Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Power Rankings

Ann

4merper4mer
2 hours ago, PackerNation said:

I'm not sure some understand what power rankings are. Many in the media don't understand what a power ranking actually is either. I know for a fact that Mike Florio and Colin Cowherd have no clue whatsoever.

It's not a list of what any one person thinks are the rank of all 32 teams at any given time.

Power ranking takes into account injuries, takes into account the coaching staff, takes into account depth and overall roster etc, etc...

Not just a Top 20 list.

I prefer to look at the teams that are true Super Bowl contenders for this 2022 season.

There are 5:

Green Bay

Kansas City

L.A. Rams

Buffalo

Tampa Bay

Teams like Cincy, Denver, Dallas, Oakland, and the Chargers, are pretenders until they prove more. 

Didn’t Cincy prove it when they came back from multiple scores on the road to beat a team on your list in the AFCCG?  They were a play or two away from winning the Super Bowl.  Would that have proven it?  

You’re a Packers fans, I’m a Bills fan but Cincy outperformed them both in the playoffs last year……the Packers by a wide margin…..then Cincy went out and improved their roster while the Packers lost one of their key players.  I’m not by any means saying they’re a lock for anything but I 100% feel they belong on every contenders list and calling them a pretender, like they seem to be called on most lists I see, is out of line with reality.  I think it stems from everyone thinking they were three years away at the start of the 2021 season.  Spoiler alert: they weren’t.

2 hours ago, PackerNation said:

I'm not sure some understand what power rankings are. Many in the media don't understand what a power ranking actually is either. I know for a fact that Mike Florio and Colin Cowherd have no clue whatsoever.

It's not a list of what any one person thinks are the rank of all 32 teams at any given time.

Power ranking takes into account injuries, takes into account the coaching staff, takes into account depth and overall roster etc, etc...

Not just a Top 20 list.

I prefer to look at the teams that are true Super Bowl contenders for this 2022 season.

There are 5:

Green Bay

Kansas City

L.A. Rams

Buffalo

Tampa Bay

Teams like Cincy, Denver, Dallas, Oakland, and the Chargers, are pretenders until they prove more. 

I think you can scramble the top 5 teams into any "power" rank you want and have a good argument.  I think Cincy gets to top 6 because they were the AFC champs last year, and the Ravens are a top tier team. As far as the Chargers... Herbert is special. If they can get their act together there, the Chargers will be a force for years to come... or they could be the Philip Rivers years redux and waste an excellent QB.  🤷‍♀️  Time will tell. 

20 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Even with that, both they and the Broncos are ranked way too high IMO.  I like the Broncos roster in general but they haven’t proven a thing.  In a ranking like this, they should at best be on equal footing with the Raiders who were better last season and added a tip top receiver.

The Ravens did have injuries but their offense struggled with and without Jackson and they were incredibly lucky in some early season wins handed to them by other teams including the Lions Colts and Vikings.

that thing is a general mess if you ask me.  I get that the AFC is reputed to be a gauntlet and I agree but last year’s winner makes significant improvements to their biggest weakness, their OL, and gets ranked 6th behind a team they absolutely crushed twice?  Shirley they can’t be serious.

Pittsburgh…too low, Miami…to high and possibly the Jets are in the wrong places too.

:beer:

One things for sure, the AFC is sure as hell going to be entertaining this year. Last year will be hard to top but there are going to be so many storylines that I think it will be even more exciting.

3 hours ago, PackerNation said:

Not just a Top 20 list.

There are 5:

Green Bay

Kansas City

L.A. Rams

Buffalo

Tampa Bay

Please provide a link or at least a list of the reasons that Florio and Cowherd have no clue whatsoever. Please note why those reasons are facts. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, PackerNation said:

That's why we have our own metrics on this site: the OBF DAB POMA metrics.  The OBF DAB POMA Power Rankins take all you mention in to account, and analyses expected team performance using a path integral formalism measuring the divergence of error from a true expected value of 8.5 wins.

