Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Brandon Beane Season Ending Press Conference 11am

Ann

6 hours ago, Ann said:

Ut oh... he's not looking at Singletary and Moss and thinking they came up short.

He was talking about a successful run game, and how it is more than just the running back.

Ugh.

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Confidence in Epenesa, Oliver, and Ford plus the likely return of Star L makes it more likely we go BPA available when it is our turn to draft.  Better than 50/50 chance that Barkley returns along with Lee Smith.  Maybe a stud MLB if he is there at 30.  

Sounds like maybe they tried to make Epenesa something he wasn't and now are going back the other way (beefing him up).

I am also all-in on Ford.  I never understood people jumping all over him while starting as a rookie.  To me he's the kind of tough, nasty player we need more of.  It's too bad he didn't get a chance to take a step forward this year.

39 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I am also all-in on Ford.  I never understood people jumping all over him while starting as a rookie.  To me he's the kind of tough, nasty player we need more of.  It's too bad he didn't get a chance to take a step forward this year.

I'm thinking Ford should probably stay at guard and forget the tackle experiment.

Still don't understand the confidence in Oliver. For a guy hyped as the next Aaron Donald, he's shown no such ability. And ford? Yikes. Epenesa I'll give a pass, he was overdrafted.

Edited by Joe

10 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

I'm thinking Ford should probably stay at guard and forget the tackle experiment.

Looks like Cody is going to settle in as G, even if it's questionable that we retain D Williams.  We never got to see the Trey Adams experience at RT in camp.  Will be interesting if he'll challenge for that spot this summer.

We're discussing the tough spot Bills will be in related to the reduced cap, but should also note that other teams will be against the same cap too.  Average 2021 cap space across the NFL as of now is $4.5 mil, and many teams will have much tougher decisions than Bills.   This is a crappy year to be a FA

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Still don't understand the confidence in Oliver. For a guy hyped as the next Aaron Donald, he's shown no such ability. And ford? Yikes. Epenesa I'll give a pass, he was overdrafted.

Hype is just that. Hype. If he was really the next Donald, he doesn't make it out of the top of the first round.

The NFL is littered with hyped-up players who took a few years for the game to come to them. In spite of what we want it to be, this simply isn't a game where players are going to have immediate impact just because a bunch of talking heads predicted it. 

My hope is that next year, fans will find a new whipping boy after seeing players like Ford and Edmunds hit a new level. I could be wrong, but since there's nothing I can do about it, my choice is to cheer and hope because the game is more fun to watch with cheer and hope than "Why aren't you great right now? Who's to blame for this shitty pick?"

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Hype is just that. Hype. If he was really the next Donald, he doesn't make it out of the top of the first round.

The NFL is littered with hyped-up players who took a few years for the game to come to them. In spite of what we want it to be, this simply isn't a game where players are going to have immediate impact just because a bunch of talking heads predicted it. 

My hope is that next year, fans will find a new whipping boy after seeing players like Ford and Edmunds hit a new level. I could be wrong, but since there's nothing I can do about it, my choice is to cheer and hope because the game is more fun to watch with cheer and hope than "Why aren't you great right now? Who's to blame for this shitty pick?"

A lot of times people lose perspective in these types of comparisons.

Nobody claimed that Oliver is the next Donald.  What gets lost in the translation was the HOPE and POSSIBILITY that Oliver could become a dominant player in the right scheme.  Many draftniks went out of their way to say that Donald should not be used as a comp for Oliver.

The other difference I look for is how do the players perform in the jobs they're supposed to do, and in this case, Oliver is asked to do much more than the requirement for 3T DT, which is taking on more double teams and pushing the pocket, because there was nobody on the team that could consistently do that as the NT/1T.   If anything, draft reports were clear that Oliver is not an NFL NT, despite playing that position in college.   To me that's different than asking the MLB to be more physical and have better reaction time, which are two key requirements for that particular position.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

A lot of times people lose perspective in these types of comparisons.

Nobody claimed that Oliver is the next Donald.  What gets lost in the translation was the HOPE and POSSIBILITY that Oliver could become a dominant player in the right scheme.  Many draftniks went out of their way to say that Donald should not be used as a comp for Oliver.

The other difference I look for is how do the players perform in the jobs they're supposed to do, and in this case, Oliver is asked to do much more than the requirement for 3T DT, which is taking on more double teams and pushing the pocket, because there was nobody on the team that could consistently do that as the NT/1T.   If anything, draft reports were clear that Oliver is not an NFL NT, despite playing that position in college.   To me that's different than asking the MLB to be more physical and have better reaction time, which are two key requirements for that particular position.  

So, essentially, Beane drafted two guys to play positions where they weren't suitable to play.

Ed strikes me as a guy who'd do better as a 3-4 DE than any kind of interior guy in a 4-3.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

So, essentially, Beane drafted two guys to play positions where they weren't suitable to play.

Ed strikes me as a guy who'd do better as a 3-4 DE than any kind of interior guy in a 4-3.

No, he was drafted to play next to a real 1T, not who he was playing next to this year.  Why do you think teams could single up on Butler/Jefferson and throw two guys at Ed?   Do you even watch the games?

• Cheers 1