Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sabres '20?- '21 season - Kreuger's Replacement?

GG1

I love cap friendly's site for NHL rosters.  For some reason it is easy for me to see what line combos we have, D pairings, too.  It is easy to see what young talent there may be lurking.  It is also easy to see the glaring hole at goaltender.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Okposo is an albatross who ties up a lot of $$ for years to come.

Middlestadt is considered a 10.2(c) player.  I don't know what the deadlines are with the new season, etc., but I found this interesting.  Did they offer him in time?  Is he a UFA? With him, does it really matter?

What is a 10.2(c) player?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, snafu said:

I love cap friendly's site for NHL rosters.  For some reason it is easy for me to see what line combos we have, D pairings, too.  It is easy to see what young talent there may be lurking.  It is also easy to see the glaring hole at goaltender.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Middlestadt is considered a 10.2(c) player.  I don't know what the deadlines are with the new season, etc., but I found this interesting.  Did they offer him in time?  Is he a UFA? With him, does it really matter?

What is a 10.2(c) player?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA.

Mittelstadt remains an unsigned player that the Sabres control the exclusive rights of.  He & Pilut did recieve QAs.  The only RFA of consequence that didn't receive a QA was Kahun.

And to put 10.2(c) status in English, those players are guys who are coming off ELC's & are too young (signed their ELC at 24 or younger) to qualify for even RFA status.   The team needs to offer the player a QO to keep their exclusive rights to negotiate with that player.

Edited by Taro T
  • FANtastic 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, snafu said:

GMTM wanted to sign the number 1 FA that off season (Stamkos) but ended up settling for the distant number 2 on Okposo.  The deal never made sense but GMTM loved the big splashes.

I'm curious to see if Vegas ends up in the same situation with Pietrangelo, though defensemen do tend to age better than scoring wingers.

Edited by Alaska Darin

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

GMTM wanted to sign the number 1 FA that off season (Stamkos) but ended up settling for the distant number 2 on Okposo.  The deal never made sense but GMTM loved the big splashes.

I'm curious to see if Vegas ends up in the same situation with Pietrangelo, though defensemen do tend to agree better than scoring wingers.

Do they though? I feel like the bigger guys hit the wall quicker... other than that freak of nature Chara

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Do they though? I feel like the bigger guys hit the wall quicker... other than that freak of nature Chara

Petro isn't the most physical guy,  especially in the regular season.   He plays more of a thinking man's game.   I don't blame the BLUES for not tying up that kinda coin for that number of years for a guy on the wrong side of 30.

45 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Petro isn't the most physical guy,  especially in the regular season.   He plays more of a thinking man's game.   I don't blame the BLUES for not tying up that kinda coin for that number of years for a guy on the wrong side of 30.

Yeah, I don’t mean to suggest that he’s a big physical player, but I’m always going to wonder with any d-man over the average height. It looks like he’s been fortunate and hasn’t missed much time over the years. But like you said, that’s a big investment for a guy who will be 31 in January.

I was going to suggest he had a little extra mileage on him as I thought he made the jump to the NHL right away, but it looks like he did spend the first two years in juniors. I must have been thinking of Doughty from that same draft. 

On 11/19/2020 at 2:06 PM, Taro T said:

Don't have a Canadian VPN.  Can you give a cliff notes version of what he said?

NHLPA signed off on extension in June that gave concessions on salary deferrals / escrow for 20/21.  NHL now asking for more.  Many teams with liquidity issues.  NHLPA not saying no yet, but with season target start date of Jan 1st, a deal needs to be struck soon. LeBrun saying by December 1st.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NCBillsFan said:

NHLPA signed off on extension in June that gave concessions on salary deferrals / escrow for 20/21.  NHL now asking for more.  Many teams with liquidity issues.  NHLPA not saying no yet, but with season target start date of Jan 1st, a deal needs to be struck soon. LeBrun saying by December 1st.

They did.  But even that agreement acknowledged that there might be the need for additional "individual" deferments in the MOU.  Seems like they're headed off towards their worst case scenarios for reopening so it isn't completely unexpected that the league is asking for additional deferment on a collective rather than individualized basis.  Will be interesting to see what the players ask will be in order to give the owners their requested deferrals.

23 hours ago, Taro T said:

They did.  But even that agreement acknowledged that there might be the need for additional "individual" deferments in the MOU.  Seems like they're headed off towards their worst case scenarios for reopening so it isn't completely unexpected that the league is asking for additional deferment on a collective rather than individualized basis.  Will be interesting to see what the players ask will be in order to give the owners their requested deferrals.

NHLPA has to realize the financial bind that many owners are in.  NHL isn't populated by the mega rich, and even the formerly spendthrift Pegulas got hit very hard by 2020.  I think that things at PSG are far worse than many people realize.

55 minutes ago, Koko said:

The team on paper is definitely better than they were last year, but goaltending could still sink them.

Still expecting Adams makes a move to upgrade the goaltending before the RS opens.  If that happens they should be a legit playoff team barring significant injuries.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:44 PM, Taro T said:

The team on paper is definitely better than they were last year, but goaltending could still sink them.

Still expecting Adams makes a move to upgrade the goaltending before the RS opens.  If that happens they should be a legit playoff team barring significant injuries.

Still hoping they find a way to land Kuemper.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 3:44 PM, Taro T said:

If Hutton gives them at  least .500, then they should sneak in easily. 

It's going to be interesting to see how Boston does without Krug and possibly Chara.  That's a lot of quality blue line minutes to find.

7 hours ago, GG1 said:

If Hutton gives them at  least .500, then they should sneak in easily. 

True.  But if he's down around an 0.87 S% like he was for much of last year, he won't come anywhere close to that.

Yes, the eye issue is apparently corrected, but he fell off the previous year too.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

True.  But if he's down around an 0.87 S% like he was for much of last year, he won't come anywhere close to that.

Yes, the eye issue is apparently corrected, but he fell off the previous year too.

I’m wondering if the eye issue was the problem previous year too?  

7 minutes ago, GG1 said:

I’m wondering if the eye issue was the problem previous year too?  

He was playing through a leg injury that year.

• Like 1

Hitbyaparkedcar
On 10/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, GG1 said:

Is this finally a playoff team?

Yes, I believe they are. Then again, I tend to believe that even when they're obviously a soup sandwich... however, I think they're a real sandwich this year 😁

Hitbyaparkedcar
On 10/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, GG1 said:

Is this finally a playoff team?

Yes, I believe they are. Then again, I tend to believe that even when they're obviously a soup sandwich... however, I think they're a real sandwich this year 😁