Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts About the Colt Playoff Game, in no particular order

Virgil

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

I’m nearly certain the Knox TD was semi-improvised.

It was far too long developing, and Allen actually engaged with the line before slinging to Knox while getting crushed.

There’s no way that was designed.  I think it was just a heady play by Knox, leaking out after not having anyone to block.

• Like 4

Great write-up, @Virgil.

I too had pregame jitters. I guess I am still not convinced this is real, and the Bills are a good team.

Were you listening to my husband complain about no jet-sweeps and no McKenzie?

Starting field position was so bad, I was screaming at the TV for Roberts to not even think about bringing it out (he didn't listen to me).

• Like 2

Yes. Does Robert’s have carte blanche on taking a KO out of the end zone?

He was playing his own brand of hero ball today. :classic_angry:

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

As always, a fair writeup.  My major take away is they did not play their best game and still won.  This is the major difference from last year.

Allen showed why he will keep the Bills in any game.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I’m nearly certain the Knox TD was semi-improvised.

It was far too long developing, and Allen actually engaged with the line before slinging to Knox while getting crushed.

There’s no way that was designed.  I think it was just a heady play by Knox, leaking out after not having anyone to block.

I think the play is an option play where Josh could either run or pass there. From watching the replay a few times, you could see that Josh was pretty determined to run it in there. It was only at the last minute when he realized he was not running it in did he look up to see Dawson and practically pushed/willed it to him .

10 hours ago, Just Joshin said:

As always, a fair writeup.  My major take away is they did not play their best game and still won.  This is the major difference from last year.

Allen showed why he will keep the Bills in any game.

dare i say the Bills made the plays the *Patriots have been making for 20 years. we dont get the calls yet, but that will come.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

I think the play is an option play where Josh could either run or pass there. From watching the replay a few times, you could see that Josh was pretty determined to run it in there. It was only at the last minute when he realized he was not running it in did he look up to see Dawson and practically pushed/willed it to him .

Agree completely.  A few of those runs where Josh got lit up were definitely RPOs.  I think JA didn't have enough patience a couple of times and took off a bit prematurely.  I won't be able to watch the game again until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest, so hopefully someone else here or on the internet will have some analysis before then.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 9:42 PM, Virgil said:

1 - Respect - The highest form of respect one team can give an opposing team is to create a game plan that's completely tailored to slowing them down.  Yes, teams do some form of this every week, but this game was different.  The Bills will adjust their defense to the opposing offense based off of strengths, but still play their style of football.  In this game, the Colts play an infuriating style of offense with only one goal in mind; to keep the Bills off the field.  Never in my football watching history have I seen a team run the playclock down to 1 (arguably 0) on so many plays.  Honestly, it really infuriated me at times and felt cowardly.  I understand strategy, but this was a bit over the top.  The Colts dragged out every single series to the best of their ability with both the clock and using all 3 downs.  The other sign of respect was Frank going for it on 4th down within the 5 and attempting the 2 point conversion.  All of these thing made one thing perfectly clear, the Colts believed the Bills could explode on offense at any moment, and there was nothing would be able to do to stop it.

Upon further All-22 review, this is what won the game for Buffalo.  Reich was clearly afraid of what the Bills offense could do that he made many unforced errors that swayed the game in Buffalo's favor.   I'm sure that after his film review he realized that had he stuck with a traditional game plan, they may have won.

That the Bills won the game is the testament to the rise of their skill players, because Indy abused both sides of the line.  This game reinforced the rationale of why McDermott benched Morse, while Boettger had his worst game in two months.  To make matters worse, when Bills ran, they favored the left side of the line, despite the tandem getting abused by Colts' DTs.    

The DL didn't fare much better, since nobody laid a finger on Rivers and the very good OL had no problems pushing the Bills out of the way to open up gaping holes.

The big uglies cannot play this way against Baltimore, or it will be a very long evening.  The other key is to stay disciplined in their assignments and let Lamar beat them from the pocket.   The OL needs to regain its form from the last 4 weeks of the season, because Ravens have a much stronger pass rush than Indy.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, GG1 said:

To make matters worse, when Bills ran, they favored the left side of the line, despite the tandem getting abused by Colts' DTs.   

I said this during the game.  If we'd have favored running right, they couldn't have stopped us.  I don't know what Daboll was thinking there.

If the DLine stays in their lanes and gets consistent push, Lamar throwing the ball isn't a problem and I think he's going to give us the opportunity to get a couple of picks.  The biggest question to me is whether or not we can actually cover the tight ends and backs because they're really the key to whether they can throw the ball. 

Their defense blitzes a ton - more than anyone in the NFL.  That means we can make a buncha big plays if we block it up.  That's the one place I think we miss Moss because he's so good on screens.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I said this during the game.  If we'd have favored running right, they couldn't have stopped us.  I don't know what Daboll was thinking there.

If the DLine stays in their lanes and gets consistent push, Lamar throwing the ball isn't a problem and I think he's going to give us the opportunity to get a couple of picks.  The biggest question to me is whether or not we can actually cover the tight ends and backs because they're really the key to whether they can throw the ball. 

Their defense blitzes a ton - more than anyone in the NFL.  That means we can make a buncha big plays if we block it up.  That's the one place I think we miss Moss because he's so good on screens.

I kept wondering why so much left.........

Roll Josh to the right, roll others to the right. I feel we will need a couple big plays from unseen people to win this game. I feel a Lee Smith/MacKenzie/kick return/pick-6 could be the difference. 

Most of his success is still middle centric but he really doesn't throw the ball very much.  He only had 2 games where he threw more than 30 times.  The more he throws, the more likely it is the BILLS win the game.

• Like 2