Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Leslie Frazier under “heavy consideration” for Houston Texans head coach job

You Dirty Rat

leh-nerd skin-erd
11 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I like Leslie Frazier.  He seems like a great dude.  I would very much like to move on from him.

I’m reading this and hearing the voice of the  South African ambassador in Lethal Weapon 1, 4 or 5 (Little Weapons, the one where the kids of Riggs and Murtaugh break up an international sex trafficking operation).  

It’s chilling.  

• Haha 1

So Bieniemy is out?

The racial thing will explode if they hire Culley.  Not to mention guaranteeing Watson is out the door (likely to the AFCE).  We really want them to hire Leslie. 

21 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

The same David Culley who was QB coach here a few years ago?

Yup and given the splendid job he did here, I'm sure that Watson is thrilled.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

So Bieniemy is out?

The racial thing will explode if they hire Culley.  Not to mention guaranteeing Watson is out the door (likely to the AFCE).  We really want them to hire Leslie. 

Not sure what you mean there considering Culley is black.

8 hours ago, GG1 said:

ESPN reports Culley will get the job.   

That's why they're the Texans.  

Rumors are Bieniemy wanted more control of the roster while Culley didn't make such demands.  And yes, they're the Texans.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Rumors are Bieniemy wanted more control of the roster while Culley didn't make such demands.  And yes, they're the Texans.

Culley doesn't have a fraction of accomplishments that would hint at HC on his resume that the other guys did. 

Are they hanging their hat on the progress that he made with Josh Allen in his rookie year or the splendid work with the Ravens passing game to the WRs?

Being a great position coach is certainly no guarantee you'll succeed as a head coach.  It's a very different skill set.  So Culley might be a very good HC but not a great position coach.  The new GM in Houston is definitely painting himself into a corner.

I feel bad for Frazier because it was honestly probably his last real kick at the can.  I also really, really wanted a change at DC. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Being a great position coach is certainly no guarantee you'll succeed as a head coach.  It's a very different skill set.  So Culley might be a very good HC but not a great position coach.  The new GM in Houston is definitely painting himself into a corner.

I feel bad for Frazier because it was honestly probably his last real kick at the can.  I also really, really wanted a change at DC. 

Agree in theory, but the guy's resume screams a Curtis Modkins, or whoever that guy was that Rex always kept around as a sounding board.  In his 30 year NFL career, he's never held a coordinator position, nor was in charge of calling plays. 

The rationale that Texans gave was they loved his ability to connect with players.  Taking that, and seeing the multiple Asst Head Coach title, but without real responsibilities, hints that his role was closer to the Chaplin position of player relations, than managing the complexities of running the team.  

Just my hunch, and he can certainly prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

Agree in theory, but the guy's resume screams a Curtis Modkins, or whoever that guy was that Rex always kept around as a sounding board.  In his 30 year NFL career, he's never held a coordinator position, nor was in charge of calling plays. 

The rationale that Texans gave was they loved his ability to connect with players.  Taking that, and seeing the multiple Asst Head Coach title, but without real responsibilities, hints that his role was closer to the Chaplin position of player relations, than managing the complexities of running the team.  

Just my hunch, and he can certainly prove me wrong. 

No disagreement - I pretty much feel the same way.  I don't know if you read the article about the "*Patriots' Priest" that rose to fairly significant power in the Houston organization but this feels pretty similar to me.

From a completely ignorant outsider perspective, I'd have hired Bienemy.  I really don't understand not giving the HC significant authority over players.  At the end of the day, he's really the cook and should have most of the say on the ingredients.  If he's not a good personnel man, he's probably not going to be much of a HC.

36 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

We're left, now, hoping the team's self-analysis on defensive shortcomings sees and addresses what many see as glaring issues. On the upside, the evidence says they're pretty good at self-correction.

I have no idea how Culley will pan out, but one of the things that expedites first-time HC success is having a former HC on as a coordinator. I think it was Kirwan years ago who pointed out that there are so many administrative things a HC has to handle that coordinators, position coaches and even college coaches making the transition to the NFL simply get overwhelmed with in their first year. I believe this was one of Frazier's biggest benefits to McDermott when he took over as HC.

My hope is Watson gets moved. He really showed his abilities this year and it would be a shame to see talent like his turn into Matt Stafford V2.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1

Welcome to your new team David Culley.

Quarterback Deshaun Watson has requested a trade from the Houston Texans, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

Watson made the request to the team weeks ago, sources told ESPN.

The Texans' new head coaching hire, David Culley, has not and will not alter Watson's thinking, sources told ESPN.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

My hope is Watson gets moved.

Careful what yu wish for, reporting Jets and Dolphins 1 and 1A on his wish list. Really don't want that dude with competent coaching  in the AFC East

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Welcome to your new team David Culley.

Imagine being a new GM and being dumb enough to trade a 25 year old franchise QB.  That would take some stones and you better hit a home run with whatever you get back.

• Like 3