Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Leslie Frazier under “heavy consideration” for Houston Texans head coach job

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

NFL: New York Jets at Buffalo Bills

While the Buffalo Bills are keeping their offensive coaching staff in tact for 2021, their defensive coaching staff may not be so lucky.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator/assistant head coach Leslie Frazier is under “heavy consideration” for the head coaching vacancy with the Houston Texans. Ironically enough, the other name said to be in the running is Frazier’s diametric opponent this Sunday, Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/1/22/22243009/leslie-frazier-under-heavy-consideration-for-houston-texans-head-coach-job-buffalo-bills-defense

I know it is the only head coaching job left this year, and there are only 32 of them, but... yikes. That is a disaster down there.  If he accepts, best of luck to him (except when their games impact the Bills).

• Like 1

This is an interesting choice for Frazier. This may very well be the last time he can be a HC, and it could be a compelling challenge to turn around a franchise that has shot itself in the foot, if he can wring concessions to clean up the internal front office messes.

It's a bit different than Daboll's situation, in the respective points of their careers.

That said, however, I hope Frazier turns them down. As interesting as the challenge may be, as well as being potentially his last shot at being a HC again, it's still a really bad situation.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Koko said:

This is an interesting choice for Frazier. This may very well be the last time he can be a HC, and it could be a compelling challenge to turn around a franchise that has shot itself in the foot, if he can wring concessions to clean up the internal front office messes.

It's a bit different than Daboll's situation, in the respective points of their careers.

That said, however, I hope Frazier turns them down. As interesting as the challenge may be, as well as being potentially his last shot at being a HC again, it's still a really bad situation.

Never underestimate the ego for guys in this position, honestly feeling that they can turn things around, even in bad situations.    Frazier's acumen and temperament may be the perfect tonic to right that franchise, even if he may not be an ideal long term coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

Never underestimate the ego for guys in this position, honestly feeling that they can turn things around, even in bad situations.    Frazier's acumen and temperament may be the perfect tonic to right that franchise, even if he may not be an ideal long term coach.

That same temperament may let him realize he already has a great thing in Buffalo. Beyond that, he's been a head coach and failed pretty poorly in an organization that isn't too much different than Houston.  The Vikings ownership and office has had a lot of nonsense and I'm hoping Frazier just enjoys life as a coordinator. 

• Like 2

If he takes the job, I wish him the best and hope he succeeds (to a point).  He seems like a really good guy.  Though I'd like to keep this band together for a few more years.

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 1

I think he’ll go. I wonder if we’ll get the Ravens LB coach Mike Macdonald to replace him. Remember they just hired Blob Ryan to a LB coaching position. 

If Frazier takes this job, I think it's a combination of two factors.  First factor is the Texans are a dumpster fire that other candidates may not want to stake the reputations on. 

Second is that Ravens AFC Divisional playoff game was a defensive coordinators masterpiece.  😄

On 1/22/2021 at 4:36 PM, snafu said:

I'd like to keep this band together for a few more years.

I'd like to keep Frazier around at least another year as well.  If he were to take a HC position after next year, Jim Schwartz may be ready to return to the NFL. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Leslie is in his early 60's.  May be his last chance for a big payday or nearly so.  At this point Houston is probably trying to find a coach that is willing to take the job and one that can win over Watson and keep him a happy Texan. 

leh-nerd skin-erd

I’ve become reflective as I have gotten older.  

Losing LF would potentially set us back.  He seems very well-liked by the players, and for all the ‘McD calls the plays’, I think it’s a group effort and part of the reason we’re in the championship game.  With luck McD and LF come up with a plan to contain the Chiefs today and we fight on. 

If he takes the job, God bless him, good luck and thanks for your commitment to building the Buffalo Bills. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 1/24/2021 at 7:55 AM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve become reflective as I have gotten older.  

Losing LF would potentially set us back.  He seems very well-liked by the players, and for all the ‘McD calls the plays’, I think it’s a group effort and part of the reason we’re in the championship game.  With luck McD and LF come up with a plan to contain the Chiefs today and we fight on. 

If he takes the job, God bless him, good luck and thanks for your commitment to building the Buffalo Bills.

I like Leslie Frazier.  He seems like a great dude.  I would very much like to move on from him.

• Like 2

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

I like Leslie Frazier.  He seems like a great dude.  I would very much like to move on from him.

He's the perfect person to soothe over the Texans locker room.

We need to change the D mindset.

And I want those two 3rd round picks.

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 1

His defensive system is good. His execution of the system doesn't require a lot. He has a good temperament for the job.

His product doesn't produce winners, though. He is a coordinator not a HC. A Dick Jauron, a Gregg Williams. He's not a Wade Phillips or Sam Wyche.