Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

GME, Hedge Funds, Citadel and Reddit

Foxx

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

pretty damn good TBH. Again, I tend to stay in areas i know, or areas that i thought were major trends well before Covid. I have always been heavily invested in tech, especially in areas that I personally understand or companies that I know people at and can get some G2..so things like ServiceNow, Adobe, Apple, Coupa Okta ..been in things like cyrptos and blockchain for a few years thanks to  @Foxx, and been on the EV and solar bandwagon for at least two years.

Tax return sucks as always, but that is due to being W-2 employee...

Again, I am an invest and hold dude 

Regarding your taxes I have one question. Are you dabbling in individual stocks in your qualified or non-qualified account. PM if you want. 

Nouseforaname

There’s nothing wrong investing in individual stocks but we are in a market with an unprecedented run so returns will be heavily biased.  

Just now, Meazza said:

Oh and any news on gme and the revolution?

They moved on to saving AMC. The question is what happened to silver this past week? (Really don't know, so I am asking.)

Nouseforaname
3 hours ago, Ann said:

They moved on to saving AMC. The question is what happened to silver this past week? (Really don't know, so I am asking.)

Is that why AMC is down to $6?

Don't know what's happening with silver overall but it appears to be down week to date.

10 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Is that why AMC is down to $6?

Don't know what's happening with silver overall but it appears to be down week to date.

They were able to get financing to ward off bankruptcy. As they say, timing is everything.

Nouseforaname
7 hours ago, Ann said:

They were able to get financing to ward off bankruptcy. As they say, timing is everything.

So all this was to save AMC from bankruptcy?

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Regarding your taxes I have one question. Are you dabbling in individual stocks in your qualified or non-qualified account. PM if you want. 

mix of both...our taxes suck cause of w-2 income

14 hours ago, Ann said:

think that style of trade is gone..once they realizd AMC fixed their balance sheet selling into the rally, Koss family sold like $40M into the rally, huge funds made up losses selling into the rallys...once they realized all their money was just making fat cats money...the whole "stick it to the man "theme losses its luster.

And o BTW, Hedge funds crushed the GME trade as well...

Nouseforaname
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Sure, that’s exactly what I said. 🙄

Ok.  

Then what was the point of all this? A few funds got short squeezed and the little guy got caught holding the bag.

@Foxx promised a revolution 

4 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Ok.  

Then what was the point of all this? A few funds got short squeezed and the little guy got caught holding the bag.

Why don't you go ask on the reddit subforum what the point was? I had told you pages back what some of those guys were doing vis-à-vis GME. Maybe if you read it at the source you will have a better understanding?

25 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Ok.  

Lol. I don't know if that's what I did.

However, I do believe one is coming. Exactly how and when it will manifest is certainly open for debate.

Nouseforaname
23 minutes ago, Ann said:

Why don't you go ask on the reddit subforum what the point was? I had told you pages back what some of those guys were doing vis-à-vis GME. Maybe if you read it at the source you will have a better understanding?

Sorry, am i in the wrong place to discuss what happened with GME and WSB?  Everyone has an opinion until I ended up being right and now I have to go talk to a few shit heads in another forum to get my answers?

Edited by Meazza
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Sorry, am i in the wrong place to discuss what happened with GME and WSB?  Everyone has an opinion until I ended up being right and now I have to go talk to a few shit heads in another forum to get my answers?

Huh? We discussed this. I gave you my opinion as it was happening. You dismissed my opinion, and are still dismissing what people did, and why they did it. 

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with GameStop now that Robinhood is allowing trades again. It is up in aftermarket trading. (And, to refresh... I said I would not pay $5 for GameStop.)

16 hours ago, Ann said:

That was earlier in 2020 and had nothing to do with the end of January '21 run up.   The reddit mania allowed Silver Lake to convert is sub debt into equity at a hefty premium.   The bankruptcy risk is still there, albeit pushed out a bit longer.

People tend to ignore that while reddit bulls knocked off a few short sellers, they helped other hedge funds and private equity rake in a few billion in profits over the week.

35 minutes ago, GG1 said:

That was earlier in 2020 and had nothing to do with the end of January '21 run up.   The reddit mania allowed Silver Lake to convert is sub debt into equity at a hefty premium.   The bankruptcy risk is still there, albeit pushed out a bit longer.

People tend to ignore that while reddit bulls knocked off a few short sellers, they helped other hedge funds and private equity rake in a few billion in profits over the week.

Maybe this article  Is incorrect on the timeline?

19 minutes ago, Ann said:

Maybe this article  Is incorrect on the timeline?

This is the operative phrase from the CEO

“This means that any talk of an imminent bankruptcy for AMC is completely off the table,” said CEO Adam Aron.

The company was on the brink in 2020 and got a lifeline from investors.  The reddit crew allowed Silver Lake to cash out and remove some of the looming debt off the books.

$900 million gets them through 21 & 22, but doesn't come close to fixing $4 bn of debt and $5.5 bn of leases, for a company that's drained $2 bn in cash over 3 years.  Add the changing movie studio distribution model to shorten the release window or simultaneously offer streaming, tell me how AMC avoids bankruptcy over the next 3 years. 

Edited by GG1

Nouseforaname
2 hours ago, Ann said:

Huh? We discussed this. I gave you my opinion as it was happening. You dismissed my opinion, and are still dismissing what people did, and why they did it. 

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with GameStop now that Robinhood is allowing trades again. It is up in aftermarket trading. (And, to refresh... I said I would not pay $5 for GameStop.)

I didn't dismiss your opinion, I just predicted (correctly) that a few will get rich and a bunch of retail investors not really knowing what they are getting into will be stuck with a bag full of shit.

This was pushed as a revolution in this very thread when it was just another run of the mill viral moments that will be forgotten when the next event happens.

3 minutes ago, Meazza said:

I didn't dismiss your opinion, I just predicted (correctly) that a few will get rich and a bunch of retail investors not really knowing what they are getting into will be stuck with a bag full of shit.

This was pushed as a revolution in this very thread when it was just another run of the mill viral moments that will be forgotten when the next event happens.

For every winner there is a loser.  I am not certain anyone disagreed with that.

The dismissal was the why it was happening. I think (as I said prior) that it is difficult for those who are professionals in the industry to understand an emotional trade (why there was gasping when I said there was no exit strategy for some involved). Of course there were people who made money, saw the potential, yada yada. But there were more than a few who wanted to stick-it-to-the-man, protect GameStop, yada yada.

All that episode did was screw Robinhood, a few hedge funds, and make the hoity-toity screech that the unwashed can move markets, something they have considered only their province.

Will this happen again? Never say never, but with every investment firm, hedge fund, and stockbroker now watching wallstreetbets like a hawk? I doubt it. They should move to Gab. That would be hilarious to watch people hold their nose and sign up there simply to see what those people were up to.

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Because no one ever makes money buying stock.  They make money selling stock.  Because when you buy stock, you don't have money...you have stock.  

What about cash dividends?