Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Rear Ended/Bad Drivers

Foxx

Mine was back in 2000, less than a week after picking up my new (to me) Ford Ranger.  I was sitting at a red light, behind three or four other cars, and in my mirror I can see this car coming up fast.  I think to myself, they're not going to be able to stop in time, since it had been raining and the roads were still wet, so I put both feet on the brake and press down as hard as I can. Sure enough, they hit me.  Get out, check the damage, their front bumper is ripped off, hood is crumbled.  My damage? It pushed the rear bumper in about an inch, not even noticeable unless I showed you.  

Second part of the story, we both had the same insurance company (State Farm).  When it came time to get my truck looked at for the claim, somehow the claim was written as I was the one that ran into her.  Thankfully it was an easy paperwork fix since it was obvious I was the one rear ended.  In the end, they gave me my check but I never bothered getting the bumper fixed.  

Edited by Just Jack

Dropped of the truck this morning to get repaired. 

So far the experience has been mostly positive. The other parties insurance company gave me more than the estimate came in for, to address COVID concerns. Initially they tried to stick me into an economy rental, I expressed that that might not be adequate for my needs, so they upgraded me. 

The repair should take 4 days unless there is a supplemental issue found. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
RochesterRob

If Foxx, Ann or some other mod is reading this perhaps we can expand the title to Rear Ended/ Bad Drivers to minimize threads with similar material?  Went out to do a couple of errands yesterday.  Confronted with a driver leaving a gas station/ convenience store.  This driver has fully blocked the lane for vehicles intending to come into the parking lot.  Good thing I was paying attention and gave this driver the opportunity to leave the area.  A pre-occupied vehicle operator might have just made the turn into the business hitting the lane blocker.  Bad enough when people do not follow the rules of arriving at a 4 way intersection when somebody arrives ahead of them intending to turn.  

• Like 1

When in college I had a crappy old Toyota for a winter car and I got rear ended just sitting at a stop sign.  Pissed, get out of car and another college student, a drop dead gorgeous young woman gets out.  Not much damage to my crap car.  VIrtually none to hers.  No longer am I pissed.  She was very apologetic and we agreed after some dialogue that she'd pay me $200 in a couple weeks.  She was a waitress part time in addition to being a student and said her parents would kill her if she had to contact the insurance company.  By the time we're done exchanging info including phone numbers and insurance info (just in case) I figure I'm spending the 200 bucks on a fun night out just her and I. 

She played me like a fiddle, strung me along for a month at which time I contacted her insurance co and went to a drive thru claim service.  They cut me a check for about $450 on the spot.  I only paid $150 for the car.  I would have been happier with $200 and a date. 

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
On 4/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, Ninety-4 said:

When in college I had a crappy old Toyota for a winter car and I got rear ended just sitting at a stop sign.  Pissed, get out of car and another college student, a drop dead gorgeous young woman gets out.  Not much damage to my crap car.  VIrtually none to hers.  No longer am I pissed.  She was very apologetic and we agreed after some dialogue that she'd pay me $200 in a couple weeks.  She was a waitress part time in addition to being a student and said her parents would kill her if she had to contact the insurance company.  By the time we're done exchanging info including phone numbers and insurance info (just in case) I figure I'm spending the 200 bucks on a fun night out just her and I. 

She played me like a fiddle, strung me along for a month at which time I contacted her insurance co and went to a drive thru claim service.  They cut me a check for about $450 on the spot.  I only paid $150 for the car.  I would have been happier with $200 and a date. 

Paragraph 1 sounded all “Dear Penthouse Forum”. 

Paragraph 2 was a real bummer.  

Shame on you.  Shame on you sir. 

• Haha 3