Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills: Free agent Matt Milano looking for ‘top dollar’ in free agency

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

th?id=OIP.znhzA3-fVwqCe-zwkmjDxwHaEK&pid

“Per source, Milano is looking for top-dollar at his position,”  writes Verderame. “Although he’s without Pro Bowl or All-Pro accolades, Milano has been a playmaker and culture-maker. The fourth-year man has racked up 101 tackles in 2019 and then 3.5 sacks and win hits in 2020, while providing quality coverage. He’ll have a strong market.”

Retaining Milano could be a challenge

Milano is cashing in at the right time after being a standout on the Bills defense. Even Beane has mentioned on the team’s official website that he’d like to have Milano, one of his first draft picks as Bills general manager in 2017, back on the team for the foreseeable future. However, Beane notes that Milano’s “earned the right to go to free agency and see what his market bears.”

https://fansided.com/2021/02/01/bills-free-agent-matt-milano-looking-top-dollar-free-agency/

Edited by Norm
  • Like 2

I'll repost this here:

I doubt the Bills can afford to keep him:

Link to article

<snip>

In the latest Stacking the Box column, FanSided’s national NFL reporter Matt Verderame has heard from a source that linebacker Matt Milano is looking for “top dollar” in free agency.

“Per source, Milano is looking for top-dollar at his position,”  writes Verderame. “Although he’s without Pro Bowl or All-Pro accolades, Milano has been a playmaker and culture-maker. The fourth-year man has racked up 101 tackles in 2019 and then 3.5 sacks and win hits in 2020, while providing quality coverage. He’ll have a strong market.”

</snip>

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't blame him.  This is going to be his big kick at the can.  I wish him luck wherever he lands.

There are always players who look at how their teammates are treated by management, so it's my hope that, even in losing him, his teammates understand the restrictions of the lower salary cap and don't personalize it.

• Like 2

Highest Paid NFL linebackers:

• 1. Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner: $18 million
  • 2. Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley: $17 million
  • 3. Texans linebacker Zack Cunningham: $14.5 million
  • 4. Jaguars linebacker Myles Jack: $14.3 million
  • 5. Falcons linebacker Deion Jones: $14.3 million
  • 6. Panthers linebacker Shaq Thompson: $13.54 million
  • 7. Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr: $13.5 million
  • 8. Saints linebacker Kwon Alexander: $13.5 million
  • 9. Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith: $12.75 million
  • 10. Raiders linebacker Cory Littleton: $11.75 million

I think it's VERY hard to argue that any of them are worth that high a percentage of the salary cap.  I really like Milano (he's one of my favorite BILLS) but paying him $13M-$18M a year is a fool's errand.  Unless you're a pass rushing demon, linebacker is a position much like running back.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think it's VERY hard to argue that any of them are worth that high a percentage of the salary cap.  I really like Milano (he's one of my favorite BILLS) but paying him $13M-$18M a year is a fool's errand.  Unless you're a pass rushing demon, linebacker is a position much like running back.

Don’t want to see him go, but if he does I hope he goes to the NFC. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 1

Well then I say good luck to him in the future.

I've watched every play of those four years, he's a "good" player, 

but for every good play there is also one of him being blown downfield

Along with his frequent injuries and the need to pay several others, I say that we ,move on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I'll repost this here:

I doubt the Bills can afford to keep him:

Link to article

<snip>

In the latest Stacking the Box column, FanSided’s national NFL reporter Matt Verderame has heard from a source that linebacker Matt Milano is looking for “top dollar” in free agency.

</snip>

that source sounds like his agent

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Especially for a guy who's been, how to say this, less than durable in his career.

• Like 2

In the NFL are contracts with incentives for exceeding milestones allowed?

If so, wonder if he' go for a contract that gives him $9MM for 10 games or less & an additional $1MM/ game.  (Which would make him one of the highest paid guys for playing all 17.)

Maybe not those #'s specifically, but something similar if it's allowed under the CBA.

Something about Beane’s comments a week ago made me think we’ve seen the last of Milano, but will remain hopeful they can work something out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Something about Beane’s comments a week ago made me think we’ve seen the last of Milano, but will remain hopeful they can work something out.

I think I'm ok with that.

If he was more durable I'd have second thoughts, but he's not.

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

In the NFL are contracts with incentives for exceeding milestones allowed?

If so, wonder if he' go for a contract that gives him $9MM for 10 games or less & an additional $1MM/ game.  (Which would make him one of the highest paid guys for playing all 17.)

Maybe not those #'s specifically, but something similar if it's allowed under the CBA.

The CBA splits contract incentives between likely to be earned and unlikely to be earned.   The former are counted vs the cap as if in the contract.   If a player hits all incentives, then the overage counts against the cap in the following year

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, GG1 said:

The CBA splits contract incentives between likely to be earned and unlikely to be earned.   The former are counted vs the cap as if in the contract.   If a player hits all incentives, then the overage counts against the cap in the following year

So, in Milano's case, a games played clause would be considered an "unlikely to be earned" one, right?  Seems like the perfect solution if he'd go for it.  😉

• Haha 1