Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Super Bowl Viewership Drops To Multi-Decade Low For NFL

Ann

14 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

is there speculation why that is? Counter intuitive to me..one would thing people are home more, they would watch more sports.

Having said that, i watched zero the NBA and NHL in the summer, and i usually watched both every day during the playoffs if i was home for last 5 years or so.

I watch little NBA regular season outside of the Wizards...and they stink so watching zero NBA.

And so far this year only watched Sabre games...so no NHL for me since last weekend

You’d think so but my guess is the pandemic accelerated cord cutting and increased streaming so live events aren’t as in demand as they used to be.  This is more  pronounced among the youngins which is a more ominous sign for the future.

If you work from home in front of a monitor all day maybe you don’t feel like watching a three hour game on tv that night.  

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You’d think so but my guess is the pandemic accelerated cord cutting and increased streaming so live events aren’t as in demand as they used to be.  This is more  pronounced among the youngins which is a more ominous sign for the future.

If you work from home in front of a monitor all day maybe you don’t feel like watching a three hour game on tv that night.  

It’s probably a combination of all those things and more. The lockdowns have had a cascading effect on fandom. No more bars to go to and watch the games, as an example. More to your point, most could probably talk themselves into watching the game even after a long day of looking at screens if they could watch it at a bar with their friends and booze. 

Apropos of nothing: the entertainment industry as a whole out here is preparing for life after lucrative sports licensing and the fees they generate. They were doing it a bit before ‘Rona, but in the last year it’s gone into overdrive. 

I thought I was being overly eager predicting the end of network tv (which has always used live sports to make themselves ratings monsters who can charge juicy fees for ad time) would be in the early ‘30s. But now I’m thinking I am going to be waaaay off the other way. 

The next round of TV contract talks, which I think is next year if not this (?), should be really interesting. 

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It’s probably a combination of all those things and more. The lockdowns have had a cascading effect on fandom. No more bars to go to and watch the games, as an example. More to your point, most could probably talk themselves into watching the game even after a long day of looking at screens if they could watch it at a bar with their friends and booze. 

Apropos of nothing: the entertainment industry as a whole out here is preparing for life after lucrative sports licensing and the fees they generate. They were doing it a bit before ‘Rona, but in the last year it’s gone into overdrive. 

I thought I was being overly eager predicting the end of network tv (which has always used live sports to make themselves ratings monsters who can charge juicy fees for ad time) would be in the early ‘30s. But now I’m thinking I am going to be waaaay off the other way. 

The next round of TV contract talks, which I think is next year if not this (?), should be really interesting. 

Ninety six million plus is still a lot of fricken people.  The conference finals averaged 44.3 million viewers.  The regular season games averaged 15.3 million viewers.  For comparison, the pre pandemic 2019 NBA finals only averaged about 15.1 viewers so the networks will still pay big money.  NBC, CBS, ABC/ESPN, FOX, and also Amazon will all be bidding for contracts.  You're going to see the NFL pry make at minimum 10 billion a year on tv revenue alone.  I think it will be much more interesting 10 years from now.

8 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Let's see how the upfronts go this year as the canary.

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

NFL trying get new commitments in time for setting this year's salary cap