Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

AFC Championship Game: The Aftermath

Ann

27 minutes ago, Koko said:

I don't believe that anyone can really be disappointed in this season. Making the AFC Championship game is still a huge accomplishment. That said, however, it's been apparent all year that the Bills need to get better on both the Offensive Line and Defensive Line.

The O-Line is competent at pass blocking, but they've never really done well run blocking. Last night KC exposed them as pass blockers, and Josh couldn't get away. The Chiefs were ready for the Bills offense, and Daboll had no answers. With all the clutching and grabbing the Chiefs' DBs were getting away with, there wasn't one 'rub route' called all night. Nothing to try to get separation, and the run game was never a threat.

The D-Line couldn't get near Mahomes all night, and no one (but Romo) had an answer for Kelce. The Chiefs' O-Line was manhandling the Bills D-Line for most of the night.

Yep, I agree. We need to get tougher on both lines. I think we need to scrap the five db’s and 2 on package. Edmunds needs to hit the weight room and we need another starting lb to go with the pair we have. 

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

Yep, I agree. We need to get tougher on both lines. I think we need to scrap the five db’s and 2 on package. Edmunds needs to hit the weight room and we need another starting lb to go with the pair we have. 

Edmunds needs to hit the film room.  That dude looks totally lost on about half the plays he's on the field.  There was a play yesterday when both he and Milano blitzed.  The center moved left to pick up Milano, opening a straight A-gap shot right at Mahomes.   Edmunds hesitated at the snap (like he usually does) and then half committed to running right up Milano's ass. 

First down Chiefs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Edmunds needs to hit the film room.  That dude looks totally lost on about half the plays he's on the field.  There was a play yesterday when both he and Milano blitzed.  The center moved left to pick up Milano, opening a straight A-gap shot right at Mahomes.   Edmunds hesitated at the snap (like he usually does) and then half committed to running right up Milano's ass. 

First down Chiefs.

Was that the play he was jogging towards Mahomes?

Just now, GG1 said:

Was that the play he was jogging towards Mahomes?

No.  He never got out from behind Milano.   You could have driven a tractor trailer through the A-Gap hole Milano opened up for him.

Edited by Alaska Darin

7 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

No.  He never got out from behind Milano.   You could have driven a tractor trailer through the A-Gap hole Milano opened up for him.

Thx.  I have a feeling I won't enjoy All-22 this week.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

I think we arrived a year early though and with another year in the process, hopefully we can be what we all thought we might be this year.

Exactly right. This had 88 vs. Cincy written all over it even before the game was played. If you tried to convince me in September that the Bills would have 15 wins and in the AFC Championship, I'd have had you committed,.

My heart is undoubtedly heavy today. Much of it is muscle memory, so to speak. But the core for the team is in place, the needs are obvious, and the people running things have their shit together. Your receivers are going to get blanketed by good teams if they know you can't run. We need a Thurman. Both lines need bodies.

And if you really think this is peak Bills under this management, you haven't been paying attention. This team can absolutely beat the Chiefs if they address the holes. You will probably never stop them, but you sure as hell as keep up with them...if you fill the holes.

Go Bills. That was one helluva a freaking ride and I loved every minute of it.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 2

16 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Exactly right. This had 88 vs. Cincy written all over it even before the game was played. If you tried to convince me in September that the Bills would have 15 wins and in the AFC Championship, I'd have had you committed,.

My heart is undoubtedly heavy today. Much of it is muscle memory, so to speak. But the core for the team is in place, the needs are obvious, and the people running things have their shit together. Your receivers are going to get blanketed by good teams if they know you can't run. We need a Thurman. Both lines need bodies.

And if you really think this is peak Bills under this management, you haven't been paying attention. This team can absolutely beat the Chiefs if they address the holes. You will probably never stop them, but you sure as hell as keep up with them...if you fill the holes.

Go Bills. That was one helluva a freaking ride and I loved every minute of it.

