Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Unbearable Burden of BILLS' Fandom

Alaska Darin

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/1/13/22227659/buffalo-bills-pain-suffering-deliverance

he difference between this season and the past 25 is simple: The Buffalo Bills are one of the best teams in the NFL. I’m not used to saying this unironically, and it’s something I still hesitate to say out of some fear of a jinx. But it’s the truth: They have one of the best records in the league, one of the best coaches in the league, one of the best quarterbacks, one of the best wide receivers in the league … they’re just good—good enough to survive a sudden jolt. Good enough to overcome mistakes. Good enough to look their demons in the eye and vanquish them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Yet I was more nervous watching the replay of the Indy game on NFL Network than the actual game itself. BBFS is hard to shake.

I'm so less stressed about this upcoming game, than I was about Indy, both live, and replay.

I was a MESS during the game, after the game, and until I slept.

I'm at peace with the outcome this week. 

Just gotta stay upright till 8:15!

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

17 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Yet I was more nervous watching the replay of the Indy game on NFL Network than the actual game itself. BBFS is hard to shake.

I'm with you on that.  For me, without the pressure and adrenaline that comes with live games, I tend to focus on the mistakes a bit more in the game review.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm so less stressed about this upcoming game, than I was about Indy, both live, and replay.

Agree about nerves for Indy and it looked like the team was tight, too.  I haven’t re-watched the game yet.  I think re-watching the Josh fumble might do me in.

I think we have a very good shot at beating the Ravens and it will set up an epic Championship Game vs KC. 

• Like 2

After four straight losses in the big game, I vowed to never wanting to see The Bills in the Super Bowl until they went all the way and won it. The losses were so painful, and the accumulation of them were a heavy burden. 

I feel a little differently now. This might not be their year - but it certainly could be. I'm looking forward to the games, and hope The Bills prevail in all of them and win their final game of this season. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Nanker said:

After four straight losses in the big game, I vowed to never wanting to see The Bills in the Super Bowl until they went all the way and won it. The losses were so painful, and the accumulation of them were a heavy burden. 

I feel a little differently now. This might not be their year - but it certainly could be. I'm looking forward to the games, and hope The Bills prevail in all of them and win their final game of this season. 

I heard people say that back in the day and I was like "No way."  I remember when the BILLS were consistently bad (Kay Stephenson, Bullough, etc).  I'll take being a running joke for not winning the Super Bowl over that any day. 

There's only been one season in the last 25 (Music City Miracle) when I thought the BILLS could win the Super Bowl.  With the current front office, HC, ownership, and JA we might be serious contenders for 10-15 years.  How cool is that?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 3

22 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I heard people say that back in the day and I was like "No way."  I remember when the BILLS were consistently bad (Kay Stephenson, Bullough, etc).  I'll take being a running joke for not winning the Super Bowl over that any day. 

There's only been one season in the last 25 (Music City Miracle) when I thought the BILLS could win the Super Bowl.  With the current front office, HC, ownership, and JA we might be serious contenders for 10-15 years.  How cool is that?

Yes, AD. WAY cool! In that stretch, we should be able to see them in the big dance many, many times. 

I too remember the bleak years of true drudgery being a Bills fan. I also thought they would have gone to and won the year of the Music City Homerun Throwup. It never should have been that close.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nanker said:

It never should have been that close.

Agreed.  I have a very deep loathing for Ralph for many reasons (as most my age/intellect do) but making Wade bench Flutie for Johnson was the icing on the cake.  You wasted one of the top 2 or 3 defenses in NFL history by getting involved in football decisions.  Just sign the checks, you &#%$ing cheapskate.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

First of all, thanks for posting this article. That was a well-written piece, and his sense of humor was just right.

He reminded me of something Bills fans (and maybe even Cardinals fans) will discuss for years: that Cardinals game -- and particularly the way it ended -- marked the first time I remember a result making the losing team stronger while making the winning team weaker. 

Bills lit it up after that and the Cardinals just fell apart, camouflaged as a winner on a fluke when -- had the Hail Mary not worked -- the discussion for weeks WOULD have been the Bills final drive with the TD to Diggs with 34 seconds left on the clock.

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I was more disappointed/frustrated than stressed in the first half due to fact they weren't playing well and couldn't get out of their own end.  Second half I was fine, until the fumble, which brought back a flood of memories from last year.  It didn't help when Josh made a poor decision on 2d and 33 by not taking the easy 10-15 yard gain to either Knox or Singletary in the flat.  After that it was panic mode pretty much until the end.

As for this week, I'm also at peace. Not that I'll be satisfied if it ends here, but it would have been a crushing disappointment to get bounced in their first game after such a great regular season.  Getting the first playoff win absolutely had to happen, both for the franchise and the future of this particular team.

• Like 6
  • Cheers 1