Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What was the last thing you did?

Boyst

@Augie had it come up as well in a thread. Pre-CoVid and before the 2 weeks we took to flatten the curve last year what was the last thing you did that was "normal?"

For me it was a wine and design with my wife and some friends. Just a random normal Wednesday night thing in mid March. I don't drink wine and I barely designed but it was fun for a first time experience.

In NC life is fairly open. My county isn't very strict on enforcing a thing. Businesses are left at their discretion to decide. I've been in the gym almost daily since August, working at the job site since early June, and going about life pretty normal since.

• Cheers 1

We were vacationing in Spain.  We travel a lot (pre covid), so that was normal for us. I cannot wait for normal to return and to start traveling again. 

• Like 2

The event I mentioned in the other thread was joining my wife while she worked in NYC. We made a long weekend out of it and Saw To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway. Fabulous, and we had no idea it would be the last fun thing we’d be doing for quite a while. Enjoyed it so much we named our new Covid puppy Scout! 

My world may have changed more than most. My wife used to travel much of the month for work leaving me home alone with the dog. Now? Not only is she in the same city, we are in the same house!  

@Ann We were scheduled to have a trip next October-November to Italy, France and Spain but it looks like that is cancelled. We are assuming it will just be moved back a year. Instead we are taking a few weeks in the NC mountains during the summer. Beat the heat and we can do something different while still avoiding crowds. Have to adapt! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The event I mentioned in the other thread was joining my wife while she worked in NYC. We made a long weekend out of it and Saw To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway. Fabulous, and we had no idea it would be the last fun thing we’d be doing for quite a while. Enjoyed it so much we named our new Covid puppy Scout! 

My world may have changed more than most. My wife used to travel much of the month for work leaving me home alone with the dog. Now? Not only is she in the same city, we are in the same house!  

@Ann We were scheduled to have a trip next October-November to Italy, France and Spain but it looks like that is cancelled. We are assuming it will just be moved back a year. Instead we are taking a few weeks in the NC mountains during the summer. Beat the heat and we can do something different while still avoiding crowds. Have to adapt! 

Let me know when you'll be around. I am up there climbing a lot in the Fall.

I went to my grandmother's funeral. It was the same day Kobe died. I started to get sick three days after and was sick for the next six weeks. Finally healthy, I met my best friend for happy hour that Friday, March 13th.

• Sad 1

I had a great month before the world blew up last year.

Mid-Feb:  saw Bob Weir at his club in Mill Valley w/ a buddy

Late-Feb:  took one daughter to SF symphony

Leap Day:  took another daughter to Hamilton

Early March:  took third daughter to Warriors game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boyst said:

Let me know when you'll be around. I am up there climbing a lot in the Fall.

Will do. We are having the master bath gutted and renovated while we are gone. Had ZERO desire to live thru THAT. We may extend a week to refinish the wood floors. Projects we have put off because because they upset your lives so much. 

The contractor had just finished another bathroom and was planning to start a half bath remodel when Covid hit the fan. Everything got put on HOLD for a loooong time before we felt comfortable letting a string of strangers come and go from the house again. Strange times!

This reminds me of 2008 when we had a landscape lighting project planned. It was only a few grand, but when the banks started failing we came to a screeching halt. It felt like the world as we knew it might have ended. In time, things bounce back to something resembling “normal”. 

So.....I guess we were finally in the midst of renovating a 20 year bold house when Covid hit. Hadn’t thought of it that way but that’s one more thing in our lives that got held up a year. 

Edited by Augie

Our offices shut down for a day on March 11 for a trial run of temporary closing.   I went back on March 12 for a happy hour lunch with a friend.  Things closed down for good on the 13th.   

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Lemme know where you are going! We spent six weeks in Italy the fall of 2019, were in Spain for three weeks winter 2020 (was supposed to be six but it got cut short), and cannot wait to return to both. Hubby’s family on his mother’s side is French, so all trips there are family-related in France (no pun). 

Last thing I remember was being at a weekend St Patrick's party (March 14th) at one of the in-laws houses.  That was the day it was announced that all schools in the county were being shut down, spring sports cancelled, etc. 

We were supposed to be on a Caribbean cruise a few weeks later that ended up being cancelled.  So we rescheduled for this year, and of course that got cancelled also. 

Edited by Just Jack

30 minutes ago, Ann said:

Lemme know where you are going! We spent six weeks in Italy the fall of 2019, were in Spain for three weeks winter 2020 (was supposed to be six but it got cut short), and cannot wait to return to both. Hubby’s family on his mother’s side is French, so all trips there are family-related in France (no pun). 

I’d LOVE to be able to stay that long but that won’t happen until the wife retires. That would really let you get immersed in the culture. I guess the longer she works the easier we can afford it. 

We were scheduled to start in Rome then take a Windstar cruise ending in Barcelona. Same ship we took from Barcelona to Lisbon about 18 months ago. Only about 300 people and the only cruise line affiliated with the James Beard Foundation. NOT “cruise food”. Had a blast then and going with the same group of friends (a bunch of former church folks in general, and a couple of old friends in particular). Great travel partners are an awesome thing! We were going to spend a week or so in Italy pre-cruise but that plan never got fully developed when this little Covid thing popped up. She’s Italian and they know the various areas fairly well. I know squat and just tag along. If we ever get close to actually going I’d love to hear what you think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Will do. We are having the master bath gutted and renovated while we are gone. Had ZERO desire to live thru THAT. We may extend a week to refinish the wood floors. Projects we have put off because because they upset your lives so much. 

The contractor had just finished another bathroom and was planning to start a half bath remodel when Covid hit the fan. Everything got put on HOLD for a loooong time before we felt comfortable letting a string of strangers come and go from the house again. Strange times!

This reminds me of 2008 when we had a landscape lighting project planned. It was only a few grand, but when the banks started failing we came to a screeching halt. It felt like the world as we knew it might have ended. In time, things bounce back to something resembling “normal”. 

So.....I guess we were finally in the midst of renovating a 20 year bold house when Covid hit. Hadn’t thought of it that way but that’s one more thing in our lives that got held up a year. 

Look up the virginia creeper trailer and do it while you're in the neck of the woods. The first 17 miles of biking is all downhill and requires no activity. 

15 minutes ago, Boyst said:

Look up the virginia creeper trailer and do it while you're in the neck of the woods. The first 17 miles of biking is all downhill and requires no activity. 

It’s the NEXT 17 miles that would concern me! I did just 6-8 miles with a buddy in Florida recently. Two laps on a trail. He bikes regularly and I had not been on one since I moved to hilly Atlanta a decade ago. Even HE admitted we were going against the stinkin’ wind the whole way. That SOUNDS impossible, but there we were. 

Edited by Augie

16 hours ago, AZ. said:

I attended my friend's 50th birthday party at The Lost Well here in Austin last year on February 29th. I haven't done anything socially since.

I thought it only knocked you out for February 30th and 31st?

• Haha 1

I don't remember the last thing that I did that was "normal"

But I do remember the last thing that I was anticipating

Rammstein

At FedEx Field.  Home of the Washington Redskins

I've been waiting like, i dunno, 20 years to see Rammstein in concert.  And I finally scored tickets for a show in August(?) 2020

Then COVID cancelled the show

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:07 PM, Ann said:

They tried doing it virtually in Syracuse last year.  People were supposed to make the food at home from recipes provided by the normal restaurants.  

2020 Taste of Syracuse to go on with ‘virtual’ festival due to coronavirus - syracuse.com

Virtual 2020 Taste of Syracuse: Eating, entertainment, and more - syracuse.com

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like 1