

Mahomes trails Allen at every juncture in new money despite his extension averaging $2 million more per year. This is because Mahomes' contract is backloaded. High-end NFL contracts are usually frontloaded because of the lack of full guarantees.

With Mahomes' deal, 43.9% of new money is in the first five new contract years (2022 through 2026) while $252.25 million of the $450 million (56.1%) is in the final five new years for an average of $50.45 million per year. In a neutral deal, one that's neither frontloaded or backloaded, 50% of Mahomes' new money or $225 million would be in the first five new years.

Allen's deal is structured more conventionally. At the halfway point of his extension (after the first three new years), Allen has 53.47% of his new money.

</snip>