Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Josh Allen and the QB Room

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

The Bears are really messed up. Their FO was probably OD-ing on thick steaks and heavy sides all washed down with gallons of martinis and Gibsons at their self-congratulatory dinner party to celebrate their eminent drafting of their “franchise” quarterback. 

It’s how they approached his professional development too. FUBAR!

• Like 1

NFL Rumors: 'Sneaky' Buzz Around Bills' Josh Allen to Win 2021 NFL MVP Award by Execs

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen finished second in NFL MVP voting last year, and it's garnered him more respect from executives around the league heading into the 2021 season.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported Sunday on SportsCenter that Allen's dual-threat ability has made him a popular MVP prediction among execs ahead of next week's season-opening home game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Highmark Stadium:

"There's some sneaky MVP buzz around Josh Allen right now because I've informally polled some execs around the league about who they think is going to win the award. Allen's name has come up a lot because this is a guy who's in a great offense, a team in contention. I'm hearing Allen has been a lot better at mastering the nuances of the game, the pre-snap protections, all those things you need to win at the quarterback position. And he's going to have the ball in his hands more than Luka Doncic. This is a guy that they're either going to pass or run, probably more than 700 times or around there this year. So, he's set up to potentially win it. I'm sure Patrick Mahomes and those gentlemen will have something to say about that, though."

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If this doesn't sum up 17 years of playoff drought and how badly Brady owned the Bills. This is one sad stat.

Lost in Sunday's game:

Josh Allen finally passed Tom Brady for the most #QBWins in Ralph/New Era/Highmark since Brady entered into the league.

qb.jpg.16396fcecf71656531ddd2ae03e8c358.jpg

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

If this doesn't sum up 17 years of playoff drought and how badly Brady owned the Bills. This is one sad stat.

Lost in Sunday's game:

Josh Allen finally passed Tom Brady for the most #QBWins in Ralph/New Era/Highmark since Brady entered into the league.

qb.jpg.16396fcecf71656531ddd2ae03e8c358.jpg

Ouch...

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Wow

wow.jpg.99dd4581517141c073b1736281982be3.jpg

When the Bills drafted Fromm, I watched his highlight reel. I was blown away by the good job he did at hitting his receivers in perfect stride. I was very pro-Fromm after watching that video! But his critics made the argument he'd regressed in his senior year. So, I picked a game at random from his senior season and watched it. In that game he looked like JAG. He didn't do anything special to help his team win the game, nor did he do anything stupid to push his team towards a loss. Very generic and replaceable. How did he do on passes to moving targets? There weren't any. It was as though his offensive coordinator had designed an offense for a QB who couldn't hit moving targets, then chose to roll with that offense in complete disregard to the QB he actually had.

By far Fromm's biggest strength is his ability to hit moving targets in perfect stride; and the offense best-suited to capitalize on that strength is the West Coast offense. The Bills don't employ a West Coast offense, so he wasn't necessarily going to look as good here as he might have with some other teams. Upon arrival, he was a rookie quarterback learning to play in the NFL. You'd think that part of that learning process would involve throwing the football to other human beings. The Bills apparently saw things differently, and separated him from the rest of the team so that he could be an emergency Corona quarterback. I get why they did that, but it came at the expense of Fromm's development.

I'd like to see him get a real shot to have a career somewhere. The Giants wouldn't have been the team I'd have chosen for him, but at least he's on someone's 53 man roster.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the article:

</snip>

Four years removed from being the second overall pick in the NFL draft, Trubisky had landed in Buffalo as the backup quarterback for the Bills. His first priority was being prepared in case something were to happen to franchise quarterback Josh Allen. But from there, Trubisky also often took on the role of scout team quarterback, dedicating himself to getting the defense ready for whoever they faced that week.

“I try to impersonate that quarterback a little bit to get the defense the best look as possible,” Trubisky said. “I'll even watch a little film on the quarterback throughout the week, just so I could really give our deep our defense a great look.”

He studied their body language, how they used their eyes, their footwork. He wanted to mimic them as closely as possible, on top of taking care of studying the opposing defense, preparing should he be needed on offense.

It’s not unheard of for a scout team quarterback to take those extra steps, but for Trubisky, who started 50 games in four years with the Chicago Bears, it was a far cry from his past.

With the Bills' season over, and Trubisky set to become an unrestricted free agent, he and the team will see how his one season in Buffalo will help determine what's next. He spent 20 weeks slipping on and off the traits of other starting quarterbacks, impersonating different QB1s again and again. He hopes to one day shed those scouting reports and step back onto the field as a starter, more confident in himself than ever before.

“I think every quarterback’s goal is to be a starter and be the best quarterback you could possibly be,” Trubisky told The News earlier this month. “So that's definitely the end goal. But right now, it's different just having tunnel vision to finish the season strong.”

</snip>

Frazier said he saw the quarterback’s maturation most on Fridays, when the Bills run a no-huddle period, and Trubisky and the scout team went up against the defense. Watching Trubisky operate unscripted and take what the defense presented, Frazier saw growth.

“The way he comes to practice every day, you wouldn't know that he's not a starter currently in the league or the fact that he was a former starter,” Frazier said.

</snip>

The defense finished No. 1 in the league in yards and points allowed. The conversations helped him, too. Trubisky believes he’s learned a lot about defenses, seeing the game from a new perspective.

The uprooting was refreshing in other ways. He found it helpful to see how another franchise operates, noting the efficiency of the way the Bills ran meetings.

</snip>

“It's a lot less restricted than what I've been in in the past,” Trubisky said. “The quarterback has a lot more freedom to make checks, go where he wants with the ball, exploiting matchups and getting the optimal play for this team. So it's been a really fun offense to learn, and I feel like it's really quarterback friendly once you get it down.”

</snip>

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ann said:

</snip>

The defense finished No. 1 in the league in yards and points allowed. The conversations helped him, too. Trubisky believes he’s learned a lot about defenses, seeing the game from a new perspective.

The uprooting was refreshing in other ways. He found it helpful to see how another franchise operates, noting the efficiency of the way the Bills ran meetings.

</snip>

“It's a lot less restricted than what I've been in in the past,” Trubisky said. “The quarterback has a lot more freedom to make checks, go where he wants with the ball, exploiting matchups and getting the optimal play for this team. So it's been a really fun offense to learn, and I feel like it's really quarterback friendly once you get it down.”

</snip>

Really, really good stuff here.  Franchise altering reputation (imagine Ralph Wilson's BILLS and the word "efficient" in the same sentence).

Anyone really want Matt Nagy after reading that last paragraph?  Trubisky is an excellent athlete.  Not showcasing that nor trusting him is the equivalent of keeping a thoroughbred in a paddock.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Really, really good stuff here.  Franchise altering reputation (imagine Ralph Wilson's BILLS and the word "efficient" in the same sentence).

Anyone really want Matt Nagy after reading that last paragraph?  Trubisky is an excellent athlete.  Not showcasing that nor trusting him is the equivalent of keeping a thoroughbred in a paddock.

Bills need to stay away from the arrogant guy, who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room

• Like 1