Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Texans GM Nick Caserio: 'Zero interest' in trading Deshaun Watson

You Dirty Rat

It seemed strange to me that Watson would sign a giant new deal THEN want out. That was, until I realized it also included a no trade clause. He ALWAYS wanted out (and the money, of course), he just wanted some say in where he was going. 

This seems well played, but I still don’t know that he gets out of Houston and that’s fine with me. I realize Houston is a tire fire, but I’m not fond of the employee calling the shots. The NBA tends to be run too much by the players for my liking. A player dictating what time practice happens or when the plane leaves is sheer craziness and I hate to see football move in that direction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

A player dictating what time practice happens or when the plane leaves is sheer craziness and I hate to see football move in that direction. 

Alex Van Pelt had a great story from when he was a rookie QB. He had to pick Jim Kelly up  at home and take him to the airport to head to wherever for their next game. He gets there, Kelly invites him in, and isn't even close to being ready to go. When AVP said something about being late, Kelly laughed at him and said, "do you really think they're going to leave without me?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koko said:

Alex Van Pelt had a great story from when he was a rookie QB. He had to pick Jim Kelly up  at home and take him to the airport to head to wherever for their next game. He gets there, Kelly invites him in, and isn't even close to being ready to go. When AVP said something about being late, Kelly laughed at him and said, "do you really think they're going to leave without me?"

Yeah, I can believe that, sadly. I don’t LIKE it, but I can believe it.

The NBA lost me as a fan years ago, but they seem to be doing just fine. My curse of the Clippers (f/k/a the Braves) is even starting to fade due to my own neglect.  A good curse takes a lot of work to last.....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

The NBA tends to be run too much by the players for my liking. A player dictating what time practice happens or when the plane leaves is sheer craziness and I hate to see football move in that direction. 

There are still enough "old school" NFL owners to keep that from happening, I think.  They've watched the baseball player's Union win every bargaining agreement and NBA players take over running the asylum with a keen eye.  They begrudgingly gave a bit on the "woke stuff" and didn't at all like the results.  They're going to dig in pretty hard because they realize once the horse is out of the barn, you ain't ever getting it back.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Koko said:

Reminds me of a Bobby Bowden story. He told his team that they had to be on the plane at 9:15 or he would take off without any player no matter who it was that was late. 

9:15 comes and an assistant tells Bobby, “Deion Sanders isn’t here.” Bowden looks at his watch and says, “Well, I guess it isn’t 9:15 yet.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Why would I want to trade a huge amount to get a player who would do that to his team ??

Bart Scott is an idiot. Extolling what DeShaun 'should' do to get out of his contract. 

I guess it's all about loyalty, except when it comes to honoring a contract you signed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Why would I want to trade a huge amount to get a player who would do that to his team ??

I think with a lesser talent the answer would be "no one." But Watson is an excellent QB.  Will he be a headache in a future locker room? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

WHOA.

There's no way this can be true, is there? Where's Ditka?

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1366532729148477449

REPORT: One NFL Team Might Offer “Two Entire Drafts” To Texans For Deshaun Watson

... “I DON’T EXPECT FREE AGENCY TO MOVE ANYTHING HERE,” FOWLER SAID. “SPEAKING TO SEVERAL PEOPLE AROUND THE LEAGUE, IT’S MORE THE NFL DRAFT IN LATE APRIL THAT COULD MOVE THE TEXANS. I SPOKE TO ONE GM THAT SAID HE EXPECTS THE TEAM TO THROW ITS ENTIRE DRAFT OR TWO ENTIRE DRAFTS AT HOUSTON IN THE LATE HOURS OF THE DRAFT SAYING ‘HERE, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL IF I CAN HAVE YOUR QUARTERBACK.’ PERHAPS THAT WILL FINALLY MOVE THE TEXANS TO DO SOMETHING.” ...

• Wow 2

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

WHOA.

REPORT: One NFL Team Might Offer “Two Entire Drafts” To Texans For Deshaun Watson

... “I DON’T EXPECT FREE AGENCY TO MOVE ANYTHING HERE,” FOWLER SAID. “SPEAKING TO SEVERAL PEOPLE AROUND THE LEAGUE, IT’S MORE THE NFL DRAFT IN LATE APRIL THAT COULD MOVE THE TEXANS. I SPOKE TO ONE GM THAT SAID HE EXPECTS THE TEAM TO THROW ITS ENTIRE DRAFT OR TWO ENTIRE DRAFTS AT HOUSTON IN THE LATE HOURS OF THE DRAFT SAYING ‘HERE, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL IF I CAN HAVE YOUR QUARTERBACK.’ PERHAPS THAT WILL FINALLY MOVE THE TEXANS TO DO SOMETHING.” ...

Seems a little late to bargain your draft away. 

26 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I’d rather have Josh... it’s good to be a Bills fan. 

Abs - so - lute - lee

• Like 1

4merper4mer
3 hours ago, Foxx said:

WHOA.

Any guesses what team might do that?

Given team strengths, weaknesses, and draft capital my guess would be that the GM in question is Lynch.  Just a guess.

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Any guesses what team might do that?

Given team strengths, weaknesses, and draft capital my guess would be that the GM in question is Lynch.  Just a guess.

The Texans? I hear they are real casual with them. Maybe they trade them to San Fran for the rights to DeShaun.

Alaska Darin

That would be a very Jetsy move.  Not sure why Watson would want that but it's an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

That would be a very Jetsy move.  Not sure why Watson would want that but it's an interesting discussion.

Especially if the Jets are stupid enough to give up all their picks this year, let alone their picks for next year.

Silly season...

McClain: Here's an idea, trade Deshaun Watson for Kyler Murray

</snip>

As long as the Houston-to-Phoenix pipeline is flowing, once Texans general manager Nick Caserio decides to listen to trade offers, he should contact his Arizona counterpart, Steve Keim, to discuss a Watson-for-Kyler Murray trade.

</snip>

Kingsbury, Keim and owner Michael Bidwill love Murray, and they would swear to the high heavens Murray wasn’t going anywhere, but considering Watson is a better, more established quarterback, they would be doing the team a disservice if they didn’t even listen to Caserio.

Or perhaps it’s the other way around — Keim is one of those general managers calling Caserio about a possible trade.

Murray would squawk about leaving an up-and-coming team in Arizona, his home for the last two seasons, but it would allow him to return to his home state and become the centerpiece of the Texans’ rebuild, a role Watson wants no part of but someone has to accept, right? Right? Uh, right?

</snip>

Before Caserio would consider a Watson-for-Murray trade, which would have to cost the Cardinals more than the quarterback, he would have to make sure of something vitally important -- that Murray wouldn’t join the Oakland A’s rather than play for the Texans.

</snip>