Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Josh Allen and the QB Room

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

1 hour ago, Ann said:

wow

We’ll, maybe he wants to actually have a chance to get some playing time. Lord knows there’s not a lot of opportunity for that in Buffalo. 

57 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Have we heard anything about where Mitch might go ?

Free agency starts March 16th at 4pm, contact and negotiations start March 14th (legal tampering).

• 2 weeks later...

article

</snip>

"Going to Buffalo really opened my eyes,” Trubisky said. “After being in Chicago for four years, there was only one way I knew how to do things. [Being] in Buffalo and [having] a different way of doing things, you learn what’s possible. It helped me get back to instinctual football and using my talents rather than overthinking.”

To that end, Trubisky added that you can’t be afraid to make mistakes when playing QB.

“When guys are playing free, you can be at your best,” Trubisky said. “I wanted to learn how [the Bills] helped Josh, and I saw that firsthand.”

</snip>

• Like 2

Trubisky's agent must be out there getting him interviews. This one is from ESPN:

</snip>

The way safety Jordan Poyer saw it, Trubisky was too good to be a scout-team quarterback. And after watching Trubisky layer over-route passes out of a defensive backs' range in practice, he reached a conclusion: The Bills' backup QB should still start in the league.

"One thousand percent," Poyer said.

The Bills believe he'll get that chance, and Trubisky believes he improved greatly during his one-year stint in the AFC, which deepens the intrigue for a free agent whose resolve was tested in Chicago.

</snip>

Comparing Trubisky to draftmates Deshaun Watson and Mahomes is well-worn terrain. But teams are open to the notion that Trubisky's story as a productive NFL quarterback -- he is 29-21 as a starter -- is not complete. A few NFL execs told me his traits and pedigree should result in a real opportunity. The Commanders, Panthers and Giants (reuniting him with former Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll as competition for Daniel Jones) are among spots that could work.

"I could see him going to a situation where he can be a starting option and the team drafts a quarterback," an AFC exec said. "He'll have to go out there and earn it, but there's certainly enough there where the right offense can accommodate him. The offense in Chicago was pretty rigid and on-script, and I'm not sure it suited him."

</snip>

Trubisky entered 2021 free agency wanting to play in the short term but taking the long view. The two options were signing with a team that might offer a chance to play, or going somewhere to learn for a year, refine his game and enter 2022 free agency a better quarterback. A phone conversation with Daboll convinced him to pursue the latter path, and that a step back can lead to two steps forward. Daboll relayed that he experienced that in his own coaching career by not always jumping at the first chance to call plays. Daboll spent two different four-year stints with Bill Belichick in New England before becoming the Bills' offensive coordinator -- and now the Giants' head coach.

</snip>

Trubisky saw Allen, Daboll and quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey -- now Buffalo's offensive coordinator -- in lockstep throughout the week, from scripting plays to making gameday adjustments.

"One thing Josh showed [Trubisky] is it's OK to freelance a little bit, use your athleticism and instincts," said Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane, who agrees Trubisky is poised for another chance. "I think he will take that with him."

As Trubisky describes it, going through progressions is necessary for any quarterback, but it's also not always as simple as "1-2-3 and make the throw." Escaping the pocket and playing smart -- but not conservative -- can be just as crucial.

</snip>

"Mitch has been through the ringer," Allen said. "No. 2 pick, how he handled being a professional, coming into a situation where you never thought you'll be in that situation, that's not easy. But he handled it with such class."

Allen added, "The dude is an athlete. I don't think people really understand that. You give him leeway in an offense to have that mindset of, 'See it, do it, we trust you.' He's going to kill it."

</snip>

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I hope MT goes to the NFC - because he's got the tools to be great if he's in the right situation.

I would love for him to become an elite QB in the NFL and throw that shit right in the Bears' collective faces. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I hope MT goes to the NFC - because he's got the tools to be great if he's in the right situation.

I would love for him to become an elite QB in the NFL and throw that shit right in the Bears' collective faces. 

I'm genuinely happy for him, that he got the chance to "reset" in Buffalo.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I'm genuinely happy for him, that he got the chance to "reset" in Buffalo.  

Yep.  Hope the change of scenery and a break from the pressure of starting is what he needed.  There should be at least a handful of teams interested in Trubisky.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Core Four said:

Yep.  Hope the change of scenery and a break from the pressure of starting is what he needed.  There should be at least a handful of teams interested in Trubisky.

And if he can't find the right situation, he is more than welcome back in Buffalo

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Deranged Rhino
6 hours ago, Ann said:

qb.jpg.a08599215b9afd751ca310d6d15cdc19.jpg

Please stay out of the AFC, Mitch. I like the idea of going to Washington if it means Fitz comes home. 

Part of me doesn't understand how the Bills got Trubisky on a 1-and-done deal. I suspect it was the only deal MT would take, but it's too bad they couldn't work a wink-wink-handshake deal that they'll let him out if he gets signed someone where...but also allowing the Bills get a pick for him.

This is the part of the game I don't understand. It just sucks that they gave him a chance to reset, and don't get the benefits beyond the role he played last year.