The simulation is still running, but as of now, here are the rigorous OBF DAB POMA PI(8.5) Power Rankings (Preliminary):

1) Green Bay Packers
2) Kansas City Chiefs
3) Buffalo Bills
4) Los Angeles Rams
5) Dallas Cowboys
6) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7) Tennessee Titans
8 ) Arizona Cardinals
9 - tie) Cincinnati Bengals
9 - tie) Las Vegas Raiders
11) San Francisco 49ers
12) New England Patriots
13) Los Angeles Chargers
14) Miami Dolphins
15) Baltimore Ravens
16) Minnesota Vikings
17) Indianapolis Colts
18) Cleveland Browns
19) Philadelphia Eagles
20) Denver Broncos
21) New Orleans Saints
22) Pittsburgh Steelers
23) Washington Commanders
24) Seattle Seahawks
25) Atlanta Falcons
26) Chicago Bears
27) Carolina Panthers
28) New York Giants
29) Jacksonville Jaguars
30) Detroit Lions
31) New York Jets
32) Houston Texans

Edited by Crap Throwing Clavin

PackerNation
1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Didn’t Cincy prove it when they came back from multiple scores on the road to beat a team on your list in the AFCCG?  They were a play or two away from winning the Super Bowl.  Would that have proven it?  

You’re a Packers fans, I’m a Bills fan but Cincy outperformed them both in the playoffs last year……the Packers by a wide margin…..then Cincy went out and improved their roster while the Packers lost one of their key players.  I’m not by any means saying they’re a lock for anything but I 100% feel they belong on every contenders list and calling them a pretender, like they seem to be called on most lists I see, is out of line with reality.  I think it stems from everyone thinking they were three years away at the start of the 2021 season.  Spoiler alert: they weren’t.

Did you read my post? Power rankings are about right now as far as roster, injuries, coaching, and overall outlook going forward.

What they are not is about last season.

We can compare the rosters of Cincy and Green Bay if you would like. Also the coaching staffs. You are implying the Packers lost one player so they did not improve and got worse. You fail to mention the overall roster. And where they improved.

Every team in the league has losses and gains in the offseason. 

Would love to go position by position and coach by coach between Cincy and Green Bay. 

PackerNation
8 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

That's why we have our own metrics on this site: the OBF DAB POMA metrics.  The OBF DAB POMA Power Rankins take all you mention in to account, and analyses expected team performance using a path integral formalism measuring the divergence of error from a true expected value of 8.5 wins.

The simulation is still running, but as of now, here are the rigorous OBF DAB POMA PI(8.5) Power Rankings (Preliminary):

1) Green Bay Packers
2) Kansas City Chiefs
3) Buffalo Bills
4) Los Angeles Rams
5) Dallas Cowboys
6) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7) Tennessee Titans
8 ) Arizona Cardinals
11) San Francisco 49ers
12) New England Patriots
13) Los Angeles Chargers
14) Miami Dolphins
15) Baltimore Ravens
16) Minnesota Vikings
17) Indianapolis Colts
18) Cleveland Browns
19) Philadelphia Eagles
20) Denver Broncos
21) New Orleans Saints
22) Pittsburgh Steelers
24) Seattle Seahawks
25) Atlanta Falcons
26) Chicago Bears
27) Carolina Panthers
28) New York Giants
29) Jacksonville Jaguars
30) Detroit Lions
31) New York Jets
32) Houston Texans

Well wait, the Packers lost Davante so they suck now. Don't ruin the haters narrative.

Sorry, I had to. Haha.

PackerNation
37 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

1) Green Bay Packers
2) Kansas City Chiefs
3) Buffalo Bills
4) Los Angeles Rams
5) Dallas Cowboys
6) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7) Tennessee Titans
8 ) Arizona Cardinals
11) San Francisco 49ers
12) New England Patriots
13) Los Angeles Chargers
14) Miami Dolphins
15) Baltimore Ravens
16) Minnesota Vikings
17) Indianapolis Colts
18) Cleveland Browns
19) Philadelphia Eagles
20) Denver Broncos
21) New Orleans Saints
22) Pittsburgh Steelers
24) Seattle Seahawks
25) Atlanta Falcons
26) Chicago Bears
27) Carolina Panthers
28) New York Giants
29) Jacksonville Jaguars
30) Detroit Lions
31) New York Jets
32) Houston Texans

I think you have all 5 teams on my true Super Bowl contenders list near the top of your list. I do not view the Cowboys as highly as Tampa Bay, but that debate could be had. 

Edited by PackerNation

MothersMilk
1 minute ago, PackerNation said:

I think you have all 5 teams on my true Super Bowl contenders list. I do not view the Cowboys as highly as Tampa Bay, but that debate could be had. 

Tampa may have lost their pro bowl center for the year... Jensen was carted off the practice field yesterday.

PackerNation
1 minute ago, MothersMilk said:

Tampa may have lost their pro bowl center for the year... Jensen was carted off the practice field yesterday.

The Cowboys have Dak Prescott at QB and Mike McCarthy as a head coach. Haha.

I do understand the Cowboys have a good roster. I just would not rank them above Tampa, even if Jensen is out for the season. Do we have any updates on his status? Last I heard was no word on whether he is out the season.

MothersMilk
1 minute ago, PackerNation said:

The Cowboys have Dak Prescott at QB and Mike McCarthy as a head coach. Haha.

I do understand the Cowboys have a good roster. I just would not rank them above Tampa, even if Jensen is out for the season. Do we have any updates on his status? Last I heard was no word on whether he is out the season.

It'll take a day or two or three for the swelling to go down and get the tests back.

Crap Throwing Clavin
25 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

I think you have all 5 teams on my true Super Bowl contenders list near the top of your list. I do not view the Cowboys as highly as Tampa Bay, but that debate could be had. 

It's not "my" list.  It's not a list of what any one person thinks.  Do you understand what a Power Ranking is?

PackerNation
10 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It's not "my" list.  It's not a list of what any one person thinks.  Do you understand what a Power Ranking is?

I said you because you referenced the list as a list from those on this site. I considered you part of that group. Why I used the word you.

The word "my" which you oddly put in quotations was used when discussing my 5 true Super Bowl contenders.

Yes, I understand more than you what a power ranking is. Thanks for asking though kiddo.

Edited by PackerNation

4merper4mer
1 hour ago, PackerNation said:

Did you read my post? Power rankings are about right now as far as roster, injuries, coaching, and overall outlook going forward.

What they are not is about last season.

We can compare the rosters of Cincy and Green Bay if you would like. Also the coaching staffs. You are implying the Packers lost one player so they did not improve and got worse. You fail to mention the overall roster. And where they improved.

Every team in the league has losses and gains in the offseason. 

Would love to go position by position and coach by coach between Cincy and Green Bay. 

Cincy had a Super Bowl roster and coaching staff in 2021 correct?  

PackerNation
1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Cincy had a Super Bowl roster and coaching staff in 2021 correct?  

They got to the Super Bowl last year. That does not matter to me.

I do not think they had a better roster or coaching staff than the Packers in 2021 or currently. The Packers won the head to head vs. Cincy in 2021

As I said, we can go position by position and coach by coach between Cincy and Green Bay.

Because a team sneaks in the Super Bowl the previous year does not get them automatically on the Super Bowl contenders list for the next season. They need to prove it wasn't a one year wonder type deal. Like I said, they have more to prove before I put them in the true Super Bowl contender tier.

16 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

They might be roster-wise but I'll believe their coach can win a close big game when he actually does it.  He spit the bit pretty hard in week 18 last year.

Was that when he went for two for the win?

Beer__League__Hockey
28 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Was that when he went for two for the win?

No it was when they took a defensive time out near the end of the game and woke the raiders up.  

• Like 1

4merper4mer
1 hour ago, PackerNation said:

They got to the Super Bowl last year. That does not matter to me.

If we’re throwing reality out the window then I guess anything goes.  You can think whatever you want about rosters/etc. but asking Cincy to prove something they’ve already proven is misguided.  It would be one thing if the had a bunch of fluky things happen last year or lost some key pieces, but neither is the case.

I think the Packers are contenders but if someone put them in the prove it category due to recent playoff results, I’d understand.  Your personal analysis of a roster does not magically become reality.

PackerNation
2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If we’re throwing reality out the window then I guess anything goes.  You can think whatever you want about rosters/etc. but asking Cincy to prove something they’ve already proven is misguided.  It would be one thing if the had a bunch of fluky things happen last year or lost some key pieces, but neither is the case.

I think the Packers are contenders but if someone put them in the prove it category due to recent playoff results, I’d understand.  Your personal analysis of a roster does not magically become reality.

Not sure why you are so butthurt that I don't have Cincy as one the 5 Super Bowl contenders. Why do you care? The Packers beat them last year with several key players missing and Mason Crosby missing 3 FGs and a extra point in the game. 

Ok, last year doesn't matter, I agree. Show me how the Bengals are superior overall to the Packers presently.

2 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

Show me how the Bengals are superior overall to the Packers presently.

For starters, your quarterback thinks he's Cammeron Poe and the Bengal's quarterback thinks he is Cam Newton.

Advantage: Bengals.

It takes a lot to dress like an embarrassing asshat and still make it to the Super Bowl.

• Haha 1