Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Foxx

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Ann said:

I recall that NE game. I swore the Bills were gonna win the division after crushing the **Patriots that game (31-0) ... le sigh

That was such a great game and it really looked like the BILLS were finally not going to suck.  That roster was MUCH better than its record.  Greggo was such a meathead.

I part I loved most about that play was London Fletcher just clobbering one of the *Patriots' Olinemen during the return.  Completely unnecessary because the guy had zero chance of making a play but it was the *Patriots...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hedge said:

Reading about his career, unless he has improved, I just don't see him making the team.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, B-Man said:

Reading about his career, unless he has improved, I just don't see him making the team.

Well, you have to remember to account for the exchange rate. 6'3" 327 pounds Canadian is like 5'8" 176 pounds American.

Alaska Darin
On 6/22/2021 at 7:21 AM, Ann said:

While the analytics may "overall" be true, the eye test in far too many games says otherwise.  If the Godfather thought we were fine, we wouldn't have spent the draft capital we did because we'd be addressing a problem we don't have. 

While my memory of the entire season isn't deeply detailed, the only game against a top QB where we really got great pressure was Seattle.  We beat the hell out of Russell Wilson and it was glorious.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

While the analytics may "overall" be true, the eye test in far too many games says otherwise.  If the Godfather thought we were fine, we wouldn't have spent the draft capital we did because we'd be addressing a problem we don't have. 

While my memory of the entire season isn't deeply detailed, the only game against a top QB where we really got great pressure was Seattle.  We beat the hell out of Russell Wilson and it was glorious.

Exactly.

And yes, the Seattle game might have been the most purely enjoyable (other than maybe the Miami blowout) game of the season.

• Like 2

A good Cover 1 article.

IT’S TIME FOR ED OLIVER TO EMERGE AS A GAME-WRECKER FOR BILLS’ 2021 DEFENSE

Through two seasons, Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Ed Oliver has left fans wanting more. Throughout his collegiate career at Houston, Oliver was always the best player on the field and general manager Brandon Beane envisioned the 2017 Outland Trophy winner bringing that juice to the Bills’ defense. While Oliver has been a good, but not great player thus far, all signs point to the 23-year old breaking out in 2021 and taking Buffalo’s defense to the next level. ...

... Entering 2020, things were looking bright for Oliver. However, when fellow defensive tackle Star Lotulelei opted out due to COVID-19, his role changed drastically and resulted in some struggles. Oliver was forced into playing nose tackle early in the season, a role that completely negated everything that makes him special as a player.

Instead of being asked to knife between guards and tackles in one-on-one matchups, Oliver was now tasked with using his small frame to eat up double teams and hold the point of attack. According to Sports Info Solutions, Oliver played head up over the center in a zero-technique, or aligned between the center and guard in a one-technique alignment on 129 of his defensive snaps. ...

... During minicamp, head coach Sean McDermott bluntly stated that it’s time for Oliver to put it all together and emerge as a consistent playmaker.

“It’s to affect the game,” McDermott said of his expectations for Oliver. “He’s a top pick. He’s here to affect the quarterback, affect the game, and this will be an opportunity for him to develop into a consistent performer for us. I really appreciate the way he’s worked, I think his offseason to this point has put him in position to do what I just mentioned, but again the work remains, and there’s a lot of work to be done.”

There certainly is a lot of work for Oliver to put in. He needs to get better with his counter moves, as he can struggle to redirect with power or a bullrush if his initial speed rush is negated by an offensive lineman. Oliver is capable of playing with power, but it’s something he needs to work into his repertoire on a more regular basis. Developing second, or even third moves in a sequence is a common issue for many young defensive linemen, who often relied on a single move to defeat their competition in college, and even sometimes early in their NFL careers. Defensive line coach Eric Washington and coordinator Leslie Frazier obviously know that speed and quickness are Oliver’s bread and butter, and should be able to put him in positions to win with that ability consistently this season. ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

“It’s to affect the game,” McDermott said of his expectations for Oliver. “He’s a top pick. He’s here to affect the quarterback, affect the game, and this will be an opportunity for him to develop into a consistent performer for us. I really appreciate the way he’s worked, I think his offseason to this point has put him in position to do what I just mentioned, but again the work remains, and there’s a lot of work to be done.”

My favorite thing about McDermott is how he supports his players while still offering blunt assessment of what they need to do.  He makes it clear that everyone is accountable. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1