I'd argue that the 1988 team was a bit better but the overall analysis is correct.  We have areas that we need to get better but our draft is as such we do not need to reach on players because of a big hole.  If the draft stock is nearly even from where we pick to say maybe pick number 50 it might allow us to trade back to pick up more picks.  Maybe a couple of value priced free agents.  If we could bring in 5 players plus retain most of our current roster we should be better for this coming season.

• Like 3

And one more thing to bitch about:  The National Anthem was a disgrace!  Played outside the stadium by some fuzz-head child with his/her guitar and amp snuggled up to some statue.  It was probably taped last Wednesday night!

At least the Chiefs had the moxie to come out of the locker room and stand silently while it wailed over the PA system.

Edited by Keukasmallie

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

I want KC to break both of Marcia's legs and send him to retirement  in two weeks.

I don't. But the "physical" way KC plays? I expect Marsha to have a difficult night.

24 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'd argue that the 1988 team was a bit better but the overall analysis is correct.  We have areas that we need to get better but our draft is as such we do not need to reach on players because of a big hole.  If the draft stock is nearly even from where we pick to say maybe pick number 50 it might allow us to trade back to pick up more picks.  Maybe a couple of value priced free agents.  If we could bring in 5 players plus retain most of our current roster we should be better for this coming season.

Another point is I doubt we are the only ones that see the trajectory.  It may be easier to attract top talent to fill a hole or two. Do they have the money for that? We shall see what magic Beane works.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

Another point is I doubt we are the only ones that see the trajectory.  It may be easier to attract top talent to fill a hole or two. Do they have the money for that? We shall see what magic Beane works.

Or good veterans looking to finally win before they retire.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

Players probably would offer a discount to have Allen, Diggs, White as teammates.  As said Beane will have to work the Bills budget pretty good to keep key players and sign free agents.

• Like 2

The loss was a bummer, but the moon has gone down and the sun has come up, and I feel good. I hope you guys do too.

After spending the better part of two decades just wishing we could sniff the playoffs, it was nice to go 13-3, win the division, and win not one, but two playoff games. 

Next year I may allow myself to be bummed about losing the conference championship, but not now. This was a good year and I'm thankful for it.

• Like 5
  • FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

Thx.  I have a feeling I won't enjoy All-22 this week.

Avert your eyes from Edmunds when you do watch.

I'm usually a wrongheaded supporter of his, but he was flat awful last night. 

I think it didn't help that (at least by all appearances) we had a bad defensive plan and didn't deviate from it when it was obvious that it was bad.  Should have stuck with the first game plan and let them run with a hurt Edwards-Hilaire and a third string Williams. And smack Kelce coming off the line just once or twice (or every time) please.  

On offense, it was obvious that once we spread them out, we gave them more trouble. I think all three of our starting WR's were dinged up.  Might as well throw a couple healthy bodies out there.  It certainly would have slowed down those Corner Blitzes KC kept throwing at us.  Could have at least used Singletary to help with pass protection and started slinging the ball more. Too little, too late.

Oh well.  Coulda shoulda woulda have done a lot of things different and we'd have hung close.  It might not even have taken us over the top against what's TODAY clearly a better team. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, snafu said:

Avert your eyes from Edmunds when you do watch.

I'm usually a wrongheaded supporter of his, but he was flat awful last night. 

We have to get a different inside backer and move Edmunds outside.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

We have to get a different inside backer and move Edmunds outside.

I was thinking about that last night when watching Edmunds fail miserably at trying to cover Kelce.  So I asked myself if moving him outside is even a good move.  At this moment, if I had to choose between keeping Edmunds and Milano, I'm keeping Milano.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I was thinking about that last night when watching Edmunds fail miserably at trying to cover Kelce.  So I asked myself if moving him outside is even a good move.  At this moment, if I had to choose between keeping Edmunds and Milano, I'm keeping Milano.

I'd love to keep Milano. He's gonna cost a fortune though. Can the Bills afford to keep him? <<< 2021 free agent thread

• Like 1