Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Leslie Frazier under “heavy consideration” for Houston Texans head coach job

You Dirty Rat

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Careful what yu wish for, reporting Jets and Dolphins 1 and 1A on his wish list. Really don't want that dude with competent coaching  in the AFC East

I write this with the caveat that it's just me speculating, but I'd be stunned if the Fish make a move away from Tua this quickly because it's their current GM/Coach that went after him. I could ultimately see them pulling a move like Cardinals/Rosen, but not this fast.

The Jets? I can definitely see it, but they have so many holes -- especially on the OL -- that I wouldn't expect Watson to have much more success than he had in Texas this year.

Of course, there's a reason I'm not employed by an NFL team...because all I know is just what I think I know.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Careful what yu wish for, reporting Jets and Dolphins 1 and 1A on his wish list. Really don't want that dude with competent coaching  in the AFC East

Can't you see a team like the Steelers somehow swooping in?

I doubt they have the picks, but they may have the personnel.

The Jets will screw it up.

Dolphins, maybe not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

From a completely ignorant outsider perspective, I'd have hired Bienemy.  I really don't understand not giving the HC significant authority over players.  At the end of the day, he's really the cook and should have most of the say on the ingredients.  If he's not a good personnel man, he's probably not going to be much of a HC.

So long as the GM and HC communicate, are on the same page, and share the same vision/philosophy for the team, I don't see much reason why the HC must have a veto written into their contract. Let the coaches coach, and the front office worry about the scouting (with input from the coaching staff, don't get me wrong.)

It seems that most teams get into trouble by have a GM and coach that are at odds as to the direction of the team, devolving into power struggles and other fun and/or merriment. If there's some disagreement, that happens. If it's such that one or the other must pull rank, then someone needs to go.

7 minutes ago, Koko said:

So long as the GM and HC communicate, are on the same page, and share the same vision/philosophy for the team, I don't see much reason why the HC must have a veto written into their contract.)

After watching the Texans make trades, you really believe a HC shouldn't have the ability to say "No, you're not trading two firsts for Laramie friggin' Tunsil.  or "You're not trading Hopkins for the equivalent of a fake Elvis lithograph?"

I don't disagree with the mostly traditional roles but the Texans might trade Watson.  You're gonna take the coaching job knowing you might be quarterbackless going into your first season?  I don't blame Bienemy for standing his ground.  Not one bit.

36 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

After watching the Texans make trades, you really believe a HC shouldn't have the ability to say "No, you're not trading two firsts for Laramie friggin' Tunsil.  or "You're not trading Hopkins for the equivalent of a fake Elvis lithograph?"

I don't disagree with the mostly traditional roles but the Texans might trade Watson.  You're gonna take the coaching job knowing you might be quarterbackless going into your first season?  I don't blame Bienemy for standing his ground.  Not one bit.

Wasn't it their last HC who made those trades?

32 minutes ago, Koko said:

Wasn't it their last HC who made those trades?

Yup.  The Texans are going to pay dearly for a really long time for giving O'Brien all that leeway.  It's pretty clearly the least desirable HC position in the NFL and that means you're either going to get a lesser candidate or give one of the better ones more power than you'd like to.  That's the penance.

As I said earlier, if they trade Watson they'd better hit home run after home run with the